X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60'schild
    Silver Haired Silver Ager
    • Mar 27, 2009

Does any modern line qualify.....

Does any modern toy line qualify to be considered a successor to the quirky charm that we all associate with Mego?

Consider for a moment what I am NOT asking: Ignore things like great articulation and sculpt (like Mattel's 6" DC Universe Classics by the 4 Horsemen.... they're realistically beautiful but do they have "charm"!)

That's NOT what I am asking...

What line (if any) has the kind of "special" appeal... playability ... goofy charm that Mego had .... ???

If not a complete contender, are there any that even remotely match the "spirit" of Megos (and they don't have to be 8" or have cloth clothing either).

My votes for "charm" :

3. DC Superfriends / Spiderman & Friends : the chunky "Rescue heroes styled toys" with the silly grins and big feet

2.. DC Imaginext Superfriends line : The really little guys ... the vehicles and the giant Batcave playset definitely evoke a "mego-ish" feeling of charm....

And finally ...

1. DC Brave and the Bold Line: Even with the weird holes in the back, the retro styling on these guys just screams charm to me ... (to say nothing of the animated cartoon itself)

(I only excluded JLU since the &^^%$ figures often won't stand up!

What do you guys think?

(And we all know that Mego's are the best ... etc... so we can skip all of THOSE posts, ok?? )

What modern line(s) have that quirky Mego "charm" to you??

and Why?
  • grayhank
    That Fisher Price Guy
    • Feb 9, 2007

Two immediately come to mind:

Palisades Muppets - Great characters, lots of accessories and some great playsets.

Playmates Simpsons - same description as above but with interactive voice chips.
    Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

Round 2/ playing mantis' Rudolph and Charlie Brown Christmas special themed figures.

Maybe the Justice League figures?
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• goldenryan
        coy member
        • Jul 13, 2007

mighy muggs a playful take on characters from star wars, indiana jones, and marvel. i only got ironman but i think if you had atlease 10 displayed nicely, people who don't even collect toys would say "hey, those are cool."

Comment

• 60'schild
          • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by goldenryan
          mighy muggs a playful take on characters from star wars, indiana jones, and marvel. i only got ironman but i think if you had atlease 10 displayed nicely, people who don't even collect toys would say "hey, those are cool."

Like these custom DC Muggs?

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

^^^^ That Batman is Awesome !
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• goldenryan
              coy member
              • Jul 13, 2007

Originally posted by 60'schild
              those look very nice.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Howsabout MiniMates?
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• 60'schild
                  • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  Howsabout MiniMates?
                  Yeah, how COULD I have forgotten them (since I collect the DC and Marvel ones)?????

Any votes for the DC Direct pocket heroes (the ones with the painted faces) ???

Comment

• vulcan2074
                    Live Long and Prosper
                    • Mar 23, 2008

I Love the Simpsons figures. There fun and there playsets are cool
                    Sammy

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by 60'schild
                      Yeah, how COULD I have forgotten them (since I collect the DC and Marvel ones)?????

Any votes for the DC Direct pocket heroes (the ones with the painted faces) ???
                      I really liked that line and did pick up the first wave. It died shortly after that so I didn't bother with the rest.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• 60'schild
                        • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        I really liked that line and did pick up the first wave. It died shortly after that so I didn't bother with the rest.
                        yeah... I liked the pocket heroes too... I even ran a Yahoo discussion group devoted to them MANY years ago... LOL

Comment

• Seeker
                          Neptunians RULE!
                          • Feb 20, 2008

I don't think anything could match mego in the fact that mego covered such a broad range of pop culture at the time.
                          Lo there do I see my Father.
                          Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
                          Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
                          Lo they do call me.
                          They bid me take my place among them.
                          In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• Dave Mc
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 20, 2002

Thread back on track. Let's be sensitive to others. We were treading dangerously close to being really offensive, even if it wasn't intended.

Comment

• 60'schild
                              • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by Seeker
                              I don't think anything could match mego in the fact that mego covered such a broad range of pop culture at the time.
                              I definitely agree about the range but I am encouraged that there are at least a few lines out there that some folks here think have even a tiny bit of the "mego" magic, even if it's just a drop or two...

You're right of course, about there probably never being a line that covers everything so well (unless of course it's a reborn Mego!!)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎