X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

How Many Comic Books Fit In A Longbox?

Is that the proper term? Longbox? I'm referring to the cardboard boxes generally used to store comics.

I ask because I'm thinking about investing in these-
    Comic Cubes

They say each cube holds 150 books. I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to buy enough for the books I have.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Long Boxes usually hold between 250 - 300 comics. If you are going to buy those cubes I would just make sure that those cubes are not presswood material.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

I was afraid they might be too short. BTW, the website says they are made of "chipboard panels with a melamine resin laminate." Sounds like a nice way of saying particle board.

Any ideas for furniture rather than the cardbox boxes I have?
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
        Removed.
        • Jun 14, 2008

Depends on the manufacturer and if the book are unbagged, bagged or bagged & boarded. The more layers, the less per box.
        Personally I got rid of almost all my longboxes and went with the small box size.
        I found that after moving several of these long boxes my 30+ year old back didn't like them anymore and the short ones are easier to move, store, access, etc.
        I never actually counted how many you can fit but I think around 300 unbagged is average for the long box. Easily 100-150 in a short box.
        If space is a problem I think you could get away with creative stacking and draping them with some sort of cloth and a board on top for a display shelf/table?

Rich

Comment

• Blue Meanie
          Banned
          • Jun 23, 2001

I have to agree that the short boxes are easier on the back and IMO more sturdier than the Long Boxes. Bill, you may want to check a Gothic Cabinet store and see if they have any sort of draw/filing cabinet in wood. I have 2 CD towers, that hold about 500 CD's each, for 10 + Years...Made of pine. Very sturdy. They make great cabinets etc. Or Ikea. Besides that the only thing I can tell you is go the custom route if you know someone that is good with woodworking skills. May be costly...but at least you will have peace of mind that your shelving system won't collapse and crush the comics.

One last thing...if you decide to go with short boxes, do NOT just put them down on a floor. Have them off the floor...especially if the floor you have is cement. Moisture tends to build up and will eventually be absorbed by your comic boxes.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 10, 2006

Originally posted by Wee67
            I was afraid they might be too short. BTW, the website says they are made of "chipboard panels with a melamine resin laminate." Sounds like a nice way of saying particle board.

Any ideas for furniture rather than the cardbox boxes I have?
            I had custom cabinets made each bin is the size of a standard long box which slides into the cabinet, the bins are4 high and 2 across so each cabinet has 8 bins, Any cabinet maker sold be able to build you some i paid $75 per cabinet inc del, I got the idea from MILE HIGH COMICS in SOL CAL near Disney as they had a few holding back issues

Comment

• Riffster
              Atomic batteries to power
              • Jun 29, 2008

checkout this site, for the cost it's a good deal
              http://www.collectiondrawer.com/
              Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
              And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• aquatroy
                Permanent Member
                • Apr 28, 2002

I've been picking up free 4 to 5 drawer file cabinets on craig's list. Clean them up and give them a coat of paint.
                Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I use logboxes mostly, but I pack two comics per bag, back to back and don't use boards.

Don C.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 28, 2006

I use longboxes I bag two to a bag with board.I get approximately 220.
                    Less than 250 and no where near 300.
                    this varies depending on types of issues of course (super sized,double sized....etc...etc..)
                    But on average 220.

stored on a table covered in plastic under the stairs.My 30+ back knows what you mean and have been seriously thinking of smaller boxes...
                    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

A close friend of mine has his Spider-man comics stored in a fire-proof filing cabinet.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

I'm currently using the drawer boxes, but given the growing Silver Age collection, a proper wooden cabinet is probably a good idea. The price is right on those as well. Hopefully cost of shipping won't be a deal-breaker.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Riffster

I like that pic.

Who needs air or sunlight? I have my comic book collection!

Comment

• Marvelmania
                            A Ray of Sunshine
                            • Jun 17, 2001

I have to admit I like the look and convenienceof what Riffster has.
                            Here's what I've been using for the last few years. It's corrugated plastic short boxes (easier to move around). They're acid free, waterproof and vermin resistant. Decent price too.
                            http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=93

Comment

• Riffster
                              Atomic batteries to power
                              • Jun 29, 2008

Originally posted by johnmiic
                              I like that pic.

Who needs air or sunlight? I have my comic book collection!
                              there's another window in the room
                              Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                              And Super Powers Batman

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎