Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do you think CTVT's did -- making money, that is ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

So how do you think CTVT's did -- making money, that is ?

Just wondering,

Now that Classic TV Toys is clearly done making Mego-like figures and Mego reproductions, how well do you think they made out financially ?

Looking at it from their point of view, do you think they did GREAT, WELL, SO-SO or POOR ?

I would say between SO-SO and POOR.
    They seemed to do well from the very start, but lost steam in the collecting community soon after.

Lines like Married With Children and Lucy were probably total flops...

Happy Days and Space 1999 ... is a tough one,
    I think they expanded those lines too much, which was probably a big mistake.

Poor body's also killed a lot of sales, I bet.

Don't forget, i'm not looking at this from a collectors point of view, i'm looking at it like I would have stake in the company.

What do you think ?
  • david_b
    Never had enough toys..
    • May 9, 2008

Yes, the bodies were pretty bad. As seen in my other posts on the 1999 customizing, other than the 'big' heads, the new figures were alright. Still wish they would have done a blue Alpha snow outfit, instead of the 'ancient Victor', but I understand keeping costs down.

All in all, most eBay auctions are following the path of Amazon.com and selling 'em for $4.99, so other than being eating their profits by all the new (or exclusive..) figures no one was apparently interested in, they probably made out alright.

david_b
    Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

I bet you are right on especially with the quality of their products. I think that killed a lot of enthusiasm.
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Dave Mc
        Administrator
        • Oct 20, 2002

I'm guessing they lost a ton of money on the entire thing. If they would have even done "okay", they'd probably still be making them. Heck, they might still be making them if they would have broke even since they are big mego fans.

Comment

• starsky
          veteran member
          • Aug 26, 2007

i think they lost money as well. they've been selling lots of other stuff it seems to make up for their losses.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

yeah what killed it was the quality,I think they did well though
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

Oddly enough, I brought that up to DocMego last year, and he said that the owner told him that he was just out to make a buck, never mind stuff like quality.

The female bodies that I bought from that company suffered from flashing, badly glued pelvic joints, feet that broke if you looked at them funny, too fragile plastic, etc.

I sent the crummy bodies back and asked, very nicely, for replacements, but heard squat.

These days, I buy from DocMego.

I know, I know; it's a shameless plug.

But it's a pair of well deserved shameless plugs.

Laurie is the nicest person I've ever dealt with, and even if she does take a while on some stuff, she always comes through.

Same thing with Doc. His female bodies, while a bit too tightly strung, are a joy to have, and his male bodies are great too.
              JediJaida

Comment

• captact
                King of Super Queens!
                • Aug 19, 2007

IMO,...I have much to thank CTV,..as its been years since we have seen a Mego type figure on pegs like they did,..and gave us figures Mego never made and wanted always to see in this format,..like The Munsters,..wow!! Its not really their fault the bodies were a bit crappy,..but the heads, the outfits were so well tailored, accessories and all,..okay,..the hair wasnt well rooted and needed more hair on some,..but you have to admit,..they were the best ones they had out, followed by the Knights, Robin Hood, Pirates,.. for those who didnt have them,..it was a joy to have these replacements, chrome swords, exceptional head sculpts based on originals, Copy of armour, accessories, again,..bodies were in "pee-stance",...along with the Happy Days and never made figures in the set, The Bradys, I Love Lucy, Married w/ children,..the continuing line to Space 1999,..just look at the outfits, head sculpts, to me....they really tried to bring us back that Mego-esque style in Action figures,..if only bodies were a better quality and if more TV, comic and movie properties were bought,..just imagine, Batman (TV), Green Hornet, More Dukes characters, more POTA characters from the movies, SMDM, I Dream of Jeannie, Logans Run, The Addams Family....but all comes to an end when there are no more licenses to a line,..and quality of the bodies and poseability doesnt satisfy the customers (we all want to pose them in 101 positions, right?)...of course,..this is IMO....
                Ray
                Last edited by captact; Apr 17, '09, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                  Megoholic RocketScientist
                  • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by type1kirk
                  Just wondering,

Now that Classic TV Toys is clearly done making Mego-like figures and Mego reproductions, how well do you think they made out financially ?

Looking at it from their point of view, do you think they did GREAT, WELL, SO-SO or POOR ?

I would say between SO-SO and POOR.
                  They seemed to do well from the very start, but lost steam in the collecting community soon after.

Lines like Married With Children and Lucy were probably total flops...

Happy Days and Space 1999 ... is a tough one,
                  I think they expanded those lines too much, which was probably a big mistake.

Poor body's also killed a lot of sales, I bet.

Don't forget, i'm not looking at this from a collectors point of view, i'm looking at it like I would have stake in the company.

What do you think ?
                  That is a good question T1K. It is one that I have wondered about for some time now. I am glad that you asked this question and put this out there for all to see. Maybe some day we will get a real honest answer from those that actually know for sure. In answer to your question I really have no idea how they did. I can remember that when I was on eBay that CTVT was selling a ton of Mego's. My first guess is maybe they were from their personal collection. If that is any indication of how CTVT did or was doing I would have to say not so great. Either they were selling their collection off to make up for their losses or perhaps they were wanting to raise more capital to invest in other ventures. In either event when one has to result in selling their prized collection I would have to venture to say that it is not a good sign. For if CTVT was doing well with the items they were selling I believe that it would not have had to come to that (the selling of their prized collection). Again, I do not know for sure so I am speculating. Although one must admit it does make sense. Anyway...I kind of like the CTVT stuff. Yes, I agree the bodies are not the best in the world. Then again what does one expect for the low costs? I am just glad like a lot of others here that CTVT came along and made repro accessories and an extended line of other figure licenses that may have never been made without them taking the initiative to do so. I really wish CTVT all the luck with their business as I personally would like to see them continue to grow and flourish. Perhaps in time their products would be even better if they should continue to keep making them. I also know for sure that sometime last year I had contacted CTVT via e-mail and asked them how much product they had left. I received a prompt e-mail response stating that there is still plenty of product available at that time. Not sure how much they have left since then. It would be interesting to know if they are still stocking, making new product or just trying to blow out what they have stashed up. ????? I have not really noticed them making any new stuff lately at all. I do not know if that is a bad sign or not. ????????? I do know that EVERY TIME so far I have placed an order (and I have placed a "few" from time to time) that CTVT delivered in a VERY prompt manner. Which is always a big plus in my book when I am doing business with someone. I will continue to order from them in the future for as long as I can. I am not big into repro parts at all. However, I do like to use them sometimes for fill in and mostly to experiment with doing customs. Anywho...That is my story and I am sticking to it.
                  Last edited by livnxxxl; Apr 16, '09, 11:05 PM.
                  Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I'd hafta say they did okay. They added figures to the line IN A HURRY; so the first few waves must have sold pretty good. I think it fizzled out through a combination of low quality and burnout. Seriously, how many Fonzies does a person need? (It would have been a good idea if they had a lower price point I think. As it was, they were still kinda pricey for an impulse buy; which an army of Fonzie's would be. I hope. It scares me to think someone wakes up one day and says "I could REALLY use a whole whack of 8" Fonzies, in different outfits....")

It's kind of a shame they fizzled when they did. A lot of their later products were pretty good; even the bodies. The weird colour ones were almost as good as an original Mego. I think if they'd had another run or two they would have ironed a lot of the problems out.

Don C.

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Hard to say, but my guess is they didn't do too well. The addition to the monster series was probably a good run, but some of the other lines were questionable, not to mention the poor quality of the bodies.
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

I think the generic Mego line reproductions were a total bust for them too.

Besides some people on Mego Museum, I can't imagine anyone else wanting these.

Probably the worst of the worst was American West.... Why reproduce a line that nobody even wants the originals ?
                        Last edited by Mikey; Apr 17, '09, 7:50 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                          It's kind of a shame they fizzled when they did. A lot of their later products were pretty good; even the bodies. The weird colour ones were almost as good as an original Mego. I think if they'd had another run or two they would have ironed a lot of the problems out.

Don C.
                          I had written off CTVT after the female bodies fell apart without the slightest provocation.

I did end up picking up a bunch of those odd macabre clown figures for really cheap, and I was actually really suprised by the jump in quality, particularly the body.

You do have to give them credit for the amount of clothes and heads that it added to the custom pool.
                          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by samurainoir

You do have to give them credit for the amount of clothes and heads that it added to the custom pool.

Out of everything CTVT's ever made, the only line that interested me was the Space 1999's --- and those heads were too small for Mego customs.

You had to either use a piece of crap CTVT's body for a custom using that head, or have a Mego custom with a pin head.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

I bought two bodies here and I have to admit, the quality is terrible.
                              They fall apart just looking at them. The arms seem to be too small, and are pulled into the torso.
                              A good thing that most of these aren't sold to children, 'cause we'd have a lot of choked-to-death kids by now.
                              To be honest, I get all choked up, too, thinking I paid good money for them...
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎