X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael crawford
    Museum Super Collector
    • Dec 15, 2008

Go Hero Buck Rogers review

I meant to mention this guy a week or so ago when I reviewed him, because I thought he'd be right up the alley of some of the folks here...but then my old brain forgot.

Buck Rogers sixth scale action figure - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy

• thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Man, you broke the helmet?? That sucks.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Orion
      Museum Night Watchman
      • Mar 11, 2008

Great review as always. Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

• toysforlife
        Banned
        • Aug 17, 2009

That is an incredible figure. Price is too steep for me , but nice figure

Comment

• michael crawford
          Museum Super Collector
          • Dec 15, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          Man, you broke the helmet?? That sucks.

That's my general feeling as well.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Great review and a cool figure, too bad its out my price range.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

It's a fantastic figure, love to have it, but the way things are going now, they'll soon be releasing collector figures in the $300-400 range.
              I just cannot afford to play this game.
              I love Hot Toys, but it's out of my league, too.

And to be honest, I cannot believe it takes so much money to make the figure.
              They're just squeezing collectors for every last drop....
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• michael crawford
                Museum Super Collector
                • Dec 15, 2008

Actually, while that's possible, it's unlikely. These figures have been either a) dropping in price (you can get Connor, an exceptional figure, for $125 - he's so far beyond what Medicom was selling for a year or two ago at $175 it's not even comparable) or b) are adding in tons of extras that we previously weren't getting at the same price. The Medicom Darth Vader was close to $175, and you weren't getting metal, leather and glass parts...or a body with 1gig of ram that you can hook up to your computer with a USB cord.

I think most companies are finding that around $150 is the sweet spot for high end sixth scale, but that what defines 'high end' continues to improve. Even Enterbay, who started with very low run figures around $300, figured out pretty quick that they had to get their releases down in that range. Hot Toys is working to get them lower (Connor, Predator's Billy and the T-700 are all examples), while Sideshow is trying to get their quality up to prove they are worth a similar amount.

Comment

• CaptainTrenchcoat
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 6, 2006

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                  It's a fantastic figure, love to have it, but the way things are going now, they'll soon be releasing collector figures in the $300-400 range.
                  I just cannot afford to play this game.
                  I love Hot Toys, but it's out of my league, too.

Since these are limited edition figures and not mass produced like the DC Universe waves, they tend to be more money. It costs them more per figure to produce this way.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I read that review when you posted it. It's a gorgeous figure. I'd love to see early versions of the DC and Marvel characters from these guys!!!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 12, 2004

This might be the coolest figure I've ever seen. I had one in my Urban Collector cart for $130.00 a couple of weeks ago, but I hesitated pulling the trigger for a few days. My mistake. It sold out.

I sure hope you can get a replacement helmet for the broken one. That picture made me cringe.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by CaptainTrenchcoat
                        Since these are limited edition figures and not mass produced like the DC Universe waves, they tend to be more money. It costs them more per figure to produce this way.
                        I don't think that's always right, that limited edition figures cost more to produce.
                        I often buy from Asian dealers who can offer first rate items for much lower prices. Legitimate items, not bootlegs. And you can rest assured that they still make a profit.
                        Hey, you say, maybe they're made in sweat shops. That's possible, but the same can be said for Hot Toys, etc.

But hey, I can't afford a Porsche either, so it's cool.
                        I love what Hot Toys is doing.
                        I just won't buy them, because I prefer do to other things with my money, like eating, heating my home and such.
                        Yeah, I know, my priorities are all wrong....
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• michael crawford
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Dec 15, 2008

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                          This might be the coolest figure I've ever seen. I had one in my Urban Collector cart for $130.00 a couple of weeks ago, but I hesitated pulling the trigger for a few days. My mistake. It sold out.

I sure hope you can get a replacement helmet for the broken one. That picture made me cringe.
                          They're working on it. Hey, if they do get me one, it'll be really great, particularly since it was completely my own damn fault.

Comment

• goldenryan
                            coy member
                            • Jul 13, 2007

But hey, I can't afford a Porsche either, so it's cool.
                            I love what Hot Toys is doing.
                            I just won't buy them, because I prefer do to other things with my money, like eating, heating my home and such.
                            Yeah, I know, my priorities are all wrong....
                            i agree, as long as they don't start making silver-age marvel characters i should be alright.

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 10, 2007

At only 1000 pieces is the reason, if they made 10,000 or 100,000 pieces then the prices would be lower. It always cost more to make less.
                              Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎