X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kennermike
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

Star Team -Ideal Toys 1978

are thier any fans of these action figures I know awhile back theirs was some discussion on the Marvel Promo Comic
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

I'm the proud owner of the Knight of Darkness. I probably shouldn't have much pride cause the figure itself is a poorly constructed, highly derivative rip off of Darth Vader, but I dig him. I have to prop him up in unusual and uncomfortable positions due to his poor stringing. I hunted for a mint one for a long time before I got this piece.

The other figures I could take or leave. It was Zem-21 and some garbage can with arms. I've never officially read it, but maybe Lucas or Fox shut these guys down before they made any more? Maybe someone else knows.

Scott
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Neutron X
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 22, 2007

Still a favorite of Mine, I once had 4 Zem 21figures for a small army display.
      Knight of Drakness and Zem still have a lot of fun play to them not much value but great fun. Here is a customized Zem with Action Boy head and JJ arms hands;

Comment

• yokaijohn
        Keep it coolin', baby
        • Oct 1, 2008

I REmember them we used to have Zem 21.
        Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• AAAAA
          Permanent Member
          • Oct 28, 2005

yeah i have the zeriods (in blue) Zem and the Knight of darkness
          they are cheezee and great!

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 20, 2008

The late 70s Star Team line was obviously capitalizing on Star Wars. The R2-D2-like robot used Ideal's 1960s Zeroid molds from the Zeroid commander Zogg, minus a few parts. They also re-used the original Zeroids Spaceship for the Star Team Star Hawk saucer.

Original 60 Ideal Zeroid - Zogg:

1978-ish Ideal Star Team Zeroid:

1978 Ideal Star Hawk:

And of course, Ideal was just reusing the Star Team name that had already been used from 1968-1971 for their kid-sized astronaut play set accessories that can be seen here:
            Star Team Space Exploration Play Set

You can still buy this helmet today on Amazon.com, brands on sale, various costume supply places, and many air and space museums.

Sean

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
              To Fear is Not Logical...
              • Feb 17, 2008

I have the blue Zeroid.
              It's all good!

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

I still have the star team star hawk with the robot (though one of the robot's rubber treads rotted out, anyone aware of a replacement?).

I loved this toy when I was younger. Many of an action figure I had back then (super joe or star wars or the adventure people) came to visit many places in that UFO

did the saucer whether for this collection or Zeroids ever come in another color combination besides the red/black? I know that at one point when I was very young our neighbors had this as well (they had kids a bit older than me and had toys from the 60's on) and that the coloring was different on the saucer they owned
                "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

I dig the STAR team. Just picked up an mib Knight a bit back. very cool

I would not say they are on crappy bodies. The Knight is a Captain Action body cast in black plastic. He makes an awesome foe (or friend) for the Cap. The JJ Armes body for Zem is cool as well in all its vac chromed ness. The above Action boy/Zem/JJ kitbash makes for an AWESOME spacesuit AB. The ship is pretty fun as well.

Insofar as getting on the Star Wars wagon, well... why not. The STAR TEAM was already trademarked by Ideal, and all the body parts (aside from the portraits) were reused. Made some good sense. BTW - The Lucas lawsuit failed for the abovementioned reasons.

cool toys. Now, if I could only find a Kent and his Cosmic Cruiser. Aw Yeah

Comment

• yokaijohn
                    Keep it coolin', baby
                    • Oct 1, 2008

Nice Pix!!!!!!
                    Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 20, 2008

mazinz,

The Star Team Star Hawk came in red and grey (as pictured) and grey and red (just a reverse of the one pictured). But the 60s Zeroid version (called something with a number in the name) was yellow and blue/purple I believe.

You can get reproduction Zeroid treads on eBay or from the Big Red Toybox site:
                      Big Red Toybox Zeroid page

Supposedly the company who owns the Captain Action copyrights was working to bring back the Zeroids as well, though maybe only in comic book form at the moment...

Sean

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by mazinz
                        I still have the star team star hawk with the robot (though one of the robot's rubber treads rotted out, anyone aware of a replacement?).

About six months ago, there was a guy on Ebay selling repro treads.
                        I was broke at the time...
                        I have the blue Zeroid, also minus decayed treads!

I still like the series, and would love to expand it someday, especially after seeing these pics.
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• mazinz
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by SpaceCrawler
                          mazinz,

The Star Team Star Hawk came in red and grey (as pictured) and grey and red (just a reverse of the one pictured). But the 60s Zeroid version (called something with a number in the name) was yellow and blue/purple I believe.

You can get reproduction Zeroid treads on eBay or from the Big Red Toybox site:
                          Big Red Toybox Zeroid page

Supposedly the company who owns the Captain Action copyrights was working to bring back the Zeroids as well, though maybe only in comic book form at the moment...

Sean
                          Awesome! Thanks for the link. So my neighbors must have had either the color variation or the zeroids version of the saucer.
                          "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• AAAAA
                            Permanent Member
                            • Oct 28, 2005

If you need Treads the repors are great, I have 4 Zeriods to in clude the star team one I replaced all the treads.
                            The rarest is Not the commander zogg or exploding alien Zeriod , its a mail order red metalic one, thats comprise of Zintar head,zerak torso,and zobor legs
                            playset magazine no. 17 has a great article on them and The Man From Uncle
                            http://www.playsetmagazine.com

Comment

• Zemo
                              Still Smokin'
                              • Feb 14, 2006

Originally posted by AAAAA
                              If you need Treads the repors are great, I have 4 Zeriods to in clude the star team one I replaced all the treads.
                              The rarest is Not the commander zogg or exploding alien Zeriod , its a mail order red metalic one, thats comprise of Zintar head,zerak torso,and zobor legs
                              playset magazine no. 17 has a great article on them and The Man From Uncle
                              http://www.playsetmagazine.com
                              The one you speak of is Zemo, he also came in blue, sometime his name is on and most often not. He goes from 800-1200 loose.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎