X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MEGOMAN
    Defender of the Megoverse
    • Dec 30, 2008

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
    We hear ya. Capes are a big topic of conversation here, so it won't be ignored.

Of course, that puts poor Paul out of the repro cape business...planned obsolescence, don'tcha know
    No way!!! The classic Mego's will always turn up missing something. Dr. Mego will always be needed for his parts.

Comment

• 60'schild
      Silver Haired Silver Ager
      • Mar 27, 2009

Add me to the list who want more durable capes...

Also, did I miss the answer to the bands vs. no-bands question (or is that the 800 lb gorilla in the middle of the room which we can not mention and Mattel will not answer ... for now?)
      Last edited by 60'schild; Jul 28, '09, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• drmego
        EMCE Toys
        • Jun 15, 2001

Don't want to start a conspiracy theory about rubber bands!

The sample bodies we received had two rubber bands connecting
        but not exactly how MEGO did it. Trust me, it works well and the
        bodies display well.

As you can see from the Comicon display - no doll stands were
        used.
        www.drmego.com
        www.megoman.com
        www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• Cosmicman
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 12, 2005

I kind of figured that if they were going to do this they were going to take ideas from the Famous Covers and DC 9" figures as far as not using rubber bands and creating the bearings and snap joints. In away, the rubber bands are obsolete, getting them to work in an 8" fashion and making it look good is the trick and it appears that the brilliant minds did it.
          More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• 60'schild
            • Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the super prompt answer to the rubber band question...

Of course NOW, we'll all start to speculate that it was the SAMPLE bodies that had rubber bands... but as for the production.... (Yeah, you just can't win, can you!! )

Yes, no doll stands AND no sticky putty under the boots either!! (like Mattel always has to use on their JLU figures!)

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by 60'schild
              Thanks for the super prompt answer to the rubber band question...

Of course NOW, we'll all start to speculate that it was the SAMPLE bodies that had rubber bands... but as for the production.... (Yeah, you just can't win, can you!! )

Yes, no doll stands AND no sticky putty under the boots either!! (like Mattel always has to use on their JLU figures!)
              Actually, they did use sticky putty. Check Ben's pics in his blog
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• imp
                Mego Book Author
                • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
                It's true: So-called "Earthquake Putty" is an annual pre-requisite for San Diego Comic-Con prototype toy displays... yet it doesn't always work. Paul Clarke (AKA Dr. Mego) told me that, by Saturday, a couple of Mattel's 8" WGSH figures had already eaten the floor.

The point is: this REALLY isn't an indictment of the figures' pose-ability... you just have to understand and appreciate the frickin' elephant stampede that *is* Comic-Con.

NOTHING and NO ONE can stand UPRIGHT for five days in San Diego (in a row). Especially not a hand-made Prototype!

-b

Comment

• Tothiro
                  Kitten Mittens
                  • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by imp
                  NOTHING and NO ONE can stand UPRIGHT for five days in San Diego (in a row). Especially not a hand-made Prototype!
                  This is so true. In 2007 I only got 3 1/2 days upright... But Stan Lee tried his best to knock me over in front of guest services.

Comment

• bobws
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 13, 2008

First... THANKS to PAUL, JOE , MARTY And ALL Involved in Bringing These back into reality and not just our dreams.

Second ... Great Choices for first wave releases. GL / GA 2 of my all time favorite Hero's. I love the balance in a old Mego Hero rereleased(Supes) and a new hero released (GL) and then a villian for each.( Luthor and Sinestro) This is just what i was telling my nephew what should be done.

Third... Questions everyone wants answered but can't yet are gonna drive us nuts, but just wait and the powers that be ( Paul, Joe, Mattel) will give us our answers when they are ready.

fourth... Why not ___________ (batman ) chosen? if you want to see these succeed we can't have all the popular ones out first. they need to be timed just right. supes and GL good choices for wave 1. wave 2 would be great for Batman/ Joker and Flash/Capt. Cold(or whoever) old character and new with villian each and keep that pattern going. we do need to get the women out here soon, hopefully by the third wave. WW/ Cheetah and J'onn Jonzz/Despero

Fifth... we need to just support these figures if we want more of our personal favorites. My nephew said he won't buy any until they make Flash. i told him they won't get to Flash if you don't buy these. he told me to buy a set for him and wait to get paid back when flash comnes out. it's a good thing i love that kid!

Sixth... the Mego name. YES i want to see it too, but we just have to wait and see what develops, or what Paul and marty have up thier sleeves.

Seventh.... Marvel figures, yes we all want them, but that is a different license and the days of 1 company getting both are long gone! but might they do something similiar, wait and see is all we can do.

Last. I just can't wait to get my hands on my New Green Arrow and i'm still looking for a type 1, so no i still want the originals as well. just like most of you.

HAPPY DAYS AHEAD FOR US COLLECTORS
                    "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• captact
                      King of Super Queens!
                      • Aug 19, 2007

Its true,..we Mego collectors must support this line,..vinyl, cloth capes, rubber or no rubber bands,...we need to support this line so that more may come,..even those Mego never made,,,,...LETS GO,..with ME GO!!!!!

Comment

• 60'schild
                        • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by Meule
                        Oh no... you're right!! LOL! And they were painted too!!

Comment

• drmego
                          EMCE Toys
                          • Jun 15, 2001

I got home from China on July 9th - the sample bodies arrived from Mattel
                          on July 11th - I had to have them out to San Diego by the 14th to be
                          on display by the 23rd.

Most of the work was already done, but the devil is in the last minute
                          details.

This figures were assembled in full jet lag mode will my wife and I
                          were dealing with a jealous 7 year old and a throughly confused 2 year old.

I'm just glad Luthor didn't end up with GL's boots on!
                          www.drmego.com
                          www.megoman.com
                          www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• mego73
                            Printed paperboard Tiger
                            • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by drmego
                            on display by the 23rd.

details.

One wonders if some of the original Mego prototypes were made under the same circumstances

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by drmego
                              on display by the 23rd.

details.

Tell the 2 year old I'm glad to hear they are n the US with you.

Comment

• megoscott
                                Founding Partner
                                • Nov 17, 2006

I am adding this to the Museum front page, anticipating that we will get more newbie visitors in search of info about these. I grabbed the graphic from the 1973 Catalog announcement...The Green Arrow is coming in the fall, right? If not, I have a version that says Spring.

This profile is no longer active.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎