Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Great detective work, Werewolf. I think this helps solve the mystery.

Originally posted by The Toyroom

So when was John Bonavita's book released? In 2001? So were these actually new figures that were mistakenly assumed to be vintage Megos? I wonder if an incomplete or faded MGA imprint anywhere on the neck or body was thought to read MEGO.
    The second edition was published in 2000, and I believe the photo of the pilots was new to that edition (the first edition was from 1995 I think).

I'd like to see the planes that these figures were meant for too.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

MGA didn't make any planes for the figures. They only made the figures. The figures were made for RC plane collectors to use as prop pilots for RC scale planes.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

Wowzers! You guys are good!

Very cool find, and it reminds me of something from a few years back. At the time Resaurus Toys (rmember them) had planned a 1/6 line based on the then upcoming film Galaxy Quest. I noticed the prototypes were on 12" Mego bodies and I asked one of the designers (cant recall the name right now..if its important I'll dig it up) why they used vintage bodies instead of something new. He told me they werent vintage bodies. Their factory rep sent them when they requested a 1/6 body to work off of. I of course thought I had won the lottery and asked for the factory contact info, but the guy didnt know. They used a broker who most likely dealt with a dozen different source manufacturers and they wouldnt give me his name. Probably the same thing here?

I know a couple of people at MGA (if they are still there after the Barbie bashing)...I'm very tempted to see if I can find out who has these molds...and what else they have that might be of Mego origin!?
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Captain
          Fighting the good fight!
          • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
          The heads look like they could be the same sculpt. As you say, the different angle, lighting, etc may account for them looking slightly different. I don't think the image is reversed, the figures have pointing index fingers on the right hand, just like other Mego standard 12" figures do. The left hand on the one figure does look a bit odd, but maybe it's just the angle it was shot at?

If anyone does have these, I'd love to see more pics and info on how they found them. As a collector of the Mego 12 inchers, I'm very curious about these guys.
          Your right..the hands are correct and the figures cant be reversed. I'm just getting old I coulda swore when I first looked at that pic the hands looked swapped around....Wait a sec....out there...on the wing....did you see that? Theres something....on the wing...WERE GOING TO CRASH!!!
          "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Wow guys, really tremendous sleuthing.

I remember John buying those on Ebay, it was the late 90s and the auction description was something to the effect of "Mego 12" Pilots Ba Ba black Sheep" So like any of us, John grabbed them with both hands.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

Another figure I'd like to have one of just to have it, like Franz and Steve.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

WOW! I didn't expect the origins of the "mystery" pilots to be solved so quickly! Kudos and thanks!
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by ScottA
                  Another figure I'd like to have one of just to have it, like Franz and Steve.
                  The figures were sold on the MGA pilots website for several years and I also found listings for them on a couple of RC websites (all sold out unfortunately). So it looks like they were mass produced and sold for many years and pretty recently too. They just are all in the hands of RC plane collectors and not action figure and Mego ones.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna hit a couple of hobby shops this weekend.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• vulcan2074
                    Live Long and Prosper
                    • Mar 23, 2008

You guys are Amazing. I'm in Awe with the Knowledge that the Museum members here have. Very Cool
                    Sammy

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      The figures were sold on the MGA pilots website for several years and I also found listings for them on a couple of RC websites (all sold out unfortunately). So it looks like they were mass produced and sold for many years and pretty recently too. They just are all in the hands of RC plane collectors and not action figure and Mego ones.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna hit a couple of hobby shops this weekend.
                      That's funny that they were sold for a long period and quite recently, but due to the market they were aimed at, they slipped under our radar and ended up with enthusiasts of a completely different hobby . I wonder what kind of production numbers we are talking here.

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

GREAT SLUETHING!!!!!!

I have another question! I recently saw what I believe to be one of these figures nude but it was a talker. It was listed as a Talking figure on Ebay. I bid but it went for $28 wearing only pants and boots. So has anyone seen this this figure? Know who it was or what it says? Talking Mego?... kind of.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Neutron X
                          I have another question! I recently saw what I believe to be one of these figures nude but it was a talker. It was listed as a Talking figure on Ebay. I bid but it went for $28 wearing only pants and boots. So has anyone seen this this figure? Know who it was or what it says? Talking Mego?... kind of.
                          It's unlikely it's one of the MGA pilots. Their site made no mention of a talking version and since these were sold as props for RC planes and not toys or action figures a talking mechanism would have just negatively added to the weight of the figure.

I'm guessing it was a GI JOE or JOE knockoff.
                          Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 11, '09, 5:33 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Neutron X
                            Since it was nude, did it look to have the same structure as a standard Mego 12"? Pointing finger on right hand? You didn't save any pics by chance?

Comment

• Flynne
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jan 22, 2003

Am I the only one who was surprised that there were no 12 feet tall pilots here?

Great sluething, guys! Another page of the Museum is born.
                              An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• captact
                                King of Super Queens!
                                • Aug 19, 2007

SO glad this was finally cleared up!!! Now,..if there was only a place or site where they sell them......

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎