X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

Johnny Sokko and his flying Robot

One of my Fav shows from my childhood now on Hulu. Cheesy and cheap but oh so good. Some of the episodes were re-edited and made into the Movie Voyage into Space which ran on Monster week on NY's Channel 7 4:30 movie during the 70's.

Distributed in America by American International Pictures

Anyone else liked this?

Hulu - Search

Hulu - Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot: Dracolon, The Great Sea Monster - Watch the full episode now.
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

I managed to DL the DVD boxset and have yet to check out the Hulu version,(LOVE HULU). The editing is weak and the sync job could be done better. I wish they would remaster the source, if they can find it or it might be too late.
    My daughter thinks it's cute, I think it's all tops.
    Have you checked out the Giant Robo anime? Pretty interesting take on Johnny Sokko.

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I've got about half of 'em on tape (remember those?) and love them. It's a HORRIBLE show, but that adds to the fun. Weird bad guys, weird monsters, mayhem galore. And a lifesize Johnny Sokko model kit.

>Have you checked out the Giant Robo anime?

THOSE were neat too! They were a little closer to the original comic (from the 60's) than the tv show, and had a LOT of old school stuff snuck in. There's also a new comic; based on the 90's OAV series:

Giant Robo - The Day the Earth Burned Manga - Read Giant Robo - The Day the Earth Burned manga scans online.

Don C.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

Yeah, I remember just loving it...just the thought of being able to have my own Robot to control was awesome. I started wearing watches as a kid and would pretent to be Johnny Sokko

The bad guys were so cheesy and the special effects are now laughable..but to a kid with a big imagination it was gold.

I've seen the anime and loved it too. Really good stuff.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

you watched that bro?
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• megoapesnut
            The name says it all!
            • Dec 3, 2007

one of my FAVORITE shows when I was a wee lad. I have the entire series on DVD. haven't got a chance to watch many episodes yet.

Comment

• DocDrako
              Formerly Doc Drako
              • Nov 11, 2004

I didn't see alot of this show when I was a kid but I loved what I saw. I also loved Ultraman, Spectreman, and Space Giants. I'd say Ultraman was my favorite, but I enjoyed all of these shows. I believe they were all on KTVU back then. It is an Oakland/San Francisco station that we used to get in Reno, Nevada back in the 70's. They had the best shows.

"Glue! I need glue!" ("Charley & Humphrey" reference, not Johnny Sokko)

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• Man of Action
                Persistent Member
                • Oct 26, 2006

"Power Punch"

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>I'd say Ultraman was my favorite, but I enjoyed all of these shows.

Oh yeah! Ultraman was actually GOOD though. Spectreman....? Not so much. It looks like someone's high school film project. ('Course, I love Spectreman too!) Once upon a time there were ZILLIONS of these shows. I didn't find out 'til I was older though; since we only got Ultraman and Johnny Sokko here.

Johnny Sokko had some beautiful bits of low-budgetry: ther Gargoyle Gang, an army of bad guys played by the same 5 actors over and over. Spyder standing RIGHT NEXT to a detonating nuke, shown radioing his failure to stop Johnny in the next scene. (The hat must be nuke-proof. AND Giant ball proof. But NOT wash and wear....)

Don C.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by ctc
                    >I'd say Ultraman was my favorite, but I enjoyed all of these shows.

Oh yeah! Ultraman was actually GOOD though. Spectreman....? Not so much. It looks like someone's high school film project. ('Course, I love Spectreman too!) Once upon a time there were ZILLIONS of these shows. I didn't find out 'til I was older though; since we only got Ultraman and Johnny Sokko here.

Johnny Sokko had some beautiful bits of low-budgetry: ther Gargoyle Gang, an army of bad guys played by the same 5 actors over and over. Spyder standing RIGHT NEXT to a detonating nuke, shown radioing his failure to stop Johnny in the next scene. (The hat must be nuke-proof. AND Giant ball proof. But NOT wash and wear....)

Don C.
                    I loved Ultraman also the originals from the 60's and Zonefighter which Toho made...

Comment

• SeattleEd
                      SynthoRes Transmigrator
                      • Oct 24, 2007

I'm sure you all got the Ultraman DVD series that came out a couple of years back. All remastered and restored. They even put in the missing footage that was never dubbed in English but it's subbed in English for those segments.
                      My daughter didn't know what to think of Ultraman but I can tell you she is digging the GoRangers big time. Just need to get the Ultra Seven on DVD subbed.

Johnny Sokko with always be tops for me. Have my 8" Medicom doll on display with my Megos. Perfect size.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>Just need to get the Ultra Seven on DVD subbed.

Yes you do! I actually like UltraSeven a little more than Ultraman. Weirder monsters.

Don C.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                          OH JES!!
                          • Jul 21, 2005

Two words Anne Yuri : Yuriko Hishimi

Takara made two great action figures from the Ultraseven I have this version

Comment

• tay666
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 27, 2008

Man, I loved this show when I was a kid.
                            Our local station ran this, and Ultraman back-to-back.
                            I was in giant-rubber-suited-monster heaven.

I tracked down some eps several years ago and realized it wasn't nearly as good as my memories of the show.
                            It's not horrible, but it is cringe-worthy.
                            I agree there are some funny spots, and I would love to see the movie version get the MSTK treatment.

Comment

• Dave Mc
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 20, 2002

One of my childhood fav's. I have a 12" Giant Robot on my desk at work. Bought a bootleg DVD set on ebay a few years back. Really crappy quality but still fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎