X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by C.H.O.A.M.
    Years ago at a comic show on Long Island I was stunned to see Mr. John Romita at a table with some of his original spidey art. Being the huge fanboy I could barely even get close enough to look at what he was selling. I never did get up the nerve to ask how much... it seemed like a dream!
    Wow really? I would have stepped up and introduced myself. I never miss a chance to say hello or speak to any of my heroes especially older artist because that may be the one and only chance you get to say thank you to them.

I went to the 50th anniversary of Superman at the Puck building in the late 80's and Curt Swan was there signing autographs....at first there were too many people at his table then i waited when mostly everyone left and I went up to him introduced myself and we spoke for about a good 40 minutes talking about his career and the impact he made on my life as an Illustrator and the joy he gave me as a child reading Superman.

He was very appreciative of that I got an autograph and took pics of him and i have a fond memory before he passed away a few years later....

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
      learning all the time
      • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
      Wow really? I would have stepped up and introduced myself. I never miss a chance to say hello or speak to any of my heroes especially older artist because that may be the one and only chance you get to say thank you to them.

I went to the 50th anniversary of Superman at the Puck building in the late 80's and Curt Swan was there signing autographs....at first there were too many people at his table then i waited when mostly everyone left and I went up to him introduced myself and we spoke for about a good 40 minutes talking about his career and the impact he made on my life as an Illustrator and the joy he gave me as a child reading Superman.

He was very appreciative of that I got an autograph and took pics of him and i have a fond memory before he passed away a few years later....
      well I did say hello but that was it. my mind literally went blank.
      he had some art on his table but none of it was priced. I was afraid to ask him how much because if he said "make me an offer" I was afraid to insult him! I had no grasp of the value of original comic art at the time.
      as a kid I used to study his spidey art before I could even read!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
        Banned
        • Jun 23, 2001

Some recent pickups on ebay:

I got this one as a bonus sketch from Jerry Ordway. Good use of an Ebay invoice.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...742&GSub=98575

Here's the prelim page from JSA 23:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...733&GSub=98575

My newest Grail...The entire prelims from Captain America number 6 by Alan Davis. Haven't scanned the entire 21 pages..but here's a sample of the cover with the Printed Cover next to it:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...617&GSub=98575

Now I have to start saving for the Baltimore Comic Con. The ultimate piece for me would be a cover...and not just a prelim of a cover...I mean the cover that was used for the printing of the book. It will happen one day.
        Last edited by Blue Meanie; Jul 7, '12, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
          Some recent pickups on ebay:

I got this one as a bonus sketch from Jerry Ordway. Good use of an Ebay invoice.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...742&GSub=98575

Here's the prelim page from JSA 23:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...733&GSub=98575

My newest Grail...The entire prelims from Captain America number 6 by Alan Davis. Haven't scanned the entire 21 pages..but here's a sample of the cover with the Printed Cover next to it:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...617&GSub=98575

Now I have to start saving for the Baltimore Comic Con. The ultimate piece for me would be a cover...and not just a prelim of a cover...I mean the cover that was used for the printing of the book. It will happen one day.
          WOW!!!!! How incredibly cool is that!!! his prelim work is pretty amazing in itself again as an illustrator myself i would be more attracted to this than the final page but I wouldn't pass on a good finished page if i could afford one.

That Sketch is so Cool i like that he did that shows the type of guy he is.....

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

Love those prelim pages and Ordway's prelim's have a Joe Kubert lookl to them. very cool. Love that Flash sketch, too.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

Latest addition...Jose Luis Garcia Lopez prelim for the cover of Deadman #3:

One of these days, and hopefully soon, I will have an original cover....but until that day comes I will have to settle for prelims of covers.

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Here's some neat stuff I've picked up recently.

Bob Layton Sketches

Production Art (Not the real thing, but they look nice and are what I can afford)

Last edited by madmarva; May 24, '13, 1:50 PM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Love Layton's stuff. I've been looking to get one Iron Man page...but they go for almost $1000 a page. He is definitely one of THE artists that defined Iron Man. Really nice sketches. Did you get them at a show?

As for the production art...I love the acetates. It's what I used to do when I was in printing. I have a few acetates myself. Original acetates for a Green Lantern Perez cover as well as a Batman cover. Still trying to figure out how to do the overlay work in Photo Filtre program I have and then print them out. What does the image area measure? Cause it looks like you have 2 up art on the Spidey and GL cover. Those are harder to find then some of the other acetates out there. Nice.

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

The Goblin and GL pages are the size of original art pages. The Batman one is about the size of a comic book.

You might check with Layton about a commission. He'll do a cover-like image with 5 characters for $500 on original art page.

I bet your Perez GL cover looks great.
                    Last edited by madmarva; May 24, '13, 7:17 PM.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

That Ironman Is Great Terry ....
                      500 ? .... an Avenger Splash Might Be Kinda Cool to Have.
                      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                        Banned
                        • Jun 23, 2001

Just added some scans of my latest additions to my collection:

A Creed page that I can't remember what issue it is from...gotta dig out my issues of this series:

A prelim of the Warlord 28 cover by Mike Grell...and it's Pencils and inks which is great. I can display it without any worries of fading:

Last but not least is a page from a Black Canary story in Worlds Finest 251. It's the first Vertigo story and it is Trevor Von Eeden pencils:

Last edited by Blue Meanie; Mar 24, '15, 9:44 AM.

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

That Warlord cover is cool. Love Grell's work. The photo of the Canary page isn't showing up on my end.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                            Banned
                            • Jun 23, 2001

Fixed the issue with the pictures/scans. I couldn't see the pics on my end. Don't know if it's a museum issue or if it's a computer issue on my end.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

Been a long while since I posted anything in this thread. I think it has to do with issues with grabbing my images off of the Comic Art Fan site. Hope this works. Here are a few pieces from the last year or so:

This was an ebay auction piece that went to help out the inkwell awards:

Here's something I never thought I would ever own...a John Buscema piece. I know it's just a prelim but it's still a great piece showing how he went about his art...the process. From Galactus The Devourer #6:

Comment

• WannabeMego
                                Made in the USA
                                • May 2, 2003

Can't see most of the Images
                                Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎