X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kryptosmaster
    Removed.
    • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
    I know exactly what you are talking about. It's the Sears Video Arcade 2. All black and buttons instead of switches. It was molded to look like the 7800 but was based on the 2600 hardware.

http://www.atariage.com/2600/systems...deoArcade2.jpg
    yep, that's it.
    That was a nice system. I was thinking 5200 but you are probably right about the 7800 design influence (although I had completely forget there was even such a thing as the 7800 until you just mentioned it here) and it did play the 2600 cartridges. That was the cool part because after that twerp broke my controllers I could still use the Atari ones. They had the same plugs.
    I really liked the combo controllers and the push-button design.
    I truly regret lending it to that "friend" because it was 100% mint and complete (right down to all the little baggies, cardboard inserts and twist ties that it came with)and I always wrapped it up and put it back in the box after I was done playing it.
    Rich

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
      yep, that's it.
      That was a nice system.
      The combo joystick/paddle controllers were especially neat.

I was thinking 5200 but you are probably right about the 7800 design influence
      The 5200 was HUGE and had compartments in the back to store the controllers. I loved the 5200. It was my first game console and had great graphics for the time. On par with Colecovision. What hurt it was its crap controllers. Very fragile.

(although I had completely forget there was even such a thing as the 7800 until you just mentioned it here) and it did play the 2600 cartridges. That was the cool part because after that twerp broke my controllers I could still use the Atari ones. They had the same plugs.
      The Sega Master System and Sega Genesis pads also work on the 2600/7800.

I truly regret lending it to that "friend" because it was 100% mint and complete (right down to all the little baggies, cardboard inserts and twist ties that it came with)and I always wrapped it up and put it back in the box after I was done playing it.
      Same thing happened to me when I loaned my 7800 to my sister. It was mint in box when I loaned it to her. It looked factory mint. Absolutely brand new. She trashed the box and scuffed the system a bit. Still worked when I got it back just didn't look as nice. Ugh! She also scratched the screen of my Atari Lynx and busted the AC adapter. Arggghhhh!!!! I don't loan her games anymore.
      Last edited by Werewolf; Dec 3, '09, 3:01 PM. Reason: typos
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I forgot to add, if anyone needs a quick Atari fix and they don't have access to a vintage console there's a couple of high quality new items which are pretty easy to get.

The easiest and cheapest way to go is the Jakks Plug n Play Atari. It looks like a vintage 2600 controller and has 10 built in 2600 games. These are currently sold at Walmart and TRU for around $19.99. The games are emulated but done very well.

Welcome to JAKKS TV Games Atari

Then there's the Atari Flashback 2. It's out of production but amazon.com still has it in stock for $34.99.

Amazon.com: Atari Flashback 2 Plug and Play: Video Games

What's great about the FB2 is it's actually real 2600 hardware and comes with two real 2600 joysticks that also work on vintage 2600 and 7800 systems. It has 40 built in 2600 games and two hidden that you can play if you have the vintage 2600 paddles. The system doesn't have a cartridge port but can be modded to take one. It's probably worth the $34.99 just for the two new 2600 joysticks alone.

The down side to the FB2 is there are graphic glitches and errors if played on some HDTVs. Not all that surprising though considering HD resolutions didn't exist when the 2600 was released.

DON"T get the first Atari Flashback. It was not real Atari hardware. It was based on the NES on a chip design and all the games are emulated.
        Last edited by Werewolf; Dec 3, '09, 3:19 PM.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

The local Kroger got in a bunch of Flashback 2s for Christmas.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

I have a few of those old systems somewhere in my garage, they belonged to my uncle back in the day
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by toys2cool
              I have a few of those old systems somewhere in my garage, they belonged to my uncle back in the day
              Cripes man, what are you waiting for!? Go hook em up! Go, go, go!!

Comment

• R.O.M.
                • Jun 30, 2009

I skipped the Atari and started out with the white 2nd gen Intellivision. Pitfall and Hockey were my favorites on that one.

Had a lot of fun with that one for about a year, until Colecovision came out. I begged and pleaded for that, and Christmas of '82 (?), I got it. The big game for me was Zaxxon, because the graphics were like a step up from anything else at the time on a home system. There were many other games that I loved, though, including Time Pilot (my band's name!), Mouse Trap, Cosmic Avenger, Looping, and even the Smurf game.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

A few years back I bought that Atari plug and play for my kids at the school. My boss also gave them an Activision plug and play which looks more like a modern day contoller w/ buttons.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    Cripes man, what are you waiting for!? Go hook em up! Go, go, go!!
                    yeah maybe I'll give it a try,I just remember not liking it too much as a kid
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by toys2cool
                      yeah maybe I'll give it a try,I just remember not liking it too much as a kid
                      Just keep in mind there have always been bad games and shovelware. So don't let a few bad games color your opinion of all vintage games and consoles. There's a lot of gems on those old systems that are still fun today.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                        GLOWS in the Dark!
                        • May 3, 2006

Commercial....
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2EIsnr_cv4

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                          Removed.
                          • Jun 14, 2008

Anyone remember Vectrex? I remember seeing those in the store and thinking they were just AWESOME. Disappeared pretty fast though.

Not quite a home gaming system but rather the first handheld game with interchangeable cartridges was Microvision.
                          I still have mine. I loved that game. Still missing a few cartridges but I need to find a better console as the screens tend to get "LCD-rot" and turn black. It still works but hard to see clearly.
                          Rich

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                            Removed.
                            • Jun 14, 2008

I found a pic of the Sears box. This is the EXACT one I had.

Rich

cant seem to get the pic to show.
                            Last edited by kryptosmaster; Dec 3, '09, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                              Anyone remember Vectrex? I remember seeing those in the store and thinking they were just AWESOME. Disappeared pretty fast though.

Not quite a home gaming system but rather the first handheld game with interchangeable cartridges was Microvision.
                              I still have mine. I loved that game. Still missing a few cartridges but I need to find a better console as the screens tend to get "LCD-rot" and turn black. It still works but hard to see clearly.
                              Rich

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/MB/MB-MicrovisionUS.jpg

I have that! But the LCD screen bled and now it's black. But I got a boxed Microvision and 2 boxed games at a garage sale for $5! I'd say I got my money's worth!
                              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                                Removed.
                                • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                                I have that! But the LCD screen bled and now it's black. But I got a boxed Microvision and 2 boxed games at a garage sale for $5! I'd say I got my money's worth!
                                OOH! $5! I'm jealous. I've tried to win a few on ebay but always seem to get outbid. There are still good ones out there without the screen rot. I haven't looked lately but someday I want to get one with a good screen. The games are fun. I like the bowling one and pinball.
                                Rich

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎