Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just thought i would share this story with you..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by 70's-toy-fan
    Very true..there are people out there that are oblivious and will pay..i just talked to the owner on the phone to see what else might have went down and he said other dealers call him the shyster from other shops over the years and say he uses unscrupulous tatics to make a buck.
    I don't understand why anyone would buy vintage toys from an antique mall, or anywhere else for that matter, without doing their research. That guy's prices weren't amounts most people could just drop as an impulse buy. I have very little sympathy for anyone who might buy from him just because he said that the item is worth that much. I am curious as to what other unscrupulous tactics he might be using. Undisclosed repros?
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

what a rip off
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

come to think of it, $20 each was still to high

Comment

• 70's-toy-fan
          Museum Patron
          • Nov 9, 2009

Originally posted by toys2cool
          come to think of it, $20 each was still to high
          Yeah it was but i just threw it out there so it wouldn't come to that argument but it failed anyway..
          Life is a wonderful journey..where you step changes your path through it!

Comment

• 70's-toy-fan
            Museum Patron
            • Nov 9, 2009

Originally posted by del
            I don't understand why anyone would buy vintage toys from an antique mall, or anywhere else for that matter, without doing their research. That guy's prices weren't amounts most people could just drop as an impulse buy. I have very little sympathy for anyone who might buy from him just because he said that the item is worth that much. I am curious as to what other unscrupulous tactics he might be using. Undisclosed repros?
            Well i did check them over pretty well but I didn't know how he was because i just met the guy as a new seller there..but only now found out how he does buisness.I stay clear of him in the future and deal with the good dealers who i have trusted in the past.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
              Removed.
              • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
              At one place in Buffalo, a very old lady used to set up every week with her $250 Batman and Iron Man, both were missing everything.
              I remember that old lady! In the GEX indoor flea market on Walden, right? She had a semi-enclosed booth somewhere in the middle with a "window" in it. I remember a Mego Batmobile with (I think) Batman & Robin in it. She'd never go down on her prices.
              Man she must've never sold a damn thing. Same stuff in the same spots, week after week, year after year. Then all of a sudden one week she was gone. I thought she died. Then saw her in the Clarence Antique World indoors (same stuff still!) and then never again.
              Rich

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                I remember that old lady! In the GEX indoor flea market on Walden, right? She had a semi-enclosed booth somewhere in the middle with a "window" in it. I remember a Mego Batmobile with (I think) Batman & Robin in it. She'd never go down on her prices.
                Man she must've never sold a damn thing. Same stuff in the same spots, week after week, year after year. Then all of a sudden one week she was gone. I thought she died. Then saw her in the Clarence Antique World indoors (same stuff still!) and then never again.
                Rich
                I never saw her at Super Flea but she was pretty much a late ninties staple at Clarence, she had baskets hanging up with naked 12" Luke Skywalkers and such, all of which were super pricey. She looked real out of it.

I do remember a lady with a glass enclosure at Walden too, I got some AJ knock off suits from her. She was younger though and much of her stuff was Fisher Price.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• kennermike
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 4, 2007

Im surprised the Antique Malls are still in business? .its the digital age people buy collectibles from Ebay and many other places on the web and the deals are cheap.that old man was crazy! charging those prices for loose Trek Figures he didnt know any better !! that pretty sad on so many levels!

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by mattelmike
                    Im surprised the Antique Malls are still in business? .its the digital age people buy collectibles from Ebay and many other places on the web and the deals are cheap.that old man was crazy! charging those prices for loose Trek Figures he didnt know any better !! that pretty sad on so many levels!
                    yeah i think there's only one left here and it sucks

Comment

• drmego
                      EMCE Toys
                      • Jun 15, 2001

All the guy has to do is to sell one loose Trek to someone who has more
                      money than sense and his price is justified. Until that day, just smile
                      and walk on. He can ask any price he likes.

I remember the Creation store in Mineola - the same guys that ran
                      the Thanksgiving weekend Trek convention - they had the second
                      series of aliens (Andorian, Romulan, Mugato, Talosian) for $500 each
                      at a time when they were selling carded Kirks for $10. Everyone
                      thought they were crazy, but they didn't want to come down.

They still had them in 2006 but the price didn't seem so crazy.
                      www.drmego.com
                      www.megoman.com
                      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by drmego

Carded? if so that Romulan would be good

Comment

• 70's-toy-fan
                          Museum Patron
                          • Nov 9, 2009

Originally posted by drmego
                          All the guy has to do is to sell one loose Trek to someone who has more
                          money than sense and his price is justified. Until that day, just smile
                          and walk on. He can ask any price he likes.

Your right he can ask any price he wants and believe me i have already walked away!

Comment

• RG
                            Removed.
                            • Oct 1, 2004

This is the kind of dealer I was talking about before in a post... the one who over prices stuff ... and some sucker buys ... yeah a fool and their money, but I feel as an honest collector and sometimes seller, it's up to me and all of us in the hobby to watch out for the newbie collector, and inform them ... at least when we come across them. Not like we can go out looking for newbie collectors to set on the right path of the hobby lol lol

Comment

• generic
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jun 25, 2009

There was a lady here in Atlanta that set up at the monthly flea market that I used to go to (it's now closed). She had maybe a dozen common megos that were all WAY overpriced, but she mainly had tons of Star Wars stuff and a wide variety of other vintage toys. Although I got some great deals there from other dealers in the late 90s / early 00s, I never bought anything from her. Still, she seemed to sell stuff. It was strange that she did sell stuff since a lot of the same stuff could be found for reasonable prices from other dealers. I guess she just had such a large booth of nothing but toys that people looking for vintage toys would always stop and the other dealers with better prices just had piles of random stuff, so you might not even notice that they were selling toys.

The best deal I ever got there was a 100% MINT Long John Silver taken out of a water-damaged box for $20...which at the time was an insanely good price. It was actually the first pirate I'd ever seen.

Anyway, at least the overpriced toy lady was nice. She wouldn't go down on her prices, but hey, she was selling stuff and she was polite, so I guess some people didn't mind. At another flea market, the only Mego I saw was a beat to hell Paul Stanley missing everything but the suit that a guy was asking $100 for. I asked him if he'd take it out of the case so that I could check it out and he grumbled as he took it out for me. I mentioned that it had a broken leg and was missing the boots, belt armbands and legbands and would he take $50 for it. He gave me a stare that could kill, grabbed it out of my hand and turned his back to me without saying a work. I can't even describe how rude his body language was. What a dick.
                              Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• 70's-toy-fan
                                Museum Patron
                                • Nov 9, 2009

Originally posted by generic
                                There was a lady here in Atlanta that set up at the monthly flea market that I used to go to (it's now closed). She had maybe a dozen common megos that were all WAY overpriced, but she mainly had tons of Star Wars stuff and a wide variety of other vintage toys. Although I got some great deals there from other dealers in the late 90s / early 00s, I never bought anything from her. Still, she seemed to sell stuff. It was strange that she did sell stuff since a lot of the same stuff could be found for reasonable prices from other dealers. I guess she just had such a large booth of nothing but toys that people looking for vintage toys would always stop and the other dealers with better prices just had piles of random stuff, so you might not even notice that they were selling toys.

The best deal I ever got there was a 100% MINT Long John Silver taken out of a water-damaged box for $20...which at the time was an insanely good price. It was actually the first pirate I'd ever seen.

Anyway, at least the overpriced toy lady was nice. She wouldn't go down on her prices, but hey, she was selling stuff and she was polite, so I guess some people didn't mind. At another flea market, the only Mego I saw was a beat to hell Paul Stanley missing everything but the suit that a guy was asking $100 for. I asked him if he'd take it out of the case so that I could check it out and he grumbled as he took it out for me. I mentioned that it had a broken leg and was missing the boots, belt armbands and legbands and would he take $50 for it. He gave me a stare that could kill, grabbed it out of my hand and turned his back to me without saying a work. I can't even describe how rude his body language was. What a dick.
                                I share your anger my friend and it just bothers me that in todays digital world it is so easy to do a little research properly,make both parties in the transaction happy,honestly and we both move on with smiles!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎