Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kazombie
    • Oct 8, 2007

"NEW" MEGO Re-issue question

Are these new figures marked the same as MEGO or do they have current dates on them and manufacturer?

I am worried that people will start selling these new POTA and Trek as original figures and want to be able to identify.

Also, did the "new" monsters come with Type 1 hands?

Thanks,
    Chris AKA Kazombie
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The Mego Museum accessory check section will tell you everything you want to know AND MORE

Accessory Check: Mego Museum

m

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

Well, some unscrupulous (or just plain stupid) sellers do try to pass them off as originals.
      There are differences that tell you what is vintage and what is "new".
      I especially like sellers that mention "1974 figure", and you can clearly read "2008" on the card.
      The only way to be sure is to do your homework, get to know the differences, and check the photos from sellers well. When in doubt, ask for more and better photos.
      For packaged figures, the difference is already very clear.

The Mego Museum is the perfect place to start!
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• haggis
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 17, 2008

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the link and info., t1k & Cpt. Gorn!
        No exclusives and no chase figures, please - I'm Canadian!

Comment

• kryptosmaster
          Removed.
          • Jun 14, 2008

Not a big fan of repro stuff here but understand the desires that make them a necessary evil. I'm always leery about buying vintage stuff on ebay that has been repro'd. The more figures they recreate make it that much harder to be sure and that much more likely to get taken at some point in the future. Especially if it's unmarked. Sometimes you have to trust the seller and/or go with your gut. If it seems too good to be true or something looks fishy, it probably is.

Rich

Comment

• clemso
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 8, 2001

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
            Not a big fan of repro stuff here but understand the desires that make them a necessary evil. I'm always leery about buying vintage stuff on ebay that has been repro'd. The more figures they recreate make it that much harder to be sure and that much more likely to get taken at some point in the future. Especially if it's unmarked. Sometimes you have to trust the seller and/or go with your gut. If it seems too good to be true or something looks fishy, it probably is.

Rich
            I'm with you on this Rich, especially repo decals, repo shoe/boots are also difficult to tell from a pic.

Clem

Comment

• Dave Mc
              Administrator
              • Oct 20, 2002

It is pretty hard to tell in some cases. Especially in ebay pics. In order to create accessory check, I had to get in my hands each and every factory reproduction part made and do a visual comparision. Doc was great about supporting the project and sent me one of everything. Joe also was great in helping out by sending me the CTVT stuff to examine.

I've tried to show the differences in pictures, and describe them in the cases that pictures don't show the obvious differences. However, in some cases you still can't tell in an ebay pic. You have to get the item in your hands and then look at the AC pics and description. Unfortunately that's after the purchase.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

At least we don't have to worry about the Gorn. There's no way you'll be able to mistake the new one with the old one.

Comment

• AAAAA
                  Permanent Member
                  • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by Dave Mc
                  It is pretty hard to tell in some cases. Especially in ebay pics. In order to create accessory check, I had to get in my hands each and every factory reproduction part made and do a visual comparision. Doc was great about supporting the project and sent me one of everything. Joe also was great in helping out by sending me the CTVT stuff to examine.

I've tried to show the differences in pictures, and describe them in the cases that pictures don't show the obvious differences. However, in some cases you still can't tell in an ebay pic. You have to get the item in your hands and then look at the AC pics and description. Unfortunately that's after the purchase.
                  Dave does great Seminar at mego meet on the differents and wacth to look out
                  for.
                  Last edited by AAAAA; Apr 11, '09, 8:57 PM.

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by kazombie

Also, did the "new" monsters come with Type 1 hands?

Thanks,
                    Chris AKA Kazombie
                    Hiya Chris.

I am assuming you are talking about the CTVT Mad Monsters.
                    They are on the CTVT body which is similar to Megos type 2. There are no metal rivets on the CTVT items. The bodies are also marked differently on the torsos and I don't believe the heads of the CTVT items are marked at all. The reissue heads also have glow paint on the eyes where the originals have a glow in the dark plastic that is the eye.

hope that helps you there.
                    rche

Comment

• kazombie
                      • Oct 8, 2007

New "MEGO" Molds?

How are these head's made? Are they using the original molds from Mego, or did they just make an impression of the head and work from there? Just curious...

Kazombie

Comment

• drmego
                        EMCE Toys
                        • Jun 15, 2001

All original Mego molds were lost when the company went under in 1982.

The body mold was used to make Menudo figures in 1983-84, but after
                        that, I don't know of any toys that had Mego accessories.
                        www.drmego.com
                        www.megoman.com
                        www.emcetoys.com

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎