X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60'schild
    Silver Haired Silver Ager
    • Mar 27, 2009

Realistic vs. Cartoony, a Mego poll...

The current thread asking which Mego's look the most realistic got me thinking about style preferences.

From the answers in that thread, it's clear that folks regard some megos as realistic and others as "cheesy", as someone said in a reply (I'd prefer to say cartoony).

Well, is it an automatic preference (as the other thread seems to imply) that realism is preferred over cartoony in style?

As I look at my own original megos and customs, it's clear that there is some continuum there from one extreme to the other, but over time, it's made me question my OWN preferences of one style over another.

Do the "cartoony" megos (original or custom) have enough of a charm of their own for you or are you firmly in the "realistic" camp???

(I suppose it's like comparing Modern DC Universe classics figures to Batman Brave & the Bold or JLU figures....)

I'm curious what other folks think...
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

To me I think some Megos are realistic and others are more cheesy rather than cartoony. When I think of cartoony I think of stuff like the Famous Covers with exaggerated faces, bodies and especially hands. Personally i hate that crap. I always prefer figures to try and stay true to their comic roots which I consider realistic.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

To say something is "cartoony" is vague for me. What are you comparing them to? Hot Toys? Takara? EMCE? CTVT? And I wouldn't compare DC Direct to Brave and the Bold because each is a literal translation of something entirely different - DC Direct figures are based on the traditional art in comics while B&B is based on the cartoon which has a stylistic approach. If your talking about Megos in the grand scale of figures, no matter their intent or market focus, I wouldn't describe Mego as cartoony. Mego is really about tradition, nostalgia, and, of course, being the first company to focus on superheroes in the 8 inch scale. So for many collectors that makes them the standard. Of course that doesn't mean Mego's can't coexist with other lines. For many of us growing up with Mego's defined our childhood, but it doesn't mean we don't have our share of other lines which touch the child in us.

Comment

• 60'schild
        • Mar 27, 2009

I suppose part of the issue is that even the concepts of realistic or cartoony are subjective (and maybe even a little bit different to all of us). Sure, we can all agree, for example, that the Zicatoys Buck Rogers heads are realistic, but outside of that, what..

Sure, the Mego Captain America might more cartoony ... than say a Jack Kirby line drawing of Cap (to say nothing of modern comics interpretations)... but I was just curious if fellow museum-goers had a clearer preference, one way or the other....

In the long run, the part of MIB41's post I do agree with is the view of tradition and nostalgia... (that's why we're all here, right?)

I do find the variety (especially in customs) of Mego "styles" a lot of fun... some I've seen are Charlie-Flatt like or even more realistic.. others would fit right in with a classic Cap or Bats..

EIther way, (in either style), it's great that we all share a our passion for these things...

Maybe it's like art ....

Comment

• megoscott
          Founding Partner
          • Nov 17, 2006

I would say "cartooney" is the wrong term. Megos are simplified, while modern toys (even many Mego customs) are often highly detailed. What people prize these days as authentic are very detailed, very realistic interpretations of the subject. I love the way Megos simplify the subject while trying to be realistic.

I love that Mego superheroes try to capture a human figure in a cloth costume--they are trying to make a superhero "real", but are made very simply and at a certain level of technology that is primitive by today's standards--the boots are not form fitting, the cuffs of the sleeves are bulky, and of course, there's the classic oven mitt. While I appreciate the amazingly realistic figures of today I really love Megos for their simple, charming design solutions.
          Last edited by megoscott; Jul 4, '09, 10:01 PM.
          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• 60'schild
            • Mar 27, 2009

Simplified.... I like that..

(though I must confess replacing SOME oven mitt gloves with more detailed ones from Castaways, LOL... On some of my others.... only the mitts will do!

Comment

• VintageMike
              Permanent Member
              • Dec 16, 2004

I really appreciate both ends of the spectrum for different reasons. I love the "realism" of say Green Arrow who even now looks just like his comic counterpart. However I love the "cartooney stuff" as well as it's what I grew up and just reflected the times. Look at the superhero cartoons of the day like "Superfriends" Watch it now and it's undeniebly goofy. But because I grew up watching it I still enjoy it to this day. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the harded edged, more true Justice League/JLU cartoons fo recent years.

Comment

• megoat
                A Therefore Experience
                • Jun 10, 2003

One thing I've learned in my 6 years or so being around here is that some people are into Mego for entirely different reasons than me. I have seen some customs around here that are touted as being an "improvement" over Mego which usually means they have stripped away every reason I like the darn figures to begin with. Over articulated muscle bound bodies with "realistic" head sculpts and hands etc etc. Boring and soulless.

I collect vintage toys for a reason. They have a certain innocence and simplicity. Often times the thing that Mego got "wrong" is the EXACT reason I like the figure today!

Silly, cheesy, ugly, goofy, ridiculous, simple-these are all qualities I look for in toys.

Realistic? BLEH!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎