Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

^ I had them all as a kid, they were fantastic. So scarce.

Needed perhaps a cartoon boost--can you imagine a wave 2--wasp, grasshopper, beetle etc.? Makes me drool.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 6, '17, 8:39 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Another 80s toy line and cartoon I liked was Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers.
      The toy line was apparently only released in Europe.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• acrovader
        Career Member
        • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by huedell
        Not true.

Depends on the context.

I was meaning it from a 2017 perspective... and certainly not in competition with toylines I never even heard of.

You make good points... and, hey, you may even be correct about the intent of this thread (altho' I highly doubt it, as Thundercats was kind of the "jumping off point" here)...

... but, also, you don't have a monopoly on what "underrated" in the context of toylines means.

Carry on though. Glad this thread got resurrected! It's an interesting topic for this crowd!
        Uh.. okay. Lol. Whatever.
        Last edited by acrovader; Feb 8, '17, 12:24 PM.
        I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          ^ I had them all as a kid, they were fantastic. So scarce.

Needed perhaps a cartoon boost--can you imagine a wave 2--wasp, grasshopper, beetle etc.? Makes me drool.
          Cartoon was illegal at the time of release but a Marvel comic would have helped.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

I always had a soft spot for Power Lords: http://www.action-figures.ca/power_lords.htm

I thought they were colorful, and beautifully designed with their action figures, and two sided faces. They had a nice Heavy Metal SciFi look to them. Although I remember them being not very durable.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

The Gabriel/Hubley/Marx "The Lone Ranger" line. It's really great. It was well thought out and very well executed. It's an extensive line that well made. To me, it seems a bit underrated.

As cool as that picture is, it doesn't even begin to do the "Lone Ranger" line justice.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

I always liked Starcom. By the time they came out, I was pretty much out of toys... but something about them grabbed me. I was taken with the scale of them, the magnets, the action features of the vehicles, the packaging... the whole deal. Apparently, they had a cartoon too. But I never saw that and I have never found anyone else that shares my affection for them.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by sprytel
                  I always liked Starcom. By the time they came out, I was pretty much out of toys... but something about them grabbed me. I was taken with the scale of them, the magnets, the action features of the vehicles, the packaging... the whole deal. Apparently, they had a cartoon too. But I never saw that and I have never found anyone else that shares my affection for them.

Agreed and while kids didn't bite much, adults did. I used to funnel the CDN exclusives to US collectors of the line back when they were new. It was a cool toy line.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                    The Gabriel/Hubley/Marx "The Lone Ranger" line. It's really great. It was well thought out and very well executed. It's an extensive line that well made. To me, it seems a bit underrated.

As cool as that picture is, it doesn't even begin to do the "Lone Ranger" line justice.

- Ian
                    I agree with this. I think it's underappreciated because the property isn't big right now, and Western themed toys aren't huge now, either. The only issue with them is that the figures are really hard to fix when broken, unlike Mego or GI Joe. But it's a great line.

Comment

• tmthor
                      God of Knock-offs
                      • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                      I always thought Kenner's Megabug Gladiators should have been a bigger hit.
                      They were cool I used to use them with my Shogun Warriors

Comment

• tmthor
                        God of Knock-offs
                        • Nov 29, 2005

I think one of the most underrated lines was the the Converters toyline. Especially when they got into the 3rd wave with the Avions and the Insectors

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Ian, I've never considered the Lone Ranger line as underrated, most collectors and toy fans regard it highly.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                            Cartoon was illegal at the time of release but a Marvel comic would have helped.
                            Oops, that's right. I like the comic idea.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by sprytel

They were good toys.

I sold my Star Wing long spaceship a few years ago, and sold the small ship as well.

-----------------------------------

I did not know about the Galaxy Ranger toys.

It's cool to see all this stuff.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                                Museum Paramedic
                                • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                                Ian, I've never considered the Lone Ranger line as underrated, most collectors and toy fans regard it highly.
                                Well, you're not going to see a Gabriel/Marx Long Ranger convention, or club for that matter. That may beside the point. However, compared to the or toy lines mentioned in this thread, the Gabriel/Hubley/Marx Lone Ranger line is much more known and well thought of, in many cases.

- Ian
                                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎