X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdhall
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 14, 2004

Amen.

I think I quit collecting anything when they hit .75 an issue. What was that, 1982ish?

I'm not sure what/how Trade Paperbacks work. I do miss a good comic. I have broken down for a few Graphic Novels. A few. I don't have any budget for them though.

And they are so stupid and hard to follow, so often.

I really TRIED to like the Man of Steel reboot. But then I think they rebooted him again a few years later. And then they Killed Superman. Which was BS of course. And I don't know how they fixed that.

But I appreciate it is hard to keep going monthly for 80 years and not get stupid. But do what Roddenberry said about Trek weekly. Do less stories and do them better.

They were thinking of doing Star Trek 1x month for 90mins back in the 70s because it was hard to do a good one weekly (they said).

I'd rather have one good, long Quarterly comic, like a graphic novel or TPB I guess, than 16 mediocre short comics.

The last series I recall collecting and liking was Avengers around 180 I think when they had the HUGE war with Ultron and then the Absorbing man issues.

So too expensive. Quality varies too much. Too many "reboots." But something well done is worth it. I think Killing Joke was OK but too violent. I am hoping some of the Batman stuff is good.

Thank you for posting about the library. I may go look at the Batman stuff if they have it before I buy it. Long Dark Halloween and Gaslight are supposed to be good I think. I made a list once.

I know all my comments are very dated, but thanks for letting me reminisce.
    —-
    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
    - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
    - Captain Spock
    https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• 60'schild
      Silver Haired Silver Ager
      • Mar 27, 2009

To me, your comments certainly don't feel dated.

Though I may be turning 50 next month, at least in the area of comics, I feel I can speak as someone informed. I've seen major changes in storytelling styles, artwork as well as seesaw shifts tilting from escapism to angst and struggling with someplace mid between.

While I haven't totally given up on modern comics, there are times when I am sorely tempted (despite the value of more complicated plots than what I grew up reading in the mid '60s or the 70's.

While I will convert to a TPB only mode (and still eagerly following the newly reintroduced Green Lantern (Hal) and Flash (Barry) in DC, I must confess that I'm spending more and more time with my classic collection of Essentials, Showcases and Archives, surrounding myself in Silver and Bronze Age adventures.

Gee, has it been THAT long when books came out on time, creators didn't grandstand, writers didn't deconstruct? Sure, at least they're not making a zillion different covers (remember the foil ones?) from a couple of decades ago, purely for for greedy speculation, but in my humble opinion, there's a LONG way to go before we get a steady diet of quality stories (the ONLY reason IMHO for me to return to monthlies). Geof Johns and a few folks at Marvel seem to understand this but many more do not (don't get me started on events of Avengers Dissassembled onwards...)

Anywhoo, it's sounds like many of us are frustrated with the current state of things and are each finding our own way of coping..

Thanks again for your comments, guys... nice to know that others feel similarly on this subject....

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎