Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nvmbrsdoom5
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 1, 2005

I had the commander with the vest, I loved that toy as a kid. Mine stayed together pretty well, surprisingly. I guess I got lucky. I've wanted to collect these but have a hard time finding them and an even harder time finding them in good condition. The only piece I still have now in my collection is Terron, the "walking dinosaur" thingy.

I remember thinking as a kid that the power vest would've been awesome on an Iron Man figure

Comment

• AAAAA
      Permanent Member
      • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by spockfan74
      For some reason i'm drawing a blank on these superjoes, can someone please fill me in on this line like what years they were made
      They came out in 1977, where hasbro shut down the AT joe 12 inch line ,in 1976. The revamp joe into super joe about 8 and 1/2 inches tall, sporting the same look , with 0ne ,two punch action feature and "fight by night with light" the adventures were aim towards super heroics & SiFi.
      Everybody believes that this was a repose to the Oil embargo,It more in line with keeping pace with mego,& superheros was the main thing
      by the mid 70's,mego was the number 1 producers of action figures up to that time.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

A classic line from one insider book I read was that they asked a child who was bigger, Big Jim or G.I. Joe? The kid would always say Big Jim, so they shrunk the body down.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• AAAAA
          Permanent Member
          • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
          A classic line from one insider book I read was that they asked a child who was bigger, Big Jim or G.I. Joe? The kid would always say Big Jim, so they shrunk the body down.
          I thought it was the orginal Joe body and big jim body, and the child said Jim was bigger, so they redesign Joe with the Muscle Body.

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
            Career Member
            • Jun 10, 2007

I love this line!! I had the Commander and the Red suit guy.

Cotswold collectables make restinging kits for the muscle body Gi-joes, these bodies are simlar, I don't know if the kits would work in these or not.

Lynn

Comment

• AAAAA
              Permanent Member
              • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
              I love this line!! I had the Commander and the Red suit guy.

Cotswold collectables make restinging kits for the muscle body Gi-joes, these bodies are simlar, I don't know if the kits would work in these or not.

Lynn
              No they won't, I repaired both bodies types ,i was the subject of NBC show ,18 years ago on repairng G.I.joes.the repair parts are to big.
              where the 12 in body parts are pressed fit. the Super Joes are Glued, You have take a razor saw and carfully cut each main limb, (thigh and biceps). and than insert the springs. Hands are the easy to insert and repaire,

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by AAAAA
                I thought it was the orginal Joe body and big jim body, and the child said Jim was bigger, so they redesign Joe with the Muscle Body.
                I read it the other way, I can't say for certain I'm right.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Oh the GI Joe medic will restring Superjoes for $20 or so, he just can't replace hands.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 10, 2006

Originally posted by AAAAA
                    They came out in 1977, where hasbro shut down the AT joe 12 inch line ,in 1976. The revamp joe into super joe about 8 and 1/2 inches tall, sporting the same look , with 0ne ,two punch action feature and "fight by night with light" the adventures were aim towards super heroics & SiFi.
                    Everybody believes that this was a repose to the Oil embargo,It more in line with keeping pace with mego,& superheros was the main thing
                    by the mid 70's,mego was the number 1 producers of action figures up to that time.
                    Thanks for the answer, 1977 explains why i draw a blank on this line as they came out around the time i lost intrest in toys

Comment

• tmthor
                      God of Knock-offs
                      • Nov 29, 2005

Vintage 70's commercial for the GI Joe Super Joe Darkon toy line. Check out plaidstallions.com for more 70's stuff.Visit our daily blog of toys and retro fas...

Darkon Comercial
                      It has amzed me that I missed this back them (Or Cant remeber I was only 4 in 1977) but I was amazed when I saw this that they used the same music in their 80's commercials

Comment

• batmanmc
                        mego batman collector
                        • Jun 22, 2004

we had a lot of the super joes ric remember elvis worked at hasbro and brought them home. f course they never lasted too long.

Comment

• jemboy2004
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 14, 2005

Mike I do remember that! I actually would take the charlie's angels dolls and outfits from his piles and hide them so he didn't know I took them as he would have laughed at me for wanting them.

Comment

• batmanmc
                            mego batman collector
                            • Jun 22, 2004

thats where all the charlie's angels stuff came from. i was too busy getting the super joes.

Comment

• tmthor
                              God of Knock-offs
                              • Nov 29, 2005

2 Observations

1 I always thought that Gor looked a little like Krusher

2 Does any one know if Takara had any thing to do with Luminos & Sheild due to the resemblance to Hensin Cyborg
                              Last edited by tmthor; Aug 13, '07, 8:58 AM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                                Duke of Gloat
                                • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by tmthor

2 Does any one know if Takara had any thing to do with Luminos & Sheild due to the resemblance to Hensin Cyborg
                                As far as I know, not directly. Just the indirect connection that Takara based their Henshin Cyborg bodies on the original 12" G.I. Joe (which they licenced from Hasbro). It's certainly possible that Hasbro was influenced by the clear bodies Takara used for their Henshin Cyborg and Microman lines, but I don't believe that Takara had any actual input at all on the Super Joes (they certainly didn't release any figures on crappy bodies like that in Japan).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎