mego batman collector
    • Jun 22, 2004

i love the hot topic gi joes . i will have to get some . mike

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
      GI Joe Air Adventurer w/ Kung Fu Grip is now only $6.99 at Urban Outfitters.
      thanks for the tip... I just bought a couple.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Zemo
        Still Smokin'
        • Feb 14, 2006

Great tip, I just snagged 2. With shipping and tax 21.13.

Hot topics website has the LA but they want 14.99.
        Last edited by Zemo; Jul 27, '07, 5:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
          Career Member
          • Jun 10, 2007

Good deal.....
          But I'll pass.
          It is a crime they did the Air Adventurer in the wrong uniform. They put him in the Sea Adventurer uniform just as Maijer stores did with their Air Adventurer excluse.

Someone was sleeping at Hasbro when they did this one.

Again great deal, but I will pass.

Lynn

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
            Good deal.....
            But I'll pass.
            It is a crime they did the Air Adventurer in the wrong uniform. They put him in the Sea Adventurer uniform just as Maijer stores did with their Air Adventurer excluse.

Someone was sleeping at Hasbro when they did this one.

Again great deal, but I will pass.

Lynn

Yeah, that was pretty stupid. And they didn't put enough hair on the Meijers, either, but I still rather have those than the Hot Topics or Urban Outfitters b/c they have nice repros of some of the original accessories.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
              Museum Super Collector
              • May 18, 2007

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy these figures for their collectibility or the geat attention paid to detail. What I am saying though is that for $7 you can barely buy a pair of reproduction hands that are not even as good a quality as the ones on these figures. I know that as a person who repairs and restores vintage Joe figures, if I pull the hands and shoulder holsters off of these reproductions I am already over $7 worth of reproduction parts if I bought them seperately. Now add to that the fact that I can pretty much use everything here and I am coming out WAY ahead on the deal. This is also a great opportunity to introduce younger generations (but not young or stupid enough to eat the small parts) to the fun of PLAYING with G.I. Joe (remember that?). I admit that dressing the Air Adventurer in the Sea Adventurers clothes was a sloppy move from a collector's perspective but if that's what it takes to get repro KFG figures marked down to $7, I'm in!
              - Sweep

Comment

• Zemo
                Still Smokin'
                • Feb 14, 2006

Sweep your right. These figures are cool and 1 is going right to my nephew.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 12, 2004

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                  GI Joe Air Adventurer w/ Kung Fu Grip is now only $6.99 at Urban Outfitters.
                  "We are sorry, but this product is no longer available."

It sold out online. I guess EBAY will be flooded with these things within the next few days. I ordered six, got my shipping notice yesterday. I don't have any plans on reselling mine. Hey Sweep Secondhand, how many did you snag? (If you don't mind me asking)

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • May 18, 2007

Nope, fair question. I ordered 10 and for the record, I have no intention of reselling these on eBay either.

For those who did not act fast enough, I highly recommend you check your local stores and check the website regularly over the next couple of weeks. They can always have more stock returned to the warehouse.

I just checked and Hot Topic still has the Land Adventurer on there site for $14.99. This is the same one that has been on there for close to a year that these geniuses on eBay are trying to get $25-$50 for. Keep an eye on this one. He is probably headed for discount city too!
                    Last edited by Sweep Secondhand; Jul 30, '07, 7:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    - Sweep

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • May 18, 2007

I got my figures from Urban Outfitters yesterday. That's a pretty phenominal turnaround time considering their shipping is not very expensive. When I looked at one of these figures from a deconstruction perspective I realized just how much potential it has. The overall product is obviously lacking due to the wrong uniform but the individual compoents are nice - all they way down to the paper Adventure Team decal on his shirt. The boxes are in the exact same scale as the originals and work very nicely if you have any vintage box tops with bad or missing bottoms (like I did).
                      - Sweep

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
                        Walmart just has the sheer buying power to get them so cheap.

I belong to the Gi joe club and I have all the AT figures they have made less the Land Adventurer so far, only because I don't want to pay around $150ish for him at eBays going rates... Not yet anyway...

So far they have yet to be burned or anyone else to be burned by these store exclusive figures.

The figures the club is putting out are totally different then what the stores are putting out all together.

The club is putting out the regluar hand AT figures with the first issue boxes at $50, the stores are doing Kung Fu grip figures with KFG boxes at $10-15, two totally differnt figures and boxes.

Unless the club is/was putting out KFG figures at $50 then no one in the club is getting burned by the $10-15 price tag by Walmart.

If Walmart put out the AT regular hand and first issue box figures at $10-15, then yes, I would agree with you.

Lynn
                        Well, that's an opinion I guess. I have my original regular hand Joes in their boxes, but only a few of the Kung-fu grip figures (original ones anyway). What I'm hearing you say is because it wasn't that one particular line, no one got burned. Can't agree with that. Your talking about the same figure with few differences. Even more so, if your comparing apples to apples, the Walmart buyer is getting the same 70's experience (authentic reproduced figure, outfit, and packaging) for substantially less than what the Club member paid for theirs. The club figures also suffer from the same flocking problems the Miejer's figures did, so they all came from the same production run at Hasbro. The greatest difference ultimately came from the price one consumer paid versus the other.

Don't get me wrong. I think the GI joe Club is an invaluable resource for collectors and fans of this line. I think they have some great people there and the price you paid likely was the best deal they could get. All I'm saying is it's unfortunate that Hasbro couldn't have done the Club better with pricing since they had to know they were issuing these. Hasbro is a good company but sometimes their marketing department gets a tad ambitious with their pricing. Honestly I think these AT figures are the overstock left over from the 40th anniversary line that didn't sell. That's why their so cheap. That 40th anniversary line was sold commercially at Walmarts, Target and ToyR US but, as you know, that didn't save the collector from having to pay some crazy prices for this line. I ended up waiting on alot of those and got them for $9.99 (marked down from $39.99).

Comment

• DocDrako
                          Formerly Doc Drako
                          • Nov 11, 2004

"Honestly I think these AT figures are the overstock left over from the 40th anniversary line that didn't sell. That's why their so cheap." - MIB41

Maybe you're right. I bought a Sea Adventurer at Wal*Mart last night and naturally I opened him. The bottom of his boots say "Hasbro 2003 40th" on them.

I'm going to try to collect the other 4 and maybe buy a set for my son for when he gets older.
                          Last edited by DocDrako; Aug 6, '07, 1:13 AM. Reason: facts
                          "I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but the retro AT figures are now showing up at Wal-Marts around the country. They look just like the originals and come in the coffin style boxes for just $9.96 a piece. There are 5 in total, so far.

I got these pics from another forum that I belong to:

The first 2 photo's were posted by a person who just picked these up at Wal-Mart and took photographs of them once he got home.

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 1, 2005

Cool, I've been looking out for these but so far no luck finding them. I hope I have better luck than I did trying to find them at Hot Topic!

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                                Career Member
                                • Jun 10, 2007

After looking all over this weekend at 3 different Walmarts and $40 in gas doing such, I broke down and got a set off of eBay for $70.
                                I just can't keep looking around for the perfact timing to get these, I don't thave the time or $$$ to do so.

I wish these had the rifles instead of the sling guns though.

Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎