X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Mego 12' Mystery Pilots?

What's the deal on these guys? Was they part of a World War II line that never made it to the shelves?

Inquiring minds would like to know
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

I'd like to know more about them too. I don't think I've even seen any come up for sale, I just saw them in Bonavita's book.

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

I never could tell if they both had the same head sculpt. The WWII era pilot kind of looks like somebody....but I cant put my finger on who exactly? I used to think it was a re-use of the TMP Decker head, but it's clearly not. The WWI era pilot looks like its a resin head, and kind of has a Sean Connery smirk on his mug, but like I mentioned above, it could be the same head sculpt, and the angle, lighting, and headgear make them look different.
      Another thing I've noticed: The WWII pilot has something funky going on with his right arm--(well, left actually..I think the images are reversed). Note the way the hand looks, and the angle of the jacket over the wrist. Some kind of kung fu chopping action arm or something? Could this be the kung fu action body rumored for the New Avengers Steve figure.If it is, that would make these UK figures???
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I could have dreamt this but I swear they were made for model planes using old mego molds in the same manner the Bible figures did.

Doesn't somebody here own them? Roberto?
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
          WANTED for card bending
          • Apr 26, 2008

very possible, i used to go to model airplane shows as a kid, and salivate, people using megos (most notably Reed Richards) as pilots.

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Captain
            I never could tell if they both had the same head sculpt. The WWII era pilot kind of looks like somebody....but I cant put my finger on who exactly? I used to think it was a re-use of the TMP Decker head, but it's clearly not. The WWI era pilot looks like its a resin head, and kind of has a Sean Connery smirk on his mug, but like I mentioned above, it could be the same head sculpt, and the angle, lighting, and headgear make them look different.
            Another thing I've noticed: The WWII pilot has something funky going on with his right arm--(well, left actually..I think the images are reversed). Note the way the hand looks, and the angle of the jacket over the wrist. Some kind of kung fu chopping action arm or something? Could this be the kung fu action body rumored for the New Avengers Steve figure.If it is, that would make these UK figures???

The heads look like they could be the same sculpt. As you say, the different angle, lighting, etc may account for them looking slightly different. I don't think the image is reversed, the figures have pointing index fingers on the right hand, just like other Mego standard 12" figures do. The left hand on the one figure does look a bit odd, but maybe it's just the angle it was shot at?

If anyone does have these, I'd love to see more pics and info on how they found them. As a collector of the Mego 12 inchers, I'm very curious about these guys.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

I have a 3rd 12 inch Mystery Pilot. I will try to take a pic of him and post it. I won him about 2 years ago...brought him to the Meet last year...I think. The Body is an exact replica of the 12 inch Mego Body...no Mego Markings on the body or head. It's definitely a knock off. The seller that I won him off of said that the figure came with a scaled plane. I asked the seller about the plane but never heard back from the seller. I'll try to take a pic of the figure tonight.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Cool, thanks!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Here's a pic of the 3rd Pilot. Sitting on a Parchute. The only markings on the figure are on the inside of the vest. I did some research on the marking and the company that made this Pilot was the same company that made the Bratz figures. Of course pre-Bratz.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

So in all likelihood, these are knock-offs using a 12" Mego body as opposed to something produced by Mego themselves?

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Very cool pic, thanks for sharing. That's sure looks like a Mego 12" body (copy) to me. You know what's funny, I'll bet the knee pins don't break on these knockoff bodies.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Found some info. They are indeed made by MGA (the Bratz people) for scale airplanes. The figures are even fairly recent. An article I found about them was dated 2002.

Pilot patrol | Model Airplane News | Find Articles at BNET

"MGA ENTERPRISES

MGA designs and manufactures 19 pilot figures in various styles. Sizes range between 1/3 and 1/8 scale, and all figures come fully assembled, painted, equipped and posable. The 1/4-scale busts are available in WW I Aviator, WW II Navy/Marine, U.S. Air Force and Civilian/Sport Flyer. The 1/5-scale Aces of WW II are available in USAAF, German Luftwaffe, Imperial Japanese Navy and Top Gun Jet Pilot styles. The 1/8-scale figures come in four Top Gun Jet Pilot versions. The 1/6-scale full-figure pilots include WW II Navy/Marine, Commanding Officer, Civilian/Sport and Jet Pilot models. A 1/3-scale Civilian/Sport Flyer bust is also available. All figures are finely detailed to achieve optimum realism. "

MGA even had a site for them. No longer working unfortunately.

http://www.mgapilots.com

Except through the wayback machine! Pics of all the figures baby!! Booyah!!

http://web.archive.org/web/200106020...ategory_Code=5

Looks like the figures were made from 2000 to 2007.

Here's one of the busts on ebay. Looks to be the same head as the 12 inch pilot.

1/3 SCALE SPORT PILOT BUST MGA 6 3/4" WIDE 6" TALL - eBay (item 130310117835 end time Jul-01-09 09:30:18 PDT)
                        Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 10, '09, 8:49 PM.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

well now, that is notable news.
                          have to dig around in the model aircraft world to see how many of these are around.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Nice detective work!

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            Looks like the figures were made from 2000 to 2007.
                            So when was John Bonavita's book released? In 2001? So were these actually new figures that were mistakenly assumed to be vintage Megos? I wonder if an incomplete or faded MGA imprint anywhere on the neck or body was thought to read MEGO.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                              Nice detective work!

So when was John Bonavita's book released? In 2001? So were these actually new figures that were mistakenly assumed to be vintage Megos? I wonder if an incomplete or faded MGA imprint anywhere on the neck or body was thought to read MEGO.
                              Exact Repro of the 12 inch Body...The boots from the outfit on mine are exact Mego Repro 12 inch boots too...There's a lot there to think that it was a Mego. I can see why Jon thought it was a Mystery Mego Figure.

What I'd like to see is the Plane that this figure is supposed to go with.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎