• Show
Clear All
  • 60'schild
    Silver Haired Silver Ager
    • Mar 27, 2009

Alien Nation to be redone by SyFy

Here's the story:

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/070901-AlienNation.html

Just as Battlestar Galactica was reimagined as a series with resonance for the post 9/11 world, Sci Fi (or, SyFy) has set its sights on a re-do of another science fiction series that may resonate with the current world: Alien Nation.

Variety reports that Tim (Angel) Minear is heading a new take on the property which launched as a feature film in 1988 before spinning off as a television series on the then-fledgling network, Fox. Following the single season of the series, Alien Nation spawned five made for television movies, between 1994 and 1997.

The property is a loose allegory of modern day America set in the near future after an alien race (the Newcomers) have immigrated to earth. As such, the stories Alien Nation told often revolved around racism and bigotry as well as an outsider view of culture and society and the conflicts of immigrant culture. The film and series focused on the relationship between Detective Matthew Sikes, a Los Angeles police officer and his Newcomer counterpart, George Francisco as they investigated crimes in a world where humans and Newcomers live side by side.

Fox 21, the alternative production arm of 20th Century Fox TV, will produce the series for Sci Fi.

"It's absolute perfect timing for this type of show," Fox 21’s Chris Carlisle told the trade. "They're looking for more grounded sci-fi and close-ended episodes, and at the heart of Alien Nation, it's a cop movie. It's grounded. And it has a tremendous amount of dramatic possibilities and humor."

According to the trade, the new series will most likely be set in the Pacific Northwest and will be set roughly 20 years after the first alien ship landed on earth, when the Newcomer population has reached 3.5 million.

"You can take (the original 'Alien Nation') a step forward and really do a show that encompasses the clash of civilizations, and the idea of a ghettoized minority," Minear said. "You can touch on racism, terrorism, assimilation, immigration. And there's room for satire."
  • AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
    I was NEVER here!
    • Jun 22, 2008

Loved the show. . . .sounds good. . . .lets see what happens

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

You know, I should be, but i'm not looking up to this.

I'm a big Alien Nation fan (both the movie and TV series) ... but in today's climate the way TV shows are made I don't think i'd like anything they could come up with.

Alien Nation was always kind of lite -- almost like a Twilight Zone.

If Sci Fi has anything to do with it, I can picture it being too heavy handed and lose the "fun" of the original movie and series.

Comment

• 60'schild
        Silver Haired Silver Ager
        • Mar 27, 2009

That's my biggest concern too... the original already dealt quite nicely (IMHO of course) with those "serious" issues while retaining a fabulous quirky relationship between the two main characters (to say nothing of the satire utilized in showing George's family "adapting" to Earth life and lifestyles). I am hoping (but not optimistic) that the type of "warmth" there might be lost in a remake... PLEASE don't make this another dark and angsty for dark and angstys sake show.. The original had a nice balance of grit and shine...

Comment

• kryptosmaster
          Removed.
          • Jun 14, 2008

Loved the original.
          Dreading this remake.
          I'm all for another movie or original cast series revival, though.
          Rich

Comment

• Hotfoot
            Dazed and Confused
            • Dec 30, 2007

Throw in the Lizards from V and we can have it all in one show!
            Too many toys. Not enough space!

Comment

• vulcan2074
              Live Long and Prosper
              • Mar 23, 2008

I could go either way on this. So I'm gonna have to give it a chance. I will always be a fan of the Original
              Sammy

Comment

• jds1911a1
                Alan Scott is the best GL
                • Aug 8, 2007

The film was an instant classic (james cahn and mandy patinkin id tough to beat) the show - eh not bad for a typical show spunoff from a feature film but it was on for way too long

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                  Removed.
                  • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                  The film was an instant classic (james cahn and mandy patinkin id tough to beat) the show - eh not bad for a typical show spunoff from a feature film but it was on for way too long
                  One season was too long???

Rich

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Has anyone heard if anything is going to happen with this, or is it dead on the vine?

Even if it is on the SyFy Network, I'd watch it... People seemed happy with their revamp of "Battlestar Galactica", so it's possible that a rebooted "Alien Nation" could be as well made/well received as "BSG"...

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                    I agree with this: How could one season be "too long"?... I was just watching one of the TV movies and Kenneth Johnson said something to the effect that the guy in charge of FOX at the time basically told him it was a big mistake on their part to have cancelled "Alien Nation" (and the rest of their hour long series) to make room for more comedies... The comedies failed and left FOX with nothing to air, and he said that in some cases, Monday nights went back to the local affiliates...

Comment

• Mr.Krusher
                      Banned
                      • Oct 25, 2010

Wasnt even aware that the series had come from a film -?!?

I'll have to find and watch this. What is the year? It's called just 'Alien Nation', or?

Thanks - looking forward to a GOOD remake!

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Mr.Krusher
                        Wasnt even aware that the series had come from a film -?!?

I'll have to find and watch this. What is the year? It's called just 'Alien Nation', or?

Thanks - looking forward to a GOOD remake!
                        Yea, the movie was called Alien Nation and starred James Caan(?) as Sikes

Think it was 1987

Comment

• kennermike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 4, 2007

another Kenneth Johnson classic production getting ready to be butcherd!

Comment

• jds1911a1
                            Alan Scott is the best GL
                            • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by kryptosmaster

Rich
                            In this case yes 1 season was too long by about halfway through the first season on Fox it seemed like they were out of ideas and started to rehash bists of the movie. nevermind the tv movies which basically make another season 5 years later

Comment

• ironman1188
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 11, 2007

Originally posted by apes3978
                              Has anyone heard if anything is going to happen with this, or is it dead on the vine?

Even if it is on the SyFy Network, I'd watch it... People seemed happy with their revamp of "Battlestar Galactica", so it's possible that a rebooted "Alien Nation" could be as well made/well received as "BSG"...
                              Hope not. I'd hate to see Sykes now be an asian lesbian and George [Sam Francisco in the film] wind up being a talking alien tree stump the way that SciFi updates everything.
                              Bugler, sound the advance.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎