X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • generic
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 25, 2009

Count Chocula, Fraken Berry, Boo Berry, Yummy Mummy & Fruit Brute

Since I already miss the Halloween season and I was just reading the threads about prizes in Cracker Jacks, Bread bags and Cereal boxes, I thought I'd take a minute to reflect on 5 great cereals:

Count Chocula, Fraken Berry, Boo Berry, Yummy Mummy & Fruit Brute

Awesome Cereal. Awesome Prizes. I would love to have had the Monster Playmates pictured on the Fruit Brute box!

I just had a bowl of Count Chocula while a few of my Mad Monsters looked on!
    Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

I still eat the Frankenberry
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Most of our cereals are boring, nothing like these
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

One of my co-workers gave me a box of Count Chocula for Halloween! I had a Halloween themed Saturday morning cartoon viewing and ate some. I also have Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry lip balms I got from Walgreens.

I tried Boo Berry and Franken Berry a few years back when I bought some from Target. They taste dfferent than I remember and I really didn't like them. But I love the Count. Hey, remember a few years ago when they put fruit marshmallows in Count Chocula? YUCK! I wonder whose dumb idea that was?
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• 70's-toy-fan
          Museum Patron
          • Nov 9, 2009

cereal

I only eat the count ..i have old star wars stick-ons some where that came in the box..i think thats what they were?The prizes today will never compare to what they were back then!
          Life is a wonderful journey..where you step changes your path through it!

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

I really wish they'd bring back Fruit Brute....I miss the howling taste of fruuuuuuuuuuuuuit.
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
              Time to feed the cat
              • Dec 30, 2007

Way to share your breakfast with your megos,great pic.Never heard of Fruit Brute,love the rest of them,then and now.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

I used to love Boo Berry!

It seems that I liked anything with blueberries or blueberry flavored when I was a kid. I even loved Aunt Jemima's Blueberry waffles.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

I've lost count of how many times they've done something with these guys on Robot Chicken.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                    Removed.
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Never see these anymore except around Halloween. Too bad.
                    In fact the only place I see them then is at Target but I'm sure they must have them at Wal-mart, too.
                    Yes, Sharry. I think they changed something in the formula, too. They do not taste the same as they did back in the 70's and I don't believe it has anyhting to do with adult tastebuds, etc. I still eat things that taste the same as they always have and these are changed.
                    Rich

Oh, and I hate the new graphics on the box.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I don't recall Yummy Mummy or Fruit Brute. They most have been retired by the time I was old enough to notice. Heck Boo-Berry got axed in the mid-80s I think, then Franken Berry went away for awhile. I think only Chocula has had an uninterrupted presence in the cereal aisle.

I liked FrankenBerry best, although I never liked cereal marshmallows. If I want to eat foam, I'll just rip open the couch.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                        Removed.
                        • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        I don't recall Yummy Mummy or Fruit Brute. They most have been retired by the time I was old enough to notice. Heck Boo-Berry got axed in the mid-80s I think, then Franken Berry went away for awhile. I think only Chocula has had an uninterrupted presence in the cereal aisle.

I liked FrankenBerry best, although I never liked cereal marshmallows. If I want to eat foam, I'll just rip open the couch.

Chris
                        I always forget about Yummy Mummy. I think that was their last "hurrah". I remember having it at least once and I do think it was the early 80's. I do remember Fruit Brute though although seems to me it wasn't around very long. MY mom loved Frankenberry so we almost always had that and occasionally Count Chocula. Very rarely Boo Berry but I wasn't crazy about Boo Berry anyway.
                        I think you are right about the Boo Berry going away for awhile but I don't think they ever stopped making Frankenberry; I think the monster cereals just got harder to find and perhaps Count Chocula was the most popular so more stores carried that than Frankenberry.
                        I preferred the tiny marshmallows they originally came with but I know what you mean about styrofoam, LOL. They were great as a kid, though.
                        Rich

Oh, and what's "Fraken Berry"? Is that what Starbuck eats on Battlestar Galactica? LOL hahahaha

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

The Monster Cereals were hard to get for a while....I remember in the early 90s I had to import Frankenberry from my aunt in Pittsburgh. Then I had heard that Booberry had returned to a grocery's shelves about 30 minutes away....had to see for myself. Eventually Wal-Mart began to carry all 3 Monster Cereals around here but in the last year they've phased them out yet again. Count Chocula is still available at Target but Franken and Boo Berry did pop up at Halloween time and quickly sold out.
                          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                            To Fear is Not Logical...
                            • Feb 17, 2008

I agree with Rich that the way the cereals are made must have changed, because it really doesn't taste the same. As a kid I remember one Saturday morning eating an entire box of Boo-Berry in one sitting through my entire Sat morning line-up. Sunday morning wasn't too great, if you catch my meaning.
                            It's all good!

Comment

• justzeg18
                              Career Member
                              • May 5, 2003

what happened? two words, Whole Grain.

after cereals went 100% whole grain the flavors changed, at least to me it seemed to coincide.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎