Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do you think CTVT's did -- making money, that is ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuart
    Hi-Yo Silver Away!
    • Jun 18, 2007

No doubt they could have done a better job with the bodies, but the clothing and accessories have been great.

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
      Time to feed the cat
      • Dec 30, 2007

You really can't beat them for the cost.They're not the best in quality,buts its an old school type toy that your not affraid to play with.I got a set of the knights for 20.00 including shipping,so I thought that was good,and they head scuplt on the 2nd set of monsters were really cool,the devil head is top notch.The put there logo on everything,that kinda takes a little from it and there bodies tend to break apart,but you get what you pay for.I don't think I paid more than $4.00 for one there figures.So they never got rich off of me.

Comment

• hobub
        Ghost of a Dead Indian
        • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by type1kirk
        I think the generic Mego line reproductions were a total bust for them too.

Besides some people on Mego Museum, I can't imagine anyone else wanting these.

Probably the worst of the worst was American West.... Why reproduce a line that nobody even wants the originals ?
        Ahem, excuse me Mike, but I guess I'm nobody. I collect west. But I guess I am odd because most western collectors don't collect dolls. And I see that Mego is becoming more and more symonymous with superheroes since the repros have been made but to me real history is more interesting than fiction, comics or science fiction. Besides, the superheros, for the most part, have not been reproduced. If they are, the value of the originals will indeed plummet. Just as the Treks and the SI's have. I like the reproduction acc's ctvt put out for a void, but just like the complexity of an ant interests a kid, a colony of thousands is just worth dousing with a flamable liquid. The interest disappears when the supply severely outweighs the demand. Likewise, to me, other than the original Mego's, the whole Space 1999 concept is rediculously obsolete and doesn't interest me in the least. Never existed, never will. The lack of interest in historical figures and high interest in comics is based on pop culture and current writings and reinventions of characters, some of which have been around for decades. History attracts me because I find it more interesting than fiction. The lack of interest is because the people who wrote it are now obsolete. They're dead. However, their lives and experiences sometimes are remarkably similar to those that occur in modern times and by studying how they handled situations, can sometimes predict the outcome of how current situations are handled. Sorry for the excessive info but the bottom line is that the American West and American history in general is not something to take lightly just because it isn't as popular as Superman or past predictions of 1999. I like the west figures. America's love affair with the west seems to have died in 1974 with Gunsmoke. But it was still there and is still responsible for 90% of who we are.
        Last edited by hobub; Apr 19, '09, 7:58 PM.

Comment

• Megotu
          jerk
          • Dec 16, 2001

I liked the Historical lines a lot. I liked most of what they made in fact. Yeah the bodies coulda been better made. I have issues with CTVT bodies, Doc Mego bodies and vintage bodies too. The BEST Mego body is sort of a Frankenstein of the three with a little help from LJN.
          Doc Mego Legs and Forearms. LJN upper arms. CTVT or Vintage Chest and Vintage or DM pelvis. Vintage internal parts (bands, hooks etc).

Truthfully, I HATE the Doc Mego torso. I have had over a dozen crack apart on me. And I haven't figgered out a good fix for them yet. The new plastic is great for stability, but the glue China used or sonic welding or whatever isn't working. This is not a dig at him. Or his product. One other point about the DM torso, the plastic makes it tough as heck to use a Resin head with.
          I have an idea for a new style of torso though. Two piece and it is held together with a screw. Unscrew it, add a resin head, screw it back together. Working on figgering out how to back convert the DM torsos that way. THEN the DM torso will be the BEST mego torso out there.
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

They probably didn't lose their shirts but I doubt they were super successful either. I have no insight though.

I thought some of their historical stuff looked ok but I already have the originals so I had no interest, the Space:1999 was my big thing but I ended up hating them. These were characters I always wanted to have in 8" format and they had giant heads and bodies that wouldn't stand. I've broken all of them with no effort on my part. It's upsetting when you realize, this is likely your only chance to get a mass produced figure of Maya.

I also couldn't understand how the 1999 figures were so bad, yet the Herman Munster Joe gave me is so well done.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Neutron X
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 22, 2007

I picked up 4 of the repro Mego Monsters for $20 loose and was happy with them. Nothing was broken some of the paint was a little sloppy. The repro gloves I orderd were cool too.

I think the truth is as much as we all love Mego it would be very difficult for another company to eclipse the original. I was just glad too see new Mego type figures in the market place for sale.

Comment

• clemso
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 8, 2001

Not interested in them, never will be. Its original Mego all the way form me.

Clem

Comment

• starsky
                  veteran member
                  • Aug 26, 2007

Originally posted by clemso
                  Not interested in them, never will be. Its original Mego all the way form me.

Clem
                  my sentiments exactly! i'm trying but just cant seem to pull the trigger and buy one!

Comment

• bp1701a
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Aug 27, 2007

I have order a few items from ctvt, a trek type body, a JJ white hair head,(made him a Trek security officer)a Space 1999 crew member ,Wild Bill Hickock in a box figure (the hat is a bit too big for his head) and a pair of batman mitt gloves ,a blue command chair,,two Space 1999 guns,and a skeleton which I must say is Awsome, I sent payment and the items came quick, and mailed very securly. I am very happy with the quality of the products,top notch.,
                    I am MEGO CRAZZZYYY !!!

Comment

• Eric
                      Museum Patron
                      • Jan 11, 2008

I have all of the Munsters characters MIB, plus an additional Herman and Grandpa to open and put on display. Also got a couple of the monsters, which haven't been opened. When I pick up and manipulate the opened figures, I can feel how the bodies are inferior to other available bodies. However, for display, either just standing or in the package, they're fine and a nice addition to my collection.

Like others have said, they introduced licensed lines that we might never have seen and had a pretty neat accessory selection. They were always prompt and courteous with my orders. It is truly a shame to see an independent entrepreneur fail with a product ... even more so with a product type that's near and dear to us.

Comment

• captact
                        King of Super Queens!
                        • Aug 19, 2007

Originally posted by Eric
                        I have all of the Munsters characters MIB, plus an additional Herman and Grandpa to open and put on display. Also got a couple of the monsters, which haven't been opened. When I pick up and manipulate the opened figures, I can feel how the bodies are inferior to other available bodies. However, for display, either just standing or in the package, they're fine and a nice addition to my collection.

Like others have said, they introduced licensed lines that we might never have seen and had a pretty neat accessory selection. They were always prompt and courteous with my orders. It is truly a shame to see an independent entrepreneur fail with a product ... even more so with a product type that's near and dear to us.
                        Im with Eric all the way!!!!! they did there best,..and Im happy with what they did so far....

Comment

• hobub
                          Ghost of a Dead Indian
                          • Jun 18, 2001

They did great with the Munsters. Gotta give credit where it's due. The Monster's weren't my favorite but I give them an A for effort.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

I think they gave up too soon. They seem to want to focus more on wrestling stuff now.

Comment

• ScottA
                              Original Member
                              • Jun 25, 2001

I liked the Munsters, Mad Clowns and Mad Monsters 2. Married with Children and I Love Lucy would not have been in my top 10 "to do" list.
                              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• VintageMike
                                Permanent Member
                                • Dec 16, 2004

I think they did well initially but fizziled as things went along. There was excitement over new Mego style figures. Even if some of the choices were offbeat.
                                But I think the poor bodies coupled with the fact that there seemed to be more interest in the non-TV lines (Knights, Merry Men, Monsters,etc.) Space: 1999 as an idea excited people but again the quality did them in.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎