X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

"As the World Turns" Cancelled

Pretty sure my mom watched this at some point.

<<As The World Turns cancelled!
    This just in — As The World Turns, the long-running daytime drama, will complete its final season on CBS in September 2010. CBS has decided not to renew the show for the 2010-11 broadcast season, thereby ending its 54-year run on the network.

“Throughout our history, As The World Turns has remained dedicated to sharing compelling stories that have entertained fans for more than five decades,” said Executive Producer Chris Goutman. “We are disappointed and saddened by the news that the show is not being renewed. It will certainly be a loss for all of us, and for the show’s loyal audience.”

“As The World Turns has been a cornerstone of our business and a tremendous asset to the company,” said Brian T. Cahill, Senior Vice President and Managing Director, TeleNext Media, Inc. “We are proactively seeking a new outlet to carry the show, and are open to exploring innovative formats and relationships that will enable the future success of ATWT.”

The epitome of multi-generational, serial storytelling, As The World Turns has been entertaining generations of fans for more than half a century. The show boasts a well-loved and long-tenured cast, including actress Helen Wagner (Nancy Hughes) who spoke the first words on the premičre broadcast of ATWT in 1956. To this day, Nancy is still at the helm of the Hughes family, earning Wagner the distinction of portraying the longest-running character in television history. Other veteran cast members still on the show today include Eileen Fulton (Lisa Grimaldi) and Don Hastings (Dr. Bob Hughes) who each have played their characters for 49 years; Marie Masters (Dr. Susan Stewart) with 41 years; and Kathryn Hays (Kim Hughes) who has starred on the show for 37 years.

As The World Turns has tackled many contemporary themes over the years, including AIDS, Alzheimer’s, alcoholism and more, while remaining true to the show’s rich history and realistic characters. In 1988, the serial made history by introducing daytime television's first gay male character, Hank Eliot (played by Brian Starcher), for which it was honored at the first annual GLAAD media awards in 1990. Created by Irna Phillips, As The World Turns premičred on April 2, 1956 as a 30-minute live television show, unprecedented at the time for a soap opera. Top-rated from 1959 to 1971, it was the first daytime serial with its own spinoff, Our Private World, which aired in prime time. The show switched to color on 1967, and expanded from a half hour in length to one hour in 1975. Over the years, ATWT has been awarded numerous accolades, including 58 Daytime Emmy awards. Set in the fictional Midwestern town of Oakdale, As The World Turns launched the careers of many now-famous Hollywood celebrities, such as Dana Delaney, James Earl Jones, Julianne Moore, Parker Posey, Meg Ryan, and Marisa Tomei to name a few.>>
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

My mom used to watch Days of our Lives and Another World.

Comment

• Cosmicman
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 12, 2005

When I was a teenager I used to watch this off and on during the summer. It was sorta lame story telling and very slow.

This is where Meg Ryan and Julianne Moore got their start.
      More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

As long as they keep 'Days of our lives' running I'm fine...Yes, my wife asked me to sit down and watch it about six weeks ago and I have say it wasn't anything like what Ithought it would be. I'm hooked. Great writing I would even dare say. If you want to try one, that is the place to go. The guy who plays EJ should be cast in the role of a superhero. He's good enough to be one.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

This show lasted for 54 years????
          You'll need a big shelf if they ever release the entire show on DVD
          And have lotsa time when they start the reruns
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Adam West
            Museum CPA
            • Apr 14, 2003

My mom used to watch this soap every single day when I was growing up.

I still have some vague memories of some of the characters and the lame story lines that would run on and on for years.

I can even hear the theme music running through my head as I'm typing this.
            "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Dave Mc
              Administrator
              • Oct 20, 2002

I would bet that some cable station will pick it up, at least for a while. Lifetime or something like that. What isn't good numbers for one of the big three would be considered huge for one of those stations.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

^Soap Net might pick it up down the road.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

dam it's done? wow
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Mikey01
                    My mom used to watch Days of our Lives and Another World.
                    Mine too....and going way back, throw in "The Doctors" as well and "Somerset".
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

My mom only watches Latino telenovelas...lol.

Man...I don't know why I don't watch them myself...they feature some of the hottest women on the planet...lol...

sigpic

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Makes you wonder what's gonna replace it.

*shudder*

Don C.

Comment

• Mod Style
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 1, 2009

Soaps seem to be a dying breed.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

My Mom was a CBS Soap person, so she watch As the World Turns, Young and the Restless, and Guiding Light. Now only Y&R is left I guess.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Mod Style
                              Soaps seem to be a dying breed.
                              I think it's because many primetime TV shows are actually soaps with a bigger budget in disguise.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎