X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

"Man-Thing" Marvel Monster

Does anybody like the Marvel monster Man-Thing? I love him so much I'm making a custom!! Is anybody interested in Marvel monsters besides me, or am I wasting my time and money making stuff I'm the only one who wants?
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

I thought about doing him next....if you need any of this green crap I got from the pet store...let me know.
    I did Swamp Thing this year and made the Custom's Spotlight (before they got tired of it and yanked it down)

More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
      Formerly known as Del
      • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      Does anybody like the Marvel monster Man-Thing? I love him so much I'm making a custom!! Is anybody interested in Marvel monsters besides me, or am I wasting my time and money making stuff I'm the only one who wants?
      How is it a waste, if it's a character you want? Unless you only consider it worthwhile to make customs you can sell, then I guess it would be a waste.
      Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
      https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
      http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
        Career Member
        • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        I've been planning a Man-Thing custom for a while, got the head (from Juanimal - Thanks again!) a month or two ago, drawing on some ideas from pics of 12" customs of Man-Thing I saw (your's Lonnie, I think) and my own thoughts but haven't yet talked to the customizers that make 'em for me.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by StrangeVisitor
          I've been planning a Man-Thing custom for a while, got the head (from Juanimal - Thanks again!) a month or two ago, drawing on some ideas from pics of 12" customs of Man-Thing I saw (your's Lonnie, I think) and my own thoughts but haven't yet talked to the customizers that make 'em for me.
          You should buy one from me!! It will be WAY COOLER!! I promise...

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Just the fact that you can talk about 8 inch Man-Things makes this a worthwhile custom.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• BlackKnight
              The DarkSide Customizer
              • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ I dunno if I wanna Touch Someone Else's ManThing..., let alone Display it on my Shelf.
              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Megospidey
                Museum Webslinger
                • Jul 26, 2006

Both IllegalMego (actually I think it was his brother, Alter-Mego) and Captain Mego have made a "Man-Thing" custom. Those are the only two I've ever seen - hope to make him/it someday as well.

Outside of Spider-man and Werewolf by Night, he is one of my favorite Marvel characters.

Here is Cap Mego's version: http://captainmego.com/captainmego_059.htm

Comment

• shellhead
                  museum rustpot
                  • Mar 1, 2007

I always thought the issues called " Giant Sized Man Thing" were a little disturbing.
                  Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by shellhead
                    I always thought the issues called " Giant Sized Man Thing" were a little disturbing.
                    I bet 5 bucks that name for that character did infact become invented after some alone time.
                    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Megospidey
                      Both IllegalMego (actually I think it was his brother, Alter-Mego) and Captain Mego have made a "Man-Thing" custom. Those are the only two I've ever seen - hope to make him/it someday as well.

Outside of Spider-man and Werewolf by Night, he is one of my favorite Marvel characters.

Here is Cap Mego's version: http://captainmego.com/captainmego_059.htm
                      I like it, but it isn't very Mego. I don't think it has any mego parts on it at all. I did see a Mego Man-Thing on ebay with green fur for the costume and it was pretty lame. Looked like a stuffed toy...
                      The figure you link to has no feet either. Mine is made from mego parts, and parts made from mego parts. The only things I got from another toy that didn't start out being mego are the hands. The head and trunk section of the torso are totally original sculpts by me. The feet came from another toy but they were made from a Mego Hulk set of feet. I have found LOTS and LOTS of toys that are sculpted using Mego parts. You have no clue how many figures are directly ripped off from Mego.
                      The one in the link seems a little skinny. I will feed mine miracle grow so he isn't so frail looking.
                      I'm trying to stay with the Mego bodies as a start. His is no more Mego than the four Famous Covers ones that I made.
                      Wait until you see this new one! I'm getting pretty close to being finished with one now. He will be a little more fragile than most customs, 'cuz he has lots of real moss on him. If he gets a daily misting of water he would actually grow. I thought about taking one outside and leaving him for about a year so he can get really mossy and then keep him in a house plants pot so he can grow and flourish. (maybe not...)

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                        Formerly known as Del
                        • Dec 12, 2004

How long until you start offering Chia Megos?
                        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                          Career Member
                          • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by Megospidey
                          Both IllegalMego (actually I think it was his brother, Alter-Mego) and Captain Mego have made a "Man-Thing" custom.
                          I did see a Mego Man-Thing on ebay with green fur for the costume and it was pretty lame. Looked like a stuffed toy...
                          Yes, here's Alter Mego's:

A bit shaggier than I'd do (had I any talent for customs).

(About Captain Mego's version)
                          I like it, but it isn't very Mego. I don't think it has any mego parts on it at all.
                          The figure you link to has no feet either.The one in the link seems a little skinny.
                          Chris is a highly talented artisan and sculptor but I think that his version breaks the "rule" of Mego customs that there be a fabric costume/bodysuit as part of it. Also the no feet thing bothers me a little.

Wait until you see this new one! I'm getting pretty close to being finished with one now. He will be a little more fragile than most customs, 'cuz he has lots of real moss on him. If he gets a daily misting of water he would actually grow. I thought about taking one outside and leaving him for about a year so he can get really mossy and then keep him in a house plants pot so he can grow and flourish. (maybe not...)
                          Authenticity is a good thing but perhaps using real moss might be overdoing it a little, Lonnie. Being misted daily may make it moldy more than mossy. Just my opinion.
                          Last edited by StrangeVisitor; Dec 19, '09, 2:40 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by del
                            I almost called him that...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by StrangeVisitor
                              Authenticity is a good thing but perhaps using real moss might be overdoing it a little, Lonnie. Being misted daily may make it moldy more than mossy. Just my opinion.
                              I would never really water it. And it would grow and not mold. (I live in Forest Grove, moss is everywhere! And it grows on anything.) Have you seen my other Man-Thing figures?
                              customs (mostly Famous Covers) - Mego Talk
                              This might link to the thread. Look all the way down the page. Lots of pictures. I have at least three different Man-Thing customs in there. I think one of them really sucks! It had too much moss and only took about two hours to make the whole thing. But the one that is way taller than the Hulk is awesome(if i do say so myself) and I sold him for $250.00. I think the one I'm working on now is way better.
                              No offense to the custom fluffy plush cuddly soft Man-thing stuffy. He just kinda looks like a green ape.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎