X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steeler80
    Mayor of Strunk
    • Jun 29, 2001

Thinking of switching to Firefox

I've about it had it with IE 7. It decides to shut down at random times when you open a new tab and I can't find anything to fix the problem online.

I've heard several good things about Firefox. Does anyone here use it? Good things to say about it? Bad things?

How easy is it to export favorites and the like from IE to Firefox?
  • Blackkryptonite
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 28, 2006

I've been using Firefox for about 2 years now and let me just say I have yet to experience any issue with it. It's a solid browser and being in the internet business I need something reliable and that won't crash and lock up all the time. I say download it, take a little time getting all the plug-ins installed for flash and java and whatever else and start enjoying the last web browser you'll ever use

Oh FYI I'm not usually this opinionated but IE in any incarnation sucks.
    Last edited by Blackkryptonite; Jul 21, '07, 9:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• saildog
      Permanent Member
      • Apr 9, 2006

I switched to Firefox almost two years ago and have never regretted it. I've never used IE7 that much because I switched before it came out, so I can't really make a comparison to it. However, I immediately thought Firefox was far better than IE6 when I made the switch.

It's been long enough since I switched that I can't remember if I imported my bookmarks from IE6. If I did, it must have been easily done. I'd remember if it had been problematic.

If you are interested in giving it a try, just go ahead and download it. You can run it and IE7 while you make up your mind. I have IE7 on my PC, I just never use it.

Comment

• joshvox
        Clown Prince of Crime
        • Mar 21, 2006

yeah, it's MUCH better than IE. No contest.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

yeah I've been using firefox for a while now and no problems for me either,you should definitely switch
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MegoNinja
            Career Member
            • Feb 7, 2007

firefox is very easy to use, and IMO, it is easy to download music, video's, game's using it's tool's. It is very user friendly and is constantly being updated to ensure it doesn't have any bugs, it is also good for downloading things like video's from youtube.com or data from any source, like music from some one's personal webpage.
            I would say switch to firefox and forget you ever heard what Internet Explorer ever was.
            Take it from me, I'm a computer technician
            I the Monster Hero

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

Add me to the chorus of Firefox fans. The last time I downloaded it, it gave me the option of importing my IE bookmarks as it was loading. Never had a problem with it. One of our IT guys turned me on to it a couple years ago.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I've been using Firefox for quite sometime now. Love it very much. As to bringing over your bookmarks,Firefox does it automatically. Also has a help section in the browser for people who have switched over from IE. Oh and a little FYI while at their site,grab Thunderbird as well. I find it much better than Outlook Express.

Comment

• JDeRouen
                  Author of Small Things
                  • Jun 14, 2001

Ditto. Firefox and Thunderbird, all the way, hands down.
                  --
                  Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• mitchedwards
                    Mego Preservation Society
                    • May 2, 2003

Move to Firefox. Their security is much better than Internet Destroyer 7.1

You should be able to import you IE bookmarks with little difficulty

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

I've been a Firefox advocate for a couple of years now. The great thing is all the add-ons you can easily download to adapt it to your specific needs. And if you have a need for IE functionality, you can use IE Tan to view the page you need using IE's code within Firefox. You still have IE if you need it, but I doubt you will find much you will use it for.

Its free, better, more stable, more flexible and expandable, integrates your booksmarks and much faster. Not quite sure why people hesitate, since it is so easy to download and try. It doesn't change the way anything else works (opposed to IE), so there is no downside to experimenting with it.

I actually HATE using IE at work, but have to because of some corporate intranet functionality, but I still have a Firefox session open to do my personal browsing there. At home I only have one website that I use IE for at all.

Make sure AdBlock or AdBlock plus is your first Add on.

Comment

• daffy213
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 3, 2003

Add me to the fans of Firefox. Simple, easy and the bookmarks from IE couldn't be easier...unless of course it just did automatically but I think asking if you would like to export them isn't that pesky.
                        I Reject Your Reality and Substitute My Own....

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Forgot to add it's also got a nifty little spell checker with it.

Comment

• Steeler80
                            Mayor of Strunk
                            • Jun 29, 2001

Downloaded Firefox and, so far, I'm really liking it. Enough like IE (or IE "borrowed" enough things from it) that it's not a big switch at all. It's reliability should push it way over the top. I also downloaded thunderbird and really like it as well.

Now for an uninformed question: I had such things as flash, quicktime, adbobe reader and such for IE. Does Firefox already use these downloaded programs or do I need to use the Firefox site to download these programs for the fox program?

Also, can I just delete IE 7 and express to free up disk space?

Comment

• Hulk
                              Mayor of Megoville
                              • May 10, 2003

Glad to hear you made the leap.

In some cases, Firefox will use the IE extensions, but the best way to figure that out is to try them through Firefox and download what you need when something doesn't work.

I wouldn't recommend deleting IE since Windows uses it for so much.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎