Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Million Dollar Mego Man (caution:LOTS of pictures)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Six Million Dollar Mego Man (caution:LOTS of pictures)

With the buzz created by the Basa Six Million Dollar Man head (I still want to do get a BASA head from BlackKnight and do one up someday) it stoked in me the desire I always had of doing a Mego style Steve Austin that would not resemble the Kenner version but how Mego might've done it had they gotten dibs on the license.

So, when I saw the Ebay auction for a home created Mego size Austin head, I got in touch and he was interested in my custom stuff. So, for a promise that I'd get going on doing a Mego style package for Steve Austin he sent me a head made with the same stuff he used for the internet ones (which looked vinyl like). I did a card because I think that's what would have been done but I still might do a box, especially if it is wanted.

The head has a little flexibility to it, although it is still quite hard. His usual procedure is to hollow out the neck hole so the give will be more there but he forgot to drill it for me so I instilled it in much the same way I do any resin head (by splitting the shoulders a bit to fit it in).

I showed the mostly finished version of the front of the card earlier here. It was the back that was really a lot of work. At one point, it had over 50 layers and the file size was a half gig (that included all the tossed elements I keep for a time in case I want to go back to them and the new stuff I was trying).

I came up with the double life of Steve Austin art taking Kenner art of Steve Austin and working it over.

In the end I wanted the line to have two different dressed Steve Austins and have the art allow for an easy dress with existing repro clothes either way. One in his flight suit with a space program emblem (actually a NASA logo with the NASA letters removed the actual orange background of the sticker matches more closely to the suit then the picture shows) and flag sticker on a CTVT Space:1999 spacesuit with boots and a black vinyl belt.

The other art is his undercover clothes. I made the undercover clothes resemble the gray Bruce Wayne suit with Peter Parker's red turtleneck.

I wanted my first Steve Austin to be the flight suit version.

Painting the head was a different experience because I would usually do the paint job like DaveMC. That is, put down a flesh color paint base and when the painting of the eyebrows, etc look ragged, use the same flesh color to refine them and straighten them out.

But this head really resembled the color and sheen of a Mego head and so I ended up painting the hair and eyebrows and using toothpicks dipped in rubbing alcohol as sort of an "eraser" to refine all that stuff. It took some getting used to but it worked out.

Anyway, those interested can email Joe about this particular Steve Austin head, he is planning (or maybe already has) to join up here but here is Joe's email:

jswoquinn@sbcglobal.net

The availability of the particular plastic he uses varies but I think he has enough at the moment.

I also wanted the body to have some Mego cheesy bionic detail. That came in the form of stickers to the lower legs and arms. There is clear tape ver the stickers because they just wouldn't stay down but I plan to cut away the excess just so it will have a rim over the perimeter of the sticker.

Here is the card art (I have to do a little adjustment on the white rim at the bottom but this is pretty much it) the sticker art

and here is Steve Austin

Again the color matching on the sticker to the orange of the suit is better in person.

It's a shame that the blue in the eyes doesn't show very well in this closeup.

Last edited by mego73; Jun 20, '09, 12:47 AM.

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Wow!

Just like Mego would've done it....stickers and all.

I'm kinda fuzzy on the head though....if I read this right its not vinyl? It sure looks like it is, adding to the Mego-real look of the whole project!
    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• mego73
      Printed paperboard Tiger
      • Aug 1, 2003

The head is not vinyl but it is not regular resin either. It does have a bit of flexibility but is still quite stiff (especially since it's not hollow). And the sheen is very evocative of a Mego head and he colored it to match a Mego body.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• yokaijohn
        Keep it coolin', baby
        • Oct 1, 2008

COOL!!Very MEGOEY!!!
        Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• Bionic Joe
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 10, 2006

Nice job Mike but please take no offence but the head kinda reminds me of an LJN LUCCA head i love the sticker idea but please make a box for em

Comment

• mego73
            Printed paperboard Tiger
            • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by spockfan74
            Nice job Mike but please take no offence but the head kinda reminds me of an LJN LUCCA head i love the sticker idea but please make a box for em
            I will

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Bionic Joe
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 10, 2006

Come to think of it i believe Kenner went the sticker route with the later versions of Steve Austin

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Pretty cool, especially with those stickers.
                Love the card as well
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Well done! Great addition to the Six Million Dollar Man family of Megos. I really like the bionic stickers. Great idea! Excellent outfit and the paints are very well done. Great custom!

Comment

• blastphemey
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 11, 2008

sweet!! the head paint is so good, it looks like rotocast. great job!

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Wow that is FANTASTIC!! Love the Costume...and that Head is GREAT! It really looks like a China made Rotocast!
                      sigpic

Comment

• shazam7208
                        Career Member
                        • Oct 28, 2008

Awesome ....looks great!

Comment

• boss
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 18, 2003

I love it. the head is perfect (everything else, too)
                          Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Bionic-Joe
                            • Mar 29, 2009

Custom Steve Austin

Nice job Mike!!! As I mentioned before...I started in the 1/6 style as a result of wanting to make the perfect Steve Austin Figure. I Loved GI Joes and Megos, but Hated that Kenner crap, even though I was excited when I got my first one. Always wanted to have my heads made in vinyl so after working at Smooth-On as a sales rep last year, I learned about many chemicals that could similate vinyl. But I did screw up on Mike's head. I did forget to drill it out, which when I do..it pops onto a type 2 body just like the original. I wouldn't recommend removing it. Anyway, this stuff looks and feels like vinyl, molded in flesh, all you need to do is paint the hair, eyebrows, eyes, lips and you're golden!! I will be attempting to shrink more of my headsculpts soon. I currently have the Steve Austin (my headsculpt shrunken down) and the Indiana Jones by Arnie Kim shrunken. My email and paypal is jswoquinn@sbcglobal.net. If you want either, Paypal me $30.00 (priority shipping with delivery confirmation included). I understand they may seem high but this material is VERY tricky to work with and matching the pigment is Very Very difficult. You will not be disappointed. Bioinic-Joe

Comment

• 60'schild
                              Silver Haired Silver Ager
                              • Mar 27, 2009

First rate, all the way! (Looks like it was freshly store-bought!)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎