Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

>Use the original shrimpy T1 chest on a T2 body with a custom AJ head.

That's an idea.... I just slapped mine on regualr old T2 bods.

>Make some better than original jumpsuits

Oh yeah! I had an original nylon one that would come apart just looking at it. I dethreaded it and used it as a pattern for better ones.

Don C.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

As far as I know, kids painted them...small hands. Almost made me quit collecting when I heard that.

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
        Museum Patron
        • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
        On the Type 1 glued pelvis (not the early Type 0 which was made of the same plastic as the rest of the body) you can restring them and loop the elastic up over the pin in the pelvis before connecting between the legs and that helps a bit with the leg splay.

You can't mix Type 1 & Type 2 pelvis and torso as they don't fit together. The "round" part is molded on the torso on T2 and molded on the pelvis on T1's. You can probably mix T2 arms & legs on a T1 torso/pelvis combo, though.
        I do agree with you on the chest (torso) problem on some T2 figures, though. I always felt they should've made a leaner torso for figures like Happy Days, Waltons, Trek.
        I've considered swapping bodies on some of those just to see what they'd look like "correctly done".
        Rich
        Thanks for the info. I don't own any bodies except the T-0s that my eBay AJs came on so I don't really know what I'm talking about, yet. I'll make it work, somehow. My goal for my custom project is to have AJ on a higher-quality body that can sit, stand, etc a little better. He should have his original proportions, though. It's my understanding the T-2 bodies are a little bigger in the chest which probably would make his clothes too tight. I considered using a buff body with AJ a while ago but decided against it because if I change him too much...he's not AJ anymore!

Eventually, I'll get some bodies and see what I can mix and match or flat-out custom make. Since I'm not contemplating a mass-production, I might make a modified T-0 chest mold with an added rounded part (or whatever's required for a fit) and cast some custom body part that'll work with an upgraded body...

The finished products should look similar to this imposter:

Just kidding...he was cool, too...
        Last edited by AJ-Paratrooper; Dec 9, '09, 11:19 AM. Reason: My Thoughts are Scattered
        DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
          Museum Patron
          • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
          As far as I know, kids painted them...small hands. Almost made me quit collecting when I heard that.
          Yeah, that's disturbing. I was envisioning a bunch of ladies sitting at tables hand painting.....hope it wasn't kids...

Comment

• kryptosmaster
            Removed.
            • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
            And then they went to work 2nd shift at Kathie Lee Gifford's sweatshop.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
              Removed.
              • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by AJ-Paratrooper
              It's my understanding the T-2 bodies are a little bigger in the chest which probably would make his clothes too tight.
              Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about when I said I was thinking about redoing some. Specifically Richie Cunningham, who is just busting out of his shirt.
              Rich

Comment

• AAAAA
                Permanent Member
                • Oct 28, 2005

I would like to revamp the pilot oufit for AJ in different colors ,a green and a brown are needed.

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                  Museum Patron
                  • Mar 1, 2008

More About AJ Heads....Blue Eyes!?!

I've just seen 2 separate ebay listings for AJ and they both have blue eyes!

I assume that's a common variation or did somebody touch AJ up?

Changing colors of suits, adding accessories, custom bodies...there's a lot I'd like to do for 'ol AJ. The details about the original AJ are driving me nuts, though....blue eyes...hmmm, I've never seen that before.

Last edited by AJ-Paratrooper; Dec 9, '09, 9:51 PM.

Comment

• AAAAA
                    Permanent Member
                    • Oct 28, 2005

i think someone custom did it

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                      MeGoing
                      • May 14, 2003

I have never seen (or heard of) a blue eyed one before, but I think it looks nice for a custom.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                        Removed.
                        • Jun 14, 2008

You sure it's not just a trick of the camera? (blue eyes) Or have you seen these in person?
                        Rich

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

I am intrigued about how the heads were made in those days. Did they mask off everything but the hair part and spraypaint it? I'm having trouble envisioning how spraypaint would've been used in making them. (I'm still a newbie when it comes to figures)

Those heads have to be a handmade project, no?
                          nice Museum picture - i didn't realize there were T1 AJ neck plugs. I haven't swapped many of the heads so I prob had some and didn't know.

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                            Museum Patron
                            • Mar 1, 2008

I just saw these while browsing on eBay. They are 2 different auctions. The snow suit guy must be a custom or an obscure variation. In some of the other pictures, you can tell he's got brown hair, not the usual black.

The AJ's eyes on the helicopter look different, too...I don't know what to think.

I don't think it's a camera anomaly.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

• mego73
                              Printed paperboard Tiger
                              • Aug 1, 2003

Yeah, that's disturbing. I was envisioning a bunch of ladies sitting at tables hand painting.....hope it wasn't kids...
                              I have heard that it was kids that did the white spot on the eyes but I doubt it because it's too perfectly round.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                                Museum Patron
                                • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by mego73
                                I have heard that it was kids that did the white spot on the eyes but I doubt it because it's too perfectly round.
                                Yeah, I really doubt a child could sit there with a tiny paintbrush and do the eyes all day....no way. No way my kids would sit there & do that!!!!

One thing I've noticed...you can get a reproduction Mego head of just about anything!...except Action Jackson! ok Dr. Mego has a black AJ head but that's it....no caucasian ones. Want a Robin Hood? No problem. An Apes Astronaut? no problem...AJ????!! forget it.... weird

I'm guessing it's because original AJs aren't that rare?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎