X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

Taxidermy and insect collecting question

Does anybody know what the customs laws are concerning skeletons, mounts and/or insects in the mail? I like to buy some things of ebay but I'm afraid of them being confiscated. I'm hoping that as long as it's not an endangered species it's ok. Anybody?
  • toysforlife
    Banned
    • Aug 17, 2009

Originally posted by stretchandro
    Does anybody know what the customs laws are concerning skeletons, mounts and/or insects in the mail? I like to buy some things of ebay but I'm afraid of them being confiscated. I'm hoping that as long as it's not an endangered species it's ok. Anybody?
    From my experience the only things illegal is birds of prey and of course anything endangered. If they sell them on ebay I would think it would be ok, due to ebay pulling so many things. I started to bug some " ready-made" insect collections on there once but they where coming from some foreign country and decided against it.

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

I have a stuffed allegator that's about 3 feet long. My Grandmother gave me and my brother one when we were kids. I have no idea why. I think she got them on a vacation to Mexico maybe. Anyway, it's been in my attic for the last 15+ years or so. I can't seem to bring myself to toss it. It really is kinda cool.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by ScottA
        I have a stuffed allegator that's about 3 feet long. My Grandmother gave me and my brother one when we were kids. I have no idea why. I think she got them on a vacation to Mexico maybe. Anyway, it's been in my attic for the last 15+ years or so. I can't seem to bring myself to toss it. It really is kinda cool.
        I had one my family bought back in the 60's on a trip to Florida.
        It was a peice of garbage and even had a broken tail -- but I sold it on ebay for 50 bucks

Sometimes stuffed gators go for some money on ebay

You just have to make sure it doesn't fall in the too new catagory when the laws were changed and made strict (not sure how new is too new)

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
          Stuck in a laundry shoot.
          • Oct 8, 2007

Welcome to CITES

This should provide you the info necessary regarding animals and plants that are prohibited or trade is regulated by law.
          "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

I collect dead things.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡