Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Web handed Aquaman in the 1978 catalogs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flynne
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 22, 2003

Web handed Aquaman in the 1978 catalogs?

I'm sure other people have come across this before, but I was stunned to find this last night. I've heard (and perhaps incorrectly) that there was no proof of the legitmacy of the Web handed variant for Aquaman. But in reviewing my copy of the 1972-82 catalogs (like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:us (not my auction)) There I found the Web handed Aquaman standing right next to the Great White Shark, and thought of how right Berto was when he said he thought that's where the figure was from. Further, when I went back a page or so, I saw the same web-handed Aquaman listed in the WGSH assortment for 1978. Besides the web hands the figure also sports an unstitched vinyl belt and standard "A" sticker. I've had this catalog for years and the gloveless web-handed Mr. Curry has been hiding there in plain sight all this time.

However, I realize that these sorts of things sometimes aren't the genuine article, so I thought I might bring it up here. Are the catalogs listed in here genuine, or did someone just mock this up to look like a vintage Mego catalog?

Thanks,
    Derek
    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

This catalog is a mock up that I believe John Bonavita created, although Webby was featured in the 1978 dealer catalog here...

Comment

• Flynne
      Permanent Member
      • Jan 22, 2003

Originally posted by Hulk
      This catalog is a mock up that I believe John Bonavita created, although Webby was featured in the 1978 dealer catalog here...

http://www.megomuseum.com/catalog/1978/wgsh_003.shtml
      Yup, that's the one! He's got the more flat and open webbed hands when you look at it close up. Also when you look at the 78 assortment page you can see the same figure displayed along with the rest of the figures so it's easy to see the difference in the shape of the hands. Here's a Museum link to the catalog pages:

I assuming that since these pages are in the Museum library that they are in fact the genuine article. Is that correct? I feel like such a dork for overlooking these all of this time. What is else in these catalogs that I have missed?
      Last edited by Flynne; Aug 1, '07, 4:52 PM.
      An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

I mentioned the Great White Shark Aquaman's odd hands in my 8" figure database that I posted to the old mailing list ages ago. I may have even pointed the catalogue pictures out to Roberto after he found the figure.

Comment

• Flynne
          Permanent Member
          • Jan 22, 2003

Originally posted by ABMAC
          I mentioned the Great White Shark Aquaman's odd hands in my 8" figure database that I posted to the old mailing list ages ago. I may have even pointed the catalogue pictures out to Roberto after he found the figure.
          I thought as much. Once I saw these pictures I figured that I was the only clueless Joe in town. Usually I consider myself a pretty observant guy, but sadly I missed these entirely. I only stumbled over them in the Bonavita catalog because I was looking for something else.

Comment

• captact
            King of Super Queens!
            • Aug 19, 2007

Web-Hand Aquaman FOUND!!!!

Hi Flynne!!

If pics you need up close,.front, back etc. of this rare Mego Aquaman figure and his web hands,..just let me know,...I gott'em!!!!! These were only sold with the Great White Shark,..originally,..these web hands were for the Patrick Duffy action figure,..but once the Tv show received low ratings,.....the line was cancelled .....so into the fire went the heads of THE MAN FROM ATLANTIS!....so let me know on the pics!......

Ray Flores

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by captact
              Hi Flynne!!

If pics you need up close,.front, back etc. of this rare Mego Aquaman figure and his web hands,..just let me know,...I gott'em!!!!! These were only sold with the Great White Shark,..originally,..these web hands were for the Patrick Duffy action figure,..but once the Tv show received low ratings,.....the line was cancelled .....so into the fire went the heads of THE MAN FROM ATLANTIS!....so let me know on the pics!......

Ray Flores
              You have a webhanded Aquaman? That would be the second known in existence, no? I'd love to see some pictures
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• kresge1
                Museum_Bozo
                • Jun 20, 2001

Originally posted by Meule
                You have a webhanded Aquaman? That would be the second known in existence, no? I'd love to see some pictures

Yes,lets see some pictures.That is one of the coolest variations out there
                Vinny
                Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• Hulk
                  Mayor of Megoville
                  • May 10, 2003

Please post them here for all of us to see. It is something we all have been waiting to see (another one) for a long time. Having two out there gives us all hope.

Welcome Ray.

I like your theory about Man from Atlantis. Since it was definitely a property Mego was looking at, it makes sense that they would or could re-use the hands for the 1978 figures.

Where did you get your information on the Prototype Duffy heads, and is there anything besides the 1978 to back up your theory that the Web Handed Aquaman only came with the Great White Shark?

Comment

• txteach
                    Banned
                    • Jun 17, 2005

Pictures would be amazing. I, like Hulk would also like to know where you got your information. I haven't heard the Man from Atlantis theory before.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I think I remember hearing that theory from somewhere. It may just have been speculation since Man from Atlantis was known to have webbed fingers, and Aquaman never did. Having learned Mego go after the MFA rights, it does indeed make a good deal of sense. Heck, maybe the whole set was originally designed with MFA in mind, since I doubt they could have built a whole figure line around the character. A gift set would have done the trick to give it some real shelf pressence.

Please tell us more!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, I've heard the Man from Atlantis theory in the past too. I'd love to see more pics or info.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

According to Marty (Abrams) and the late Neal Kublan the Webbed Hands may have been a running change for Aquaman (Sort of like the Silk Screens). At Mego Con the question was asked about Man From Atlantis and both Neal and Marty basically said it wasn't true because Mego didn't have the rights to do Man From Atlantis. It's on the Mego Con DVD...I think. I'd love to see a pic. Could it be that my Webby has a brother???

Comment

• Hulk
                            Mayor of Megoville
                            • May 10, 2003

At the dinner, when (I believe) Neal looked at the figure, and confirmed it was definitely factory made, he mentioned that the minimum run on something like that would have been 1000 pieces, even for an advanced machine tooled prototype, but he didn't specifically remember it, at least in the context of Aquaman.

Vinny Baiera, Mego Product Design manager, showed notes in his interview that indicating Mego was at least interested in Man from Atlantis as a property. At that stage of the game, perhaps Mego was taking their prototyping to a new level.

I enjoyed Marty's reminiscing, but I didn't get the impression that he was the person to relate much in the way of product design or even prototype memories. He seemed more of "We did that line and it sold millions..." or "That line was a real bomb for us..." kinda guy.

Either way, I'd still love to know more about it and be able to hope against hope that 998 or more of them are still out there waiting to be found (by me).

Comment

• batmanmc
                              mego batman collector
                              • Jun 22, 2004

would be cool if i can find one hidden. then we can be brothers.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎