• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannabeMego
    Made in the USA
    • May 2, 2003

I'm riding from Boston to NY for ALS

Hi All ~

I've knocked around the idea of posting this in the forum for quite a while. Personally, I always feel funny asking for things...but this particular cause means alot to me and every little bit helps.

I have always encouraged and supported my wife, and like everything else she commits herself to, she always gives 1000%.

Several years ago she began cycling and also found out that her Uncle had ALS (a.k.a. Lou Gehrig's Disease).

In her eagerness to find out everything about ALS (because thats the kind of person she is), she stumbled upon the Tri-State Trek.

The Tri-State Trek is a A 270 mile, 3-day bike ride from Boston to New York, to raise money and awareness for ALS. After expenses, over 90% of the fund raising goes to ALS TDI. ALS TDI is a research center built by ALS patients and families frustrated by the pace and quality of conventional research.

This will be her third year cycling for her Uncle and ALS.

In the past, my son and I have volunteered to help the cyclists at the rest stops, but last year Mari (my wife) asked if I'd join her. I used to cycle (many years ago), but had to stop due to surgery that removed cancer growths from my knee. I've always babied that leg even though I was probably more then capable of continuing...needless to say, I said, 'Yes'.

Over the Thanksgiving Holiday we found out that her Dad was in 4th Stage Lymphoma Cancer, and to make matters worse, her Uncle Nobu died on St. Patrick's Day. After seeking months of alternative treatments, he had returned home to Japan and peacefully passed...

It's been pretty tough, but life keeps moving on...

I'm posting this in hope that you may wish to help those who have and are suffering from ALS.

This is a great cause for a horrible disease with truly wonderful and beautiful people volunteering and participating.

It's not a race...it's a ride...with and for friends and loved ones.

We leave for Boston on Wednesday, July 18th, 2007 and will return on Sunday, July 22nd, 2007.

Wish Us Luck.

Peace.

Supporting Links:

Please do NOT send us any money...If you care to give, please make a direct contribution to our Team:

Team Name:The Phoenix Cycle
    My Rider #51
    Mari's Rider #54

...In addition, Mari mailed out a ton of requests for Autographs in hopes of putting them up for Auctions. She received quite a few, but eBay will not allow personal auctions for charity without going through their affiliate 'Mission Fish'...and then you have to have your organization listed with them. So If you were interested in contributing and interested in obtaining one of these autographs, please let me know and I'll let you know of it's availability. Here are some:

Please pass this along to whomever you think may be interested, including any Institutions and/or Organizations you believe may wish to help...every little bit helps.

Thank You...and if you can not contribute at this time, all I ask is that you please spend a little time reading about ALS.

Respectfully Yours,

Tommaso Ligotti
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

Good luck, Tom. This is a very good and noble thing you're doing.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

After getting to know Tom at Mego Meets, I'm not surprised at all to see him doing this. Tom is just one of those selfless good guys. I've always wanted to do something like this, but the difference between wanting and doing is what separates the men from the boys. Way to go, Tommaso.

Comment

• batmanmc
        mego batman collector
        • Jun 22, 2004

a great cause tom . i give to it every year a guy at work his mom has it and his whole family does a walk. congrats tom and hope you and your wife do well. mike

Comment

• Blue Meanie
          Banned
          • Jun 23, 2001

Everyone here better donate...or you'll never be able to trade or purchase anything from my Mego EMPIRE

Seriously, it's a great cause and a great thing my Big Bro and Sister In-Law are doing...Give what you can...check out the auctions for the Autographed stuff...make yourself more aware of ALS...anything is better than doing nothing. Thanks to everyone here on the museum in advance.

Comment

• Dave Mc
            Administrator
            • Oct 20, 2002

Good luck Tom! I'll kick in a few later tonight.

Comment

• mitchedwards
              Mego Preservation Society
              • May 2, 2003

Good luck, and have a safe ride.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• WannabeMego
                Made in the USA
                • May 2, 2003

My wife & I will be leaving early tomorrow morning for Boston. We'll have 2 days before the first ride to relax (somewhat) and see a couple of friends.

I've told myself repeatedly that whatever physical barriers I may hit throughout my journey, that is nothing compared to what people with ALS have to live with everyday.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous, but there is a point you reach when you ride, when you are totally focused within yourself and everything around you, that wipes away any doubt or fatigue.

Thank You All for your kind words and support...They give me strength and are greatly appreciated.

Stay Well.

With Much Respect,

Tom
                Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Hulk
                  Mayor of Megoville
                  • May 10, 2003

Take care, and good luck! Knowing you, I am not surprised you are doing this, not only for ALS but for your wife. Have a great trip, and let us know how you do.

Comment

• ABMAC
                    User
                    • May 16, 2002

Take your time and enjoy the ride!

Comment

• Dave Mc
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 20, 2002

Let us know when you reach the other side Tom!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Best of luck to you and your wife, Tom!

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎