Clear All
  • 60'schild
    Silver Haired Silver Ager
    • Mar 27, 2009

Is Fox recasting Futurama??

It certainly sounds like it...

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/07/17...ting-futurama/

From Newsarma:

Forces of Geek has reported that while Fox may be resurrecting Futurama in 2010, the fate of the voice talent behind the show may still be in question:

According to no less than cast members John DiMaggio, Phil LaMarr, and Maurice LaMarche on their Facebook pages, a casting notice has gone out to replace actors DiMaggio, LaMarche, Billy West and Katy Sagal.

Now, while I wouldn’t go so far as to call this “callous,” like Forces of Geek does, this could have some major reprecussions on the show, considering Fry, Leela, and Bender are all potentially on the chopping block.

• 60'schild
    • Mar 27, 2009

Now aintcoolnews is confirming it...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41722

Bad news, everyone:

Comedy Central’s new episodes of “Futurama” are apparently going forward without the participation of core cast members Billy West, Katey Sagal and John DiMaggio.

From Fox:

"We love the Futurama voice performers and absolutely wanted to use them, but unfortunately, we could not meet their salary demands. While replacing these talented actors will be difficult, the show must go on. We are confident that we will find terrific new performers to give voice to Matt and David's brilliantly subversive characters."

One assumes they found out how Harry Shearer became a multimillionaire playing Mr. Burns and Smithers on “The Simpsons.”

Salary disputes were rumored to be the cause also of West’s exit from radio’s “The Howard Stern Show” a decade or so ago.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

If it's anything like the past few "movies" it's going to suck and get cancelled quick anyway.

If DiMaggio, West and Segal were smart, they'd stay far away from it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that takes away any excitement I had about seeing the show revived.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Seeker
          Neptunians RULE!
          • Feb 20, 2008

Fox can bite my shiny metal a**.
          Lo there do I see my Father.
          Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
          Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
          Lo they do call me.
          They bid me take my place among them.
          In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
            To Fear is Not Logical...
            • Feb 17, 2008

Blah!!! The voice actors are important and produce what we like about the characters once they are animated. I would have negotiated some more rather than just alienate (pun intended) fans. Now if they do a different take on the property ala Star Trek, maybe I'd give it a chance, but to me it is too much like the Dick Seargant for Dick York thing.
            It's all good!

Comment

• 60'schild
              • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by Seeker
              Fox can bite my shiny metal a**.

Comment

• vulcan2074
                Live Long and Prosper
                • Mar 23, 2008

It's not gonna be the same but I'm still gonna watch it though LOL
                Sammy

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

This is exactly the kind of cheap, budget cutting CRAP I would expect from Fox! They've already RUINED X-Men, Fantastic Four & Wolverine!

Tom Rothman can kiss my white Irish ARSE!
                  sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

Not smart on Fox's part. Look at all of the voices West and LaMarche do on the show. That's about half right there.

Comment

• 60'schild
                      • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                      Not smart on Fox's part. Look at all of the voices West and LaMarche do on the show. That's about half right there.
                      The line for unknown struggling voice actors (willing to take a lower salary) forms to the right ...

Think they will go with close "sound-a-likes" or really flip people out and do-over any of them differently??

(It could even be a plot point... Gee, we all sound funny thanks to that gizmatron we discovered!! )

Comment

• GreenLantern9999
                        GL of Mego Sector
                        • Oct 8, 2007

fox can suck it I will not keep watching the sho if these guys aren't on there
                        No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• fallensaviour
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 28, 2006

I'll watch it I'm tired of all these friggin prima donnas holding me for ransom I really could care less what they sound like!!!
                          the animation and the stories is what I'm in for.
                          I say get cheap carbon copies and pawn them off.Theres dudes out there that all they want to do is get a chance and probably have perfected the voices.
                          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• GreenLantern9999
                            GL of Mego Sector
                            • Oct 8, 2007

^^ True enough, but I in fact have been trying to break into voice acting for a few years now but I will tell you I am pretty sure that those actors didn't all just say hey fox we need crap tons of money so give it up. And I will tell you it will be a big difference with out all your favorite voices. The voice actors also play with lines and help make a character there own and thusly who they are. So no it is not just clever writing there is a craft and knowing fox they just low balled the heck out of them. And then turned around and made it out to be there fault.
                            No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• johnnystorm
                              Hot Child in the City
                              • Jul 3, 2008

There's a nice bit about the voice casting for Futurama here on Mark Evanier's blog News From Me. Mark blogs quite a bit about voice actors, having worked on numerous animated shows, and he is a champion of the actors. His blog is always entertaining, I recommend it daily.

The piece is about halfway down the page for 7/17/09.

news from me - ARCHIVES - July 17, 2009
                              Last edited by johnnystorm; Jul 18, '09, 9:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎