• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60'schild
    Silver Haired Silver Ager
    • Mar 27, 2009

displaysets we could use ASAP ...

Display/play sets that need to be made:

(apart from the still-in-progress Legion of Doom HQ, Joker's Ha-Hacienda and Shazam: The Rock of Eternity)

* X-Men Danger Room
    * Aquaman's (or Namor's if you're "Marvelly inclined") Undersea Throne room
    * Baxter Building (a version with lots of floorspace, this time!)
    * Avengers Mansion (could also be used for Mutant School) with lab
    * Dr. Doom's throne room in Latveria (with Doombots!)

and some nice generic ones like:

* star and planet background (for figures who fly). Pins/wires to suspend figures from
    * urban cityscape (for the ground dwelling gritty types) could be modular too for team vs. team battle displays

See all the great moneymaking opportunities for those of you who are artistically inclined (I'm not! )

I'm sure that are others I have missed... (and that doesn't even touch on anything else in the Trek line!)

Anybody else?
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

I'd rather own a Guy Gardner Green Lantern Warrior's Bar / Showroom Playset.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• 60'schild
      • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by BlackKnight
      I'd rather own a Guy Gardner Green Lantern Warrior's Bar / Showroom Playset.
      Unless your Iron Man happened to wander in ... and it quickly could become an episode of Twisted Mego Theatre (now Twisted Toyfare Theatre)

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by 60'schild
        Display/play sets that need to be made:

(apart from the still-in-progress....Joker's Ha-Hacienda and Shazam: The Rock of Eternity)

* Aquaman's (or Namor's if you're "Marvelly inclined") Undersea Throne room
        Actually all 3 of those have been done and aren't WIPs...the Shazam and Aquaman playsets shown below were never put into Dida sleeves but they're designed to fit :

Joker's Ha-Hacienda
        Shazam's Rock of Eternity
        Aquaman's Aquacave
        Last edited by The Toyroom; Jul 9, '09, 7:11 PM.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• 60'schild
          • Mar 27, 2009

Sorry... just going by your website which only lists the dida ones...

and STILL lists Joker and Shazam as "COMING SOON".

http://www.geocities.com/thetoyroom/-MegoPlaysets.html

So WHAT is the status on these? The aquaman (which isn't listed on the url) and the other two...

Can they be ordered?? (The Joker and the Shazam do NOT have pre-order buttons ... which is why I only ordered the Fortress.. Can someone order an Aquaman set NOW already added to the Dida parts??

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

They're all available for order....the "COMING SOON" just means I was too lazy at the time to put up links on the site and forgot about it.

The Aquaman can be Dida-sized as is (meaning, just the 3 walls, as a backdrop) OR it can be expanded into a carry case with roof,floor and door, depending on someone's preference.

The same for the Shazam....it's designed as a 3 wall backdrop with a separate housing for the "Magic Lightning Chamber" (a Trek transporter). It can be Dida-sized as a complete carry case with add-on Chamber.

The Ha-Hacienda is a 3-story Dida that stacks on top of each other....no doors or carry case features. I could come up with something if the interest was there for that but it'd up the price most definitely.

Comment

• censy
              thread killer
              • Sep 26, 2007

Planet of the apes play sets!

Chris

Comment

• wyldpny
                Star Trek Mego Customizer
                • Jan 29, 2008

Anthony, are you doing the Dida displaysets now?
                Capt. Kirk: "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?"
                Mr. Spock: "I am not aware of anyone who fits that description, Captain"
                Capt. Kirk: "No, Mr. Spock, I didn't think you would be"

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

^ Steve, I've been doing my own thing for awhile using the Dida vinyl pieces that Scott sells.....The "official" Dida Displaysets are still available from Scott.

Comment

• megoscott
                    Founding Partner
                    • Nov 17, 2006

Anthony has done a great job adapting his design to Dida parts. I wish other artists would try it out, it's a blast to see what other create with them.

As for your list...

Baxter Building. : )

http://didadisplays.com/protos/baxter/index.html

Daily Planet
                    http://didadisplays.com/protos/planet2/index.html
                    This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• 60'schild
                      • Mar 27, 2009

Yeah, but like I suggested, THAT Baxter building has tiny floorspace on each level... we need a Batcave size baxter building... lots of room for Reed's lab etc...

And how's the Legion of Doom HQ progressing (nudge, nudge)

Comment

• megoscott
                        Founding Partner
                        • Nov 17, 2006

LOD is very close, actually. Soon.

Honestly, a Baxter the size of the Stately caverns is more than anyone would want. I just don't see it. People have big ideas about these, but given the expense and time involved...

Still, it could be done by expanding that artwork. It's really just adding 3 more inches to the center panels.

An Avengers Mansion wouldn't be a huge leap either. I'd adapt the mansion art from my Stately set and do a variation on the metallic headquarters art.
                        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• 60'schild
                          • Mar 27, 2009

Excellent .... excellent!!!!

(See, you have to know how to talk to these creative types ... leave a trail of possible projects for them to follow .... like breadcrumbs)

Seriously, looking forward to seeing the playset market expand... and expand ....

Comment

• bobws
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 13, 2008

i want the New Teen Titans ... Tower playset. but i don't know how they'd put the circular stairs in the middle of it. any takers on this challenge?
                            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• Tothiro
                              Kitten Mittens
                              • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by MegoScott
                              I wish other artists would try it out, it's a blast to see what other create with them.
                              I'm on a Star Wars tear again right now...
                              What are the working dimensions (for the units and for the insert panels) in all variations Scott? I need to mock up a SW Creature Cantina with Mos Eisley street scenes on the outside... What's preferred for interior furniture? Graphic Laminated MDF or thick plastic card? Do you have tech specs for the fold-out carry-case style? Because the Cantina might go either way.

And later you know... (cause I don't have the funds right now) I might really like to do a multi level Death Star. I imagine from bottom to top it could be Compactor level, Detention level, Rope Swing, Shield Cut-off Control Gantry and then either Final Obi/Darth Duel/Falcon Landing Bay graphic or ROTJ Emperor's Throne Room on top. Can they Dida displays be put together with empty floor sections or floor cut-outs (for a double level drop and overhead gantry for the rope swing)?

A single level Sarlaac Battle with prisoner gantry coming out of a skiff graphic (and maybe even a single depth shelf with railing to act as skiff outer wall for figures to display on) on the back wall and a sarlaac in the center would be cool - could have the back end of a skiff popping out of one side wall to jump across to.

I could see a Bespin too, with a Han/Carbonite change station. Or perhaps a Jabba Throne Room with a trap floor to the bottom Rancor dungeon level.

Jawa Sandcrawler desert exterior.

Sweet Jesus any of those could be cool.

You know later I'll be obsessed with the idea of BSG, Buck Rogers, and Hellboy ruined Church dioramas, but right now it's this. Once I pick up the CTVT Space 1999 figures I'm sure I'll be thinking about how to do a control room for them. Maybe a Woman's Day / Redbook craft ideas cheesy 70's generic Star Raiders style SPACE PORT too.

Oohh... Indiana Jones Well of Souls.

What are the structural options for doorways in the set walls? Just thinking ST City on the Edge of Forever or something.

All of this is why I just said "Creature Cantina." By contrast it's almost reasonable.
                              Last edited by Tothiro; Jul 10, '09, 1:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎