Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New variation of the AJ Mustang / POTA Action Stallion?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flynne
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 22, 2003

New variation of the AJ Mustang / POTA Action Stallion?

I just received this auction win in the mail yesterday:

PLANET OF THE APES ACTION STALLION 1967 W/ BOX - eBay (item 370279707406 end time Oct-31-09 10:00:28 PDT)

I first noticed that even though it was boxed in a POTA box that the bridle was yellow like the one that came on Shadow, the Western Line's horse. But I figured that it was a case of all the parts (horse, bridle, and box) getting all jumbled over the years, but something else caught my eye as well. The hair covering the hooves is White:

The POTA horses have a brown body with a black mane and tail (like this one), but they have balck hair over the hooves:

Shadow had a brown body, but a yellow mane, tail, and hoof hair:

I checked the page or the AJ Mustang, but I did not see this combination:

It doesn't match Dinah's Golden Pal either:

So my question is: what exactly do I have? I'd say it's likely a variant of the AJ Mustang stuffed in a POTA Stallion box, but that's just a guess. I does have the lighter brown body and yellow bridle that you find on Shadow and the Mustang variant, but it also has the black mane and tail you find on the POTA Stallion, and the white hoof hair found only on the Black Mustang variant and Dinah's Golden Pal.

Has anyone seen a horse like this before, or did I just stumble on another unknown variant?

Thanks,
    Derek
    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"
  • Flynne
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 22, 2003

I forgot to mention this before - the body on this horse is the lighter brown of the Shadow / AJ Mustang variant rather than the dark brown of the POTA Stallion.
    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• Dave Mc
      Administrator
      • Oct 20, 2002

Shadow had white paint on the hooves and white paint on the nose. Dark colored mane. It comes with yellow saddle and bridle. It's not pictured in the Museum (which I'm working to resolve). What you actually see in it's place is a pic of the AJ brown mustang. You can seen mine in the top left corner in this pic...

It's a great piece, and still not a common find. You find some other horses in Apes boxes on occasion. I think they just tossed all the spares in apes boxes.

Comment

• Flynne
        Permanent Member
        • Jan 22, 2003

Cool! That's for filling me in. That makes sense, and I'd thought that was a possibility. It was actually a Shadow that I wanted for my Super Knight's display anyway, so this makes me happy. This one came it at a bargain, even without the saddle.

BTW - that is a sweet pic, Dave. A Gray Mustang and an Ivanhoe horse cover - you so rock!

Comment

• Dave Mc
          Administrator
          • Oct 20, 2002

I just finally added Dinah's Golden Pal, so I'm horse happy now!

I plan on taking all the horses into the office one night and photographing them proper for a stable section. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do, I'll update all the horse pages with the right pics and include some new box shots.

Congrats on the score. Shadow is probably my favorite of the horses (well, besides the gray!).

Comment

• clemso
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 8, 2001

Hi Dave,

Does the gray Mustang/Stallion variation have the AJ brand on its back.

Comment

• scifiguy94
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 18, 2009

Looks like from the pic something is there.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎