X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

So, Retro Trek figs and inflation?

First and foremost, this is not a gripe thread.
    I love what the Doc and Diamond are cooking up

I had a weird thought, perhaps our local economists or mathmaticians will chime in...but, "the cost of the new figs".

If in 1977, a Trek Mego cost $3.00 ...fast forward to 2007 and a retro Mego costs $18.00...isn't that like a manufacturing increase of 600% over 30 years?
    Last edited by noelani72; Jul 27, '07, 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

Isn't $3 to $18 an increase of 400%?

Are they really $18? NewForce is selling them for $25.99 for the pair or something..

Comment

• batmanmc
      mego batman collector
      • Jun 22, 2004

with the labor and increasing fule costs i can see why its that much more. labor and manufacturing costs are much higher today .

Comment

• boss
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 18, 2003

it's two things.

1. they are being produced in much lower quantities... so the cost per unit is higher.

2. they are being produced for collectors like us who will pay a higher price... regardless of the unit cost.
        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

$3 in 1975 (about the price in the major catalogs when they debuted) equates to $12 or so today based on inflation calculators. Factor in the fact that oil has outpaced inflation (even with the high oil prices at the time), you can reasonably argue a higher raw materials cost, especially since Doc's solid body parts take more plastic to make.

The price isn't bad at all considering these are made in minimum possible order quantities, where Mego was making millions of figures. These would probably drop to $10 or less if Walmart were placing the order, below the adjusted prices we were paying as kids.

FYI - the retail price on these has jumped to $18.99 for the second wave (Spock and Andorian), and that increase is reflected in the dealer prices as well. Hopefully they will be able to hold the line.

Originally posted by Histrionic Spock
          Isn't $3 to $18 an increase of 400%?

Are they really $18? NewForce is selling them for $25.99 for the pair or something..
          They are making some of that back in their $8 shipping charge.
          Last edited by Hulk; Jul 27, '07, 4:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I thought there were efforts being made to get retailers like Walmart and Target onboard to sell these figures. Is there any truth to that or is that strictly wishful thinking on our part?

Comment

• Hulk
              Mayor of Megoville
              • May 10, 2003

I'm sure Diamond would love to get an order from Walmart or target. The real question is could they handle an order that large. As for efforts to actually do that, that's WAY above my pay grade.

Comment

• noelani72
                27inaleon
                • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by Hulk
                $3 in 1975 (about the price in the major catalogs when they debuted) equates to $12 or so today based on inflation calculators. Factor in the fact that oil has outpaced inflation (even with the high oil prices at the time), you can reasonably argue a higher raw materials cost, especially since Doc's solid body parts take more plastic to make.

The price isn't bad at all considering these are made in minimum possible order quantities, where Mego was making millions of figures. These would probably drop to $10 or less if Walmart were placing the order, below the adjusted prices we were paying as kids.

FYI - the retail price on these has jumped to $18.99 for the second wave (Spock and Andorian), and that increase is reflected in the dealer prices as well. Hopefully they will be able to hold the line.

They are making some of that back in their $8 shipping charge.

Ahhh, good points Hulk.
                Makes sense to me.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

If I recall correctly, I paid $3.49 for a Kirk back in 1975-6, and when I surprisingly found a couple old stock Kirk and Spocks at a shopping mall retail toy store (I forget the name of the place) back in 1990, they were $8.99 each. So the price seems to be somewhat of a gradual progression, but as mentioned, you really have to consider that with much lesser quanities being made this time around, the per unit price has to be higher.

Comment

• batmanmc
                    mego batman collector
                    • Jun 22, 2004

i never thought of the lesser quanity being made. they are pretty cheap actually when everything is taken into consideration.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

2. they are being produced for collectors like us who will pay a higher price... regardless of the unit cost.
                      If that was actually true...that would be sad commentary on the culture
                      wouldn't it?
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• saildog
                        Permanent Member
                        • Apr 9, 2006

All I know is, it is easier for me to come up with $19 now than it was for me to come up with $3 in 1977.

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by saildog
                          All I know is, it is easier for me to come up with $19 now than it was for me to come up with $3 in 1977.

that made me laugh out loud. good one

Comment

• boss
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 18, 2003

Originally posted by huedell
                            If that was actually true...that would be sad commentary on the culture
                            wouldn't it?
                            It's a capitalist's dream. The price reflects what the market will bare (or is it bear).
                            Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎