Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j_scott_o
    • Nov 14, 2009

Need Melted Plastic Removed from Outfits

Does anyone have any tips on how to get melted plastic off of outfits without sacrificing the integrity of the fabric including the color? I just dug out a bag out of storage and it had several outfits and a few busted up figures in it. Unfortunately, one of the busted up figures was a Durham karate dude. He just melted stuff over several of the outfits in there. I haven't been able to find anything in the museum or forums on this.
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

How thick is the plastic? Would WD40 or something like that work? To remove wax from my own clothing, I've laid the cloth between two towels and ironed it on a light setting. I was able to transfer enough of the wax onto the towel that the item was still wearable. I've never tried it with Mego outfits and plastic, but if you don't get other suggestions, maybe you could just try one. Just start out setting the iron as low as it will go, and with plenty of ventilation. If the plastic starts to soften, it could cause fumes, or at least a bad smell.
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• j_scott_o
      • Nov 14, 2009

del,
      Some of the plastic spots are thick and some real thin. I did read online to do something similar to what you are saying, but, they say to use a brown paper bag. Then, when you iron, the plastic will stick to the bag. But, like you say, that is clothing, not Mego outfits, so, I'm a little cautious of trying that. I may give it a shot to a piece that I don't really care about and see what happens.

WD40 might be a good method. I was thinking of trying Goo Gone or some similar item as well.

Comment

• generic
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by j_scott_o
        ...I did read online to do something similar to what you are saying, but, they say to use a brown paper bag.
        I've used the butcher paper method to get wax out of cloth (it works fairly well, but even after several ironings, there's still some wax), but I've never tried it with Mego clothes or plastic. You may be able to heat up the plastic enough to pull it off if the chuck is big enough.
        Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• j_scott_o
          • Nov 14, 2009

Well, glad I chose an item I didn't care too much about. Not that it ruined the pants or anything, but, the plastic went thru to the other side of the pants. DOH! I wasn't thinking, I should have put a piece of paper inside the pant leg. Oh well, live and learn. But, the hot iron with paper bag method did take some off.

Comment

• hobub
            Ghost of a Dead Indian
            • Jun 18, 2001

Perhaps try isotone or heavy duty fingernail polish remover. Well, I guess I'm late to the topic. But I think isotone might have worked without ruining the suit. It's great for Superglue and Great Stuff (before it sets).

Comment

• weatherwizard-Corey
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jul 1, 2008

Other Options?

I have a the same problem on my brother in law's Johnny West and GI Joe figures. Somebodies plastic coat got a little too warm and it's all over the figures he had down in a box. I'll post pics soon if that would help. I was thinking of just bringing them to the meet and seeing what people thought then but when I saw this post I wanted to see what some more ideas might be.
              Wanted:- 12" Robin Shoes; Mego Batcave, Mego Die-cast Batman-loose, Mattel-BSG Gold Cylon loose.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Getting plastic out is a lot harder than removing a stain 'cos the plastic melts it's way into the fibers of the material. Depending how deeply rooted it is, you might not be able to get it out.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎