X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

"Beefing up" my Batman & Martian Manhunter

I have been doing some experimenting when it comes to "beefing" up several characters who have a little bulk to them.
    Originally I was ripping the arms and torso off Famous covers figures and combing CTVT's legs and lower bodies with them. That became time consuming and only looked good on only a few characters.

My next attempt, I have been sculpting my own biceps and calve muscles and chest pecks. Batman was the first guy in my collection to receive my new body sculpt.

Sealing it with Modge Podge gives it a nice smooth seal to it and makes the body feel like plastic and it is easy to paint.

I got the Batman head, boots and belt from that Batman 1989 Mego-Like doll that came out. The Batman gloves are designed by my friend Wes from Classic Plastick. The suit is a mego Batman suit stretched over the beefy muscles.

Then I did it to my new Martian Manhunter to give you and idea what it looks like without the suit. I got the Martian Manhunter head from Dave McCormick along time ago and I finally figured out where the head belongs after trials and errors on several ****ty green bodies from CTVTs.

Now the head has found a home on my new beefy body additions.

Lifting his arms up to show off his pipes.....

I applied the "beef" torso to my other Captain America. Captain America is on a Doctor Mego body. I am starting to notice a lot of my older Dr. Mego bodies are "loose" and feel a bit wobbly. So I am doing the "beef up" on some of the older Dr. Mego bodies to help a bit with the tightness while inside a tight Mego Captain America suit. That seems to help.

Last edited by Cosmicman; Oct 18, '09, 4:31 PM.
    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...
  • QDOGG
    Persistent Member
    • Jan 13, 2007

Not to bad Cat. I really like the beefed-up Cap. You need a custom head for him, I never did like the Mego one!

Comment

• Ivaniski
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 24, 2007

"Beefing up" my Batman & Martian Manhunter

Nice Beefed up characters!!! I really love that Batman, I have that same head. However, i went with the blue look. Capn' America looks good too, Nice Work!!!

Comment

• yokaijohn
        Keep it coolin', baby
        • Oct 1, 2008

Nice Beef work,they all look great!!What do you sculpt muscle from?
        Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• Cosmicman
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by yokaijohn
          Nice Beef work,they all look great!!What do you sculpt muscle from?

Well, this is sort of a trick I learned from a lady named Trudy who works at the local Hobby Lobby. She introduced me to a new glue glaze chemical called Mod Podge.

First, I use simple sculpey. I basically craft and mold each muscle over his arms and legs (look at the pic of my Martian) leaving the almost and knees bare. I take a long nose lighter and heat up the sculpey piece by piece as and it hardens around the arms in legs.

To finish, I coat the sculpey in a special glaze glue call mod podge. It turns the baked sculpey in a rock. A Nuclear war can't break my sculpts after this stuff. When it dries, it seals and strengthens the sculpts even more after they are hardered.

The only time I have ever painted a body after I gave it a beef up with my Martian Manhunter (see pic). I painted it first, then applied the Mod Podge stuff after the paint is dried on the baked sculpey.

Thanks for asking. The trick has been something I stumbled onto and it has worked out pretty good for me.
          Last edited by Cosmicman; Oct 24, '09, 1:14 PM.

Comment

• yokaijohn
            Keep it coolin', baby
            • Oct 1, 2008

Actually I've used sculpey for sculpting over bodies before and I also use Clay-stone(an air dry modeling clay with little to no shrinkage).And I have used Mod podge before but never on my sculpts.You really gave me a great idea,thanks!I tried it last night on a few sculpts and its great,I think I shall do this from now on!

Comment

• Cosmicman
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 12, 2005

Actually I've used sculpey for sculpting over bodies before and I also use Clay-stone(an air dry modeling clay with little to no shrinkage).And I have used Mod podge before but never on my sculpts.You really gave me a great idea,thanks!I tried it last night on a few sculpts and its great,I think I shall do this from now on!
              Yeah, wait until you get a couple of good layers on there and it dries. You basically turned your sculpture into a nearly unbreakable rock.
              Add some paint to it then when the paint dries put another layer on it.

Amazing what those two chemicals can do when they work together.
              Last edited by Cosmicman; Oct 25, '09, 6:11 PM.

Comment

• yokaijohn
                Keep it coolin', baby
                • Oct 1, 2008

Thanks again!!!

Comment

• Cosmicman
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 12, 2005

Thanks again!!!
                  Send me some shots of your sculpts offline. Curious to see your work. I am still in the process of learning the tricks of trade of sculpting myself.

Comment

• yokaijohn
                    Keep it coolin', baby
                    • Oct 1, 2008

Originally posted by Wrathdemon
                    Send me some shots of your sculpts offline. Curious to see your work. I am still in the process of learning the tricks of trade of sculpting myself.
                    PM me your mailing addy ,so i can send you some pics.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎