Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trekman101
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 6, 2009

Star blazers was the best cartoon series ever .....I used to run home from school to catch the last half of it every day when I was in junior high,some times I would stay home to watch the best ones ............the original movies were the best anime in japan at the time..............there's a new movie coming out in japan in december......."space battle ship yamato" in japan is what "star trek" is in the US........here is the web site for it in the US Star Blazers ,it has the entire history,news updates,dvd's,online store and web comics that continue the story...check it out
    "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• fallensaviour
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by vulcan2074
      Thats a hell of a great cartoon. When I was younger they started showing Star Blazers after they went through all of the Robotech episodes. I was hooked instantly
      Sammy
      For the longest time I was confused as a kid and thought it was robotech.
      When I was a little older though12-13.I watched several episodes always liked it.Kinda makes me want to watch it now.
      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>Star Blazers is a great show !!!

Yes. Yes it is; and it's an IMPORTANT one. (I did an essay on it when I was at the U.) Comparing it to Trek is a good analysis; since both brought high-concept sci-fi to the masses, without dumbing things down. (TOO much....) Starblazers/Yamato set the trend for high drama, epic Japanese cartoons and (along with "Tomorrow's Joe") legitimized animation. (Kinda wish WE had something like that here. The 90's Batman came close.) AND it's entertaining: you watch 'cos you don't know what's going to happen. (I think that's what was missing from Batman: you KNOW Bats 'aint gonna die. Or lose.)

One thing that I always found kinda funny: when Yamato was originally released there was a number of protests. Concerned citizens were worried the show would lead to a rise in militarism amongst Japanese youth.

Don C.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I'm up to episode 18 and there's a few things I don't understand ...

In one of the remembering sequences they constantantly refer to Japan as (I think) The Big Island ... Was this an attempt by the American production team to disguise the settings in Japan ? ... Or, was The Big Island refered to by name in the Japanese production ?

The Doctor is the only character that doesn't look human ... He actually looks more like a cross between groundhog and a potato ... This seems strange considering the animators attempt to do everything and everybody realistic.

Was only the dialog replaced on the American production ? ... Meaning, is all the music and sound effect in the American production taken from the Japanese version ?
          Last edited by Mikey; Nov 7, '09, 8:24 AM.

Comment

• WannabeMego
            Made in the USA
            • May 2, 2003

Music and Sound Effects were taken from the Japanese Version.

My guess on the Doctor is that he's supposed to symbolize 'Comedic Relief'...any of the classic Anime's that had a serious story line always had that one character that was drawn in a non-realistic (Non-American) way and they were always short and round.
            Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• unsung hero
              • Sep 30, 2009

Originally posted by WannabeMego
              Music and Sound Effects were taken from the Japanese Version.

My guess on the Doctor is that he's supposed to symbolize 'Comedic Relief'...any of the classic Anime's that had a serious story line always had that one character that was drawn in a non-realistic (Non-American) way and they were always short and round.
              Yeah and in the Japanese version Dr. Sane had his own private Sake collection. In the US version they called it "Spring Water".

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk
                Iis all the music and sound effect in the American production taken from the Japanese version ?
                Haven't you been checking out my Isao Sasaki youtube videos?

sigpic

Comment

• jds1911a1
                  Alan Scott is the best GL
                  • Aug 8, 2007

Hec give Mike a break here it's a new show for him and he is enjoying not knowing what will happen next.

Dr sane is a representation of Japenese self loathing. It's hard to know that until you watch the films where he is a drunk alwats with Sake. Also Capt harlock (the other great cartoon from the same creator) points this out. harlock's engineer Tochiro has the same "potato" face to harlock's german roots, he is brilliant but short and fat (actually there are different men as engineer in different runs of the show and both are short and fat with potato faces).

The sound effects and music are from the original Japanese show and the dialog while kidied up a bit isn't that far from the original Japanese. The very anti american shot of the sinking of the Yamato in ww2 was excised from Starblazers.

Also once you know military harware you can see many analogs to ww2 US designs of aircraft in the gamillon forces (especially hellcats and corsairs)

The one thing even as a kid I couldn't get - if Desslock (Dessler in japan) wants the Starforce crushed why send piddling attacks against it. I think the creative team behind Macross (robotech in the US) had the same question as they put a reason in ep 2 why the Macross can't be destroyed hence the kid golves approach from a vastly superior force on a lone ship
                  Last edited by jds1911a1; Nov 9, '09, 7:06 AM.

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>if Desslock (Dessler in japan) wants the Starforce crushed why send piddling attacks against it.

Hmmmm.... I'd always thought it was 'cos his forces were dispersed along the route. The bombs were thought to eliminate Earth, and the attack waves would mop up any survivours. Unfortunately, given the distance, once he realized they were a threat it was too late to concentrate his attack.

>Dr sane is a representation of Japenese self loathing.

Hmmmm.... The Japanese have never had the problems with cartoony characters we do. (Hence the "the eyes are weird" critiques you often hear.) So their comedy relief characters had a tendency to go VERY cartoony. (And their serious charactrs would often go all cartoony for effect.) It was a long standing tradition (until the dawning of the 'gekiga' comics of the 60's) to have a cartoony comedy character in each team. For Starblazers/Yamato, I think they used the Doc 'cos they didn't want to make this character a main one.

Don C.

Comment

• wilbs518
                      Mego Collector
                      • Jul 25, 2009

One my all time favorite anime! Great story. I watched everyday waiting to see what happened next.
                      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Loved the show as a kid, never missed it, who says kids can't follow story arcs? That was the reason we watched it in the first place!

Haven't really given it a chance as an adult, tried to get into it once but my wife wasn't having it, she's really into anime too.....
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Loved the show as a kid, never missed it, who says kids can't follow story arcs? That was the reason we watched it in the first place!

Haven't really given it a chance as an adult, tried to get into it once but my wife wasn't having it, she's really into anime too.....
                          Modern Anime fans probably find starblazers slow and plodding, there aren't any "whoosh" lines around charcters to illustrate how fast they move through the air, no "dragged still" punches, fully rendered backrounds in bright colors, and little actual violence and blood. Of course these are all the things I dislike in Anime today.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                            Modern Anime fans probably find starblazers slow and plodding, there aren't any "whoosh" lines around charcters to illustrate how fast they move through the air, no "dragged still" punches, fully rendered backrounds in bright colors, and little actual violence and blood. Of course these are all the things I dislike in Anime today.
                            My wife is pretty old school but her allegiances are to Gatchaman, Albator and Goldorak as she watched them in French as a kid.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• supes
                              For the love of Mego's!
                              • Jan 19, 2004

Have to admit no love for the show. As a kid I was really irritated when it started because they took off Battle of the Planets to show StarBlazers. As a kid I tried watching the first episode and thought it was boring.
                              I'll stick with Battle of the Planets. Just my opinion.

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• jds1911a1
                                • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                                My wife is pretty old school but her allegiances are to Gatchaman, Albator and Goldorak as she watched them in French as a kid.
                                Albator as in Capt Harlock? if so I would think she'd like SB since it's the same stlye from Matsumoto

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎