Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restore your Mego zombie head - no dipping!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Plastic Vulcan
    • Apr 25, 2019

So are there any updates? Did the treatment hold up?

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
      Career Member
      • Jul 23, 2019

Speaking of the zombiefed grey heads... curious if new Mego figures or even FTC figures will eventually have this happen to their heads over time as well, or are the heads being made of a better/different material these days?
      "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• Plastic Vulcan
        • Apr 25, 2019

From what I understand, the Zombie Head really only happens towards the tail end of the original Mego Era. The older heads don't really get that way. Mego must've been cutting some corners in the head making process when the company started falling on hard times.

Comment

• Plastic Vulcan
          • Apr 25, 2019

Oh BTW I used your red marker/rubbing alcohol technique last night and it worked great. Even if it only lasts for a short time, it is fast and easy enough to do again in a year or so.

Comment

• danadoll
            Micronaut Nut!
            • Apr 11, 2005

Someone, somewhere said that you can use the peach colored sharpies on Caucasian heads (of course) too. I just can't recall where I saw it, it was probably one of the Mego Facebook groups.

Dana
            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• shooby32
              • Jun 1, 2007

The grayin of the vinyl isn't due to a fungus. The red pigment in the mix of various colors to make the skintone is the issue. Either the chemical itself was cheap or unstable, or the vinyl formula (especially the plasticizer) attacks the red pigment, causing it to degrade. Without the red pigment, what you are left with in the skintone are all the other colors, making up the gray tone. (I lean towards th3 plasticizer explanation, as usually the faded heads are "greasy ", which is usually migrating plasticizer)

This is why the plasti dip stuff did the job. There wasn't anything miraculous about the material, apart from the fact that it stained the vinyl , replacing the red again.

With the right formula, timing, and color, one could use dye to dye the heads as well.

But as Doc mentioned, the retinting with plasti dip wasn't permanent. I'm guessing that is because the plasticizer attacks the red tint again.

So I would also guess that the Sharpie method might fade over time as well. It's like building a brick house on quicksand...no matter how strong the house is, if it's built upon unstable land, that house is a-gonna fall....

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎