Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaptainTrenchcoat
    Career Member
    • Jul 6, 2006

I am really close to going the all trade route. The only series I actually wait each month in anticipation for is GL. Other titles like JLA and JSA, I still get but am probably going to drop very soon.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

If anyone is interested in saving some bucks on monthlies, PM me and I'll point ya in the right direction....
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
        I went from monthlies to trades to the library. I get ticked off at the library trades and they're free!
        I never even thought about looking for stuff like this at the library. I'll have to check out the ones in my area.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

As soon as it became obvious that a title would be collected immediately upon the finish of an arc, I went to trade on the title. I think it was Vertigo that first started that trend with very little lag time in between Preacher and Transmetropolitan trades, although I still needed my monthly fix of Sandman.

Not that it was always guaranteed to make it trade back then... they started off collecting all the Hitman, but the trades stopped partway through the run and so I had to go off hunting for the latter half of the issues in that title.

Now just about everything is being traded and the only drawback is when there is a ridiculous lag-time between issues. The stand-out example in my mind is Planetary, which I was getting monthly back in the day and still get issue by issue given the fact that it comes out once a year or every other year.

Life is much better with the world of digital comics and the library being fully stocked with every single title imaginable (especially manga and indies). As a result, I don't always do the Wednesday Comics thing anymore, and I can sample so much material than I previously could. I find the diversity of what I'm reading has increased as a result, and if I really dig something, I will purchase my own copy for the bookshelf and to share with others.

The only drawback with the library is with multi-volume series (particularly manga). I reserve copies, but you never know when any given volume will be available to you if the title is popular or more obscure.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Riffster
            Atomic batteries to power
            • Jun 29, 2008

It would take alot for me to stop reading most of the monthlies. It would ruin complete runs. 2 of which I have complete from 1974 to now. But i'm also not as critical of some of the titles everyone seems to hate here.
            Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
            And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• CaptainTrenchcoat
              Career Member
              • Jul 6, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
              I never even thought about looking for stuff like this at the library. I'll have to check out the ones in my area.
              I get tons of trades through my library. Love it. Michigan has a system where you can get books from almost any library in the state. I still buy trades, but this gives me access to books I didn't want to spend the money on like Red Hulk. Which wasn't too bad since it was free.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I cut back, and cut back, until I finally dropped my subscription service. I don't have time to drive out of town every week to the nearest LCS. So I just quit cold turkey. I was not happy with the general direction of the comics anymore, and felt like I was paying $2.99 a month just to get ticked off. I feel a lot better now. I have picked up a few new monthlies here and there (I picked up the first two issues of Flash: Rebirth), but I have not bought regular monthly titles in well over a year. I buy older comics I don't have and lots of older TPB collections.

Chris
                I went through the same thing.....just kept cutting back and cutting back until I dropped everything. It's been a whole year and a few months and I don't miss it. I'd rather buy old stuff that meant something to me than the garbage Gimmicks that I feel is being spit out........charging 3 bucks or more for a comic is crap IMO plus they don't even feel like comics anymore slick little magazines with photoshopped artwork and color......

Comment

• madmarva
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jul 7, 2007

I'm a monthly man myself. Up until about a year ago, I was able to sell sets of issues on ebay to recoup some of my money, but that's not working so well now.

I've considered going to trades, but I like the short format. It also gives me something to look forward to each week.

If anyone is looking for a set of issues from Marvel or DC from the last 2 years or so, I can probably set you up cheap.

Just PM me.

Comment

• 60'schild
                    Silver Haired Silver Ager
                    • Mar 27, 2009

Thanks, guys, for the feedback and comments.

It REALLY helps me as I "take the plunge" to a TPB-ONLY environment...

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                      Time to feed the cat
                      • Dec 30, 2007

I haven't bought a new comic in years,our library started carrying the tpb awhile back and I just read them from there now.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                        Superman's Pal
                        • Jun 17, 2005

I still like monthly comics, but I'm down to half a dozen if not fewer. It was kind of weird when I realized that the company I'm buying the most books from every month is Image. DC Comics aren't worth it anymore because I really hate event books and huge crossovers; if you don't like the story, you can't avoid it, so instead you end up dumping titles. For example, I hate New Krypton so DC lost me on the Superman titles until it's wrapped up, probably a year or more. Fantagraphics is pushing original graphic novels over monthly books, so no more Love and Rockets for me because I don't like spending $15 on a book I'm only going to read half of. (And Bagge only releases a book a year, and Clowes only does Eightball once every presidential term.) I don't care for Marvel, so that leaves the Kirkman books from Image and Paul Grist's Jack Staff for my monthly fix.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                          Removed.
                          • Jun 14, 2008

I've never been a fan of TPBs. I just feel like I'm not buying anything worth keeping. If I buy a monthly book, I put it in my collection boxes after I'm done reading it and it becomes a unit of that series. A TPB seems like a copy of the original that never carries that luster or uniqueness that an individual issue holds. Not that newer books retain or gain much value anymore but at least they are the "first print", if you will, of the particular story and somehow that holds more value to me as a comic collector/enthusiast (be it monetary value or symbolic value). TPBs almost never increase in value.
                          That said I too am sick of the state of affairs of the comic industry.
                          But think about something: if everyone (or enough people) stops buying the monthlies then the publishers will stop printing them. If they stop printing the monthlies, what are they going to print in TPBs??? Hmmmm??

Rich

Comment

• 60'schild
                            Silver Haired Silver Ager
                            • Mar 27, 2009

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                            But think about something: if everyone (or enough people) stops buying the monthlies then the publishers will stop printing them. If they stop printing the monthlies, what are they going to print in TPBs??? Hmmmm??
                            Rich
                            Longer coherent stories without alot of deconstructed "filler", maybe??

I wonder if the readers of the early serialized non-pictorial fiction (in magazines) thought that self contained written novels would not survive if the serialized editions stopped too?

Comment

• VintageMike
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 16, 2004

Just can't do it. I pretty much cut everything but Spidey for awhile and ended up realizing how much I missed the weekly trip to the comic store. I love having the books for the weekend and reading a couple each night before I go to sleep. Most weeks I find up picking only 4 books with the exception being the last week on the month when the bulk of what I follow comes out. It averages out to about $26 a week which I can handle. If I was still following things I way used to things might be different. I used feel liek I had to follow every major character and spent a fortune doing it. Now I just follow my favorites and don't feel like I'm missing out.

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

Interesting. As a kid I collected monthly from the late 60's until the early 80's and then got off the train. Like many I have occassionally hopped back on the train from time to time in the past 20 years, but it's only if stories AND artwork get especially good. I've been off the train for over a year now. It became apparent to me that comics like Cap were going to be strung out to coincide with their movie properties, so I knew the stories were going to be stretched out as "fillers" to wade through the time and inflate Marvel's pocketbooks until it was time to bring Steve Rogers back for the movie. This alternate universe for Spiderman also made me quit that title entirely. If they don't ever get that fixed, I won't be reading him ever again. I don't agree with this alternate timeline because that just tells me that writers have conceded they are not imaginative enough to script a credible story within an existing storyline.

They wrote themselves into a hole when they revealed Spiderman as Parker to the world under the hero registration act and couldn't figure out how to get him out of it. That never made any sense to me because Parker's decision went against his ultimate lesson which is "with great power comes great responsibility." Obviously he had to know revealing his identity would have placed his loved ones at SERIOUS risk, so why would he abandon simple logic? Why else was he Spiderman except to protect those that he loved from being hurt? Sometimes I wonder where they come up with these people to write. Bonafide amatuers.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎