Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with the FRANKENSTEIN MEETS ABBOTT & COSTELLO DVD ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

My wife brought this home from the local library where she works. The boy and I watched it tonight. What a fun movie. And it really doesn't make the monsters look too bad. It's actually one of the better sequels, in my opinion.

This one was definitely Universal's copy as well.

CHris
    sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

Love the movie. It's only the second time Lugosi played Dracula. He had a couple of other vampire roles after Dracula that were essentially the same, but A&C meet Frankie is his only official follow-up to the film that made him famous.

The mixture of the monsters and the comedy was just right.

It would have been great if they could have gotten Karloff in the film. He was in a couple of other "A&C meet" movies.

I thought the monsters actually fared better in this film than several of the sequels in the mid 1940s.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Love the movie. It's only the second time Lugosi played Dracula. He had a couple of other vampire roles after Dracula that were essentially the same, but A&C meet Frankie is his only official follow-up to the film that made him famous.

The mixture of the monsters and the comedy was just right.

It would have been great if they could have gotten Karloff in the film. He was in a couple of other "A&C meet" movies.

I thought the monsters actually fared better in this film than several of the sequels in the mid 1940s.
        Yep. Agree all around. Lugosi did play Dracula on stage off and on for years, and was the original Dracula on Broadway years before the film. But it seems odd that he only officially played Drac twice. Why not get him instead of John Carradine?

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• JPkempo
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 17, 2001

I have the official universal DVD it has a few nice extras.
          Lugosi was Drac and in one seen he was Frankenstein. The actor who was Frank whacked his head and knocked him self out so Lugosi said he would do it.

If you watch the Mummy you'll see Abbott and Costello keep screwing up and use their real names as well as there scripted names.

Comment

• AAAAA
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by JPkempo
            I have the official universal DVD it has a few nice extras.
            Lugosi was Drac and in one seen he was Frankenstein. The actor who was Frank whacked his head and knocked him self out so Lugosi said he would do it.

If you watch the Mummy you'll see Abbott and Costello keep screwing up and use their real names as well as there scripted names.
            I have a mag that explains the story, STRANGE who played Frank, Broke his leg, when he threw the female doctor at the sky light she Bounced off it and Strange try to catch her & trip on some cables on the floor and Broke his leg.
            ( you can see the cables on the floor in some sences) Lon chaney Jr. got in the make up and Did some shots. ,Strange came back for the end sences, On the pier you can see the cast painted Black on his leg.
            Bella was more than happy to do a comedy, said his son who was on the set.Bella was also heavey drinking at this time.
            He pretty much used up his clout at Unverisal & because of his thick Hungarian accsent roles became fewer and fewer.
            the Sence where frank Punches threw the door ,Actuclly HIT lou in the face , But the professional that Lou was he rolled with the punches. the movie also boast the First on screen Man to bat tranformation using animation inbetween.and Vincent Price as uncredit Invisiable man was great.
            its a great movie and only Lou & and Bud could pull it off.
            Last edited by AAAAA; Apr 13, '09, 9:50 PM.

Comment

• mego73
              Printed paperboard Tiger
              • Aug 1, 2003

Originally posted by AAAAA
              I have a mag that explains the story, STRANGE who played Frank, Broke his leg, when he threw the female doctor at the sky light she Bounced off it and Strange try to catch her & trip on some cables on the floor and Broke his leg.
              ( you can see the cables on the floor in some sences) Lon chaney Jr. got in the make up and Did some shots. ,Strange came back for the end sences, On the pier you can see the cast painted Black on his leg.
              Bella was more than happy to do a comedy, said his son who was on the set.Bella was also heavey drinking at this time.
              He pretty much used up his clout at Unverisal & because of his thick Hungarian accsent roles became fewer and fewer.
              the Sence where frank Punches threw the door ,Actuclly HIT lou in the face , But the professional that Lou was he rolled with the punches. the movie also boast the First on screen Man to bat tranformation using animation inbetween.and Vincent Price as uncredit Invisiable man was great.
              its a great movie and only Lou & and Bud could pull it off.
              Yeah, except I thought it was Lon Chaney who stood in for Strange as Frankenstein in that one scene.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• AAAAA
                Permanent Member
                • Oct 28, 2005

Originally posted by mego73
                Yeah, except I thought it was Lon Chaney who stood in for Strange as Frankenstein in that one scene.
                Which scene?
                , part of the pier? some of it was Chaney some of it was Strange.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by AAAAA
                  The movie also boast the First on screen Man to bat tranformation using animation in between
                  Walter Lantz of Woody Woodpecker fame did that animation....I love this movie and never ever get tired of watching it.....

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

That animation actually worked pretty well. Seems like Hollywood was really toying with using animation for optical FX at the time. This worked far better than Kirk Alyn turning into a cartoon Superman every time he flew!

I didn't know about Chaney playing Frankie in this. Did he play the monster in another movie? I seem to recall he did, but I can't seem to place it. I know he played Son of Dracula and the Mummy at one point.

Speaking of which, in "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman", did anyone fill in for Lugosi as the Monster? In a couple of scenes (particularly when Chaney finds him on ice) it looks like someone else in the makeup. Maybe Strange?

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      I didn't know about Chaney playing Frankie in this. Did he play the monster in another movie? I seem to recall he did, but I can't seem to place it. I know he played Son of Dracula and the Mummy at one point.
                      Chaney was the Monster in "Ghost of Frankenstein". His co-star was Evelyn Ankers, who also starred with him in "The Wolfman" and "Son of Dracula".
                      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Speaking of which, in "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman", did anyone fill in for Lugosi as the Monster? In a couple of scenes (particularly when Chaney finds him on ice) it looks like someone else in the makeup. Maybe Strange?
                        Yup....Lugosi wasn't in that great of shape at that point so a stuntman filled in for the Monster's opening scene in the block of ice. And several stuntmen worked as The Monster in portions of the big fight between him and the Wolfman.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks Anthony!

So did everyone at Universal play the monster at some point, or what?

One tidbit about Frankenstein actors I'm sure most of you know, but I often forget: Glenn Strange played Butch Cavendish in the early episodes of the classic Clayton Moore Lone Ranger series!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

So did everyone at Universal play the monster at some point, or what?
                            I find it interesting that the Monster went through several players, as did Dracula and the Mummy. The only one that had a consistent actor was the Larry Talbot version of The Wolfman (Lon Chaney Jr.)

Comment

• shellhead
                              museum rustpot
                              • Mar 1, 2007

Lugosi's stunt double in Frankie meets Wolfie was a big guy named Gil Perkins.
                              Lugosi mostly did the close-up scenes.
                              Last edited by shellhead; Jun 19, '10, 9:52 PM.
                              Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• knight errant00
                                8 Inch Action Figure
                                • Nov 15, 2005

One tidbit about Frankenstein actors I'm sure most of you know, but I often forget: Glenn Strange played Butch Cavendish in the early episodes of the classic Clayton Moore Lone Ranger series!
                                I just watched this one with my daughter and noticed that . . . going one step further, I also noticed in those first episodes that the LR's brother Dan is played by Tristram Coffin, who was Rocket Man in the "King of the Rocket Men" serial!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎