X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60'schild
    Silver Haired Silver Ager
    • Mar 27, 2009

William daFoe cast as J.Carter's Tars Tarkas

John Carter of Mars now his his classic Martian warrior (for the movie version)

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/07/16...arter-of-mars/

I think it's safe to say that everyone here at the MTV Movies Blog is pretty darn excited about Disney's adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' "John Carter of Mars." The book is a sci-fi classic and the adaptation has Pixar's Andrew Stanton at the helm. It's an epic romance, and it's starring up-and-comers Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins. Now you have another reason to be excited about Stanton's adaptation, as the legendary Willem Dafoe has been cast.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Dafoe is set to play Tars Tarkas. Tarkas is a great Martian warrior and leader, a member of a fairly brutal Martian society called the Tharks-- think Spartans, only with even less of a sense of humor.

Tarkas and the titular John Carter are at odds initially, but over the course of their adventure they come to admire and respect one another. Eventually Tarkas reveals his tragic background (one I won't spoil for you -- just read the book), and proves that he's a kind rarity among his brutal people. Thanks to Carter, the Martian eventually becomes ruler of the Tharks. Dafoe will be able to do wonders with the role, as it's just the sort of grim, sympathetic figure he really specializes in.

The film will begin shooting in early 2010, with Utah standing in for Mars. "John Carter of Mars" is set to arrive in theaters in 2012.

• The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Never read "John Carter, but Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of my favorite Writers! Looking forward to the Movie!
    sigpic

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

Since Tars is big,green ,and had four arms, Im betting the character will be CGI, with DaFoe supplying the voice?

I wonder who is playing Dejah Thoris..and if she'll be dressed like the classic Frazetta artwork (which is true to Burroughs descriptions) always depicts her?
      Last edited by Captain; Jul 16, '09, 5:19 PM.
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• 60'schild
        Silver Haired Silver Ager
        • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat
        Never read "John Carter, but Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of my favorite Writers! Looking forward to the Movie!
        Then you'll love the Mars series... definitely read the books!

Comment

• kept back
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 2, 2002

According to IMDB, Lynn Collins is playing Dejah Thoris

Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Sold!!
            sigpic

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

She definitely has the right look, especially the face. In that pic shes even dressed for the part!

For me, Edgar Rice Burroughs was the greatest sci-fi/ fantasy/ western writer ever, and I loved the Carter, Carson, and Pellucidar series of books. Really looking forward to this film (especially if this is Dejah!!).
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎