Count Chocula, Fraken Berry, Boo Berry, Yummy Mummy & Fruit Brute

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R.O.M.
    • Jun 30, 2009

I recall trying to tell people that there was a 4th monster cereal, but I could never remember exactly what it was!! It was either Fruit Brute or Yummy Mummy that I was thinking of from the late-'70s, early '80s. I had no idea there were actually 5 of them!

Anyone have dates for when they sold those? I'm really curious.

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
      Supporter of Silliness
      • Jun 20, 2007

I think I must be the oddball here. As a kid, we weren't allowed to have sugary cereal at all. To this day, I've never had any of these monster-themed cereals. Am I missing out?

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Donkey Hoatie
        I think I must be the oddball here. As a kid, we weren't allowed to have sugary cereal at all. To this day, I've never had any of these monster-themed cereals. Am I missing out?
        YESSSSSSS!!!!!!
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Rallygirl
          Kitsch rules!
          • May 31, 2008

Around here, Monster Cereals are only available during Halloween. While I suppose I could go on-line and simply order a case any time of the year, I instead choose to raise checkout lane eyebrows by purchasing 20+ boxes at one time from my local grocery store.

My mom also restricted us to the more healthy cereals when we were kids. Our cupboards were stocked with Cherrios and Kix. I was very jealous of my friends who toted baggies of Monster Cereal to school for snacks. I was so envious, in fact, that it didn't take long to figure out our cat's Friskies looked surprisingly similar to Count Chocula and I began eating those at recess! Peer pressure can be a terrible thing! LOL

Meow!
          sigpic

Comment

• generic
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by wayne foundation 07
            Way to share your breakfast with your megos,great pic.
            Oh, I didn't share. I ate it all myself! (That's why my Megos look so angry)

Originally posted by Rallygirl
            I was so envious, in fact, that it didn't take long to figure out our cat's Friskies looked surprisingly similar to Count Chocula and I began eating those at recess! Peer pressure can be a terrible thing! LOL

Meow!
            THAT'S TOO FUNNY!

Originally posted by R.O.M.
            Anyone have dates for when they sold those? I'm really curious.
            Count Chocula and Franken Berry came out in 1971.
            Boo Berry came out in 1973.
            Fruit Brute came out in 1974 and lasted until 1983.
            Yummy Mummy came out in 1987 and lasted until 1993.

Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry have never been out of production since they were first released, but Franken Berry and Boo Berry are produced in smaller quantities and don't have as much distribution as the Count.

Fruit Brute in Reservoir Dogs:

Fruit Brute in Pulp Fiction:
            Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

I loooooved sweetened cereals in the 70's (and I have the cavities to prove it!).

Does anyone remember the the 70's-introduced Cap'n Crunch flavors- Vanilly Crunch, Punch Crunch and Cinnamon Crunch? I think Vanilly crunch is my all-time favorite cereal. I always seem to like the flavors that don't catch on :(
              Last edited by Wee67; Nov 17, '09, 11:23 AM.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Up here in the Great White North, I only see Count Chocula in the cereal aisles.

I didn't know about Fruit Brute until I saw the box in Pulp Fiction.

For me the classic commercials had The Count and Frankenberry quibling over which cereal was better only to have Boo Berry come in and spook the both of them.

Didn't Boo Berry talk like Peter Lorre?
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 1, 2005

I'd kill for some Vanilly Crunch or Punch Crunch right now.

I love the monster cereals, they're definitely my all-time favorite breakfast cereals and I've bought them every year since I was a kid faithfully. For a long time it was impossible to get BooBerry around here, even during Halloween. But now I can find it during October, though it's still in small quantities. For the past several years I've saved the boxes after I finish them, I'm running out of room for them.

I have a box of Frankenberry in my kitchen right now, and I think it's calling to me. Time for a snack.

Comment

• tay666
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 27, 2008

I'm lucky.
                    I can get all 3 almost year round. Though the 2 are little harder to find some times of the year.
                    Count Chocula though is mainstay in all the grocery stores in my area.

I remember those Captain Crunch flavors also (except he punch crunch)
                    The Cinnamon was kind of nasty.
                    I too loved the vanilla.

Comment

• R.O.M.
                      • Jun 30, 2009

Originally posted by generic

Yummy Mummy came out in 1987 and lasted until 1993
                      Awesome!! Thanks........it was definitely Fruit Brute that was the "forgotten" cereal that I couldn't quite remember.

I think Boo Berry was always my favorite.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

I remember getting into arguments about the existence of Fruit Brute with people who didn't recall it and thought I was full of crap. This was back in the 80's, so I couldn't easily prove it with a web search, and it wasn't immortalized in Tarantino films yet, it was really frustrating.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Wee67
                          I loooooved sweetened cereals in the 70's (and I have the cavities to prove it!).

Does anyone remember the the 70's-introduced Cap'n Crunch flavors- Vanilly Crunch, Punch Crunch and Cinnamon Crunch? I think Vanilly crunch is my all-time favorite cereal. I always seem to like the flavors that don't catch on :(
                          http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/box281.jpg http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/box1262.jpghttp://www.theimaginaryworld.com/box1286.jpg
                          I remember I begged my mom for the Vanilly Crunch, and it sat in the cupboard untouched after one bowl. My punishment, no sugar cereals for 2 weeks!

But I loved Cinnamon Crunch, even more than Cinnamon Toast Crunch!

And I had a soap carver! Used a whole bar of Ivory to carve 2 little animals. Mom wasn't thrilled.
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Raydeen1
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 23, 2008

Hahahahahaha.....foam.

I loved BooBerry and Count Chocula. HAven't had either since I was proably 10.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            I don't recall Yummy Mummy or Fruit Brute. They most have been retired by the time I was old enough to notice. Heck Boo-Berry got axed in the mid-80s I think, then Franken Berry went away for awhile. I think only Chocula has had an uninterrupted presence in the cereal aisle.

I liked FrankenBerry best, although I never liked cereal marshmallows. If I want to eat foam, I'll just rip open the couch.

Chris

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                              Removed.
                              • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by generic

Yummy Mummy came out in 1987 and lasted until 1993.

Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry have never been out of production since they were first released, but Franken Berry and Boo Berry are produced in smaller quantities and don't have as much distribution as the Count.
                              Is that right? Where did you find the information? Man, I didn't think Fruit Brute lasted more than a year or two and I would've guessed closer to 1977 as it's debut. It must've dwindled in sales and became hard to find before they pulled the plug? I didn't realize Yummy Mummy was that late as well. I know I had it but I don't remember when. I guessed early 80's but your figure may be right.
                              I did think they pulled Boo Berry for awhile, though. I guess that must've just been hard to find as well?
                              Rich

Comment

• livnxxxl
                                Megoholic RocketScientist
                                • Oct 23, 2007

I loved the monster cereals when I was a kid. Count Chocula was my favorite! I do not even recall Fruit Brute or Yummy Mummy. Maybe it is because I was eating all of the other monster cereals instead??

Any who...All three seem to be pretty plentiful around the Midwest. I have never had any issues finding any of the three for some time. I just bought four boxes of Count the other day. Some say that the monster cereals are only available around Halloween time. I guess it depends on where you live. ??

I keep my boxes as well. I have some older boxes still unopened. I would still like to get my hands on a box of Freakies again.
                                Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎