Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wyldpny
    Star Trek Mego Customizer
    • Jan 29, 2008

Capt. Kirk: "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?"
    Mr. Spock: "I am not aware of anyone who fits that description, Captain"
    Capt. Kirk: "No, Mr. Spock, I didn't think you would be"

Comment

• ramsey37
      • Jun 18, 2001

I picked up a few sentimental favorites recently. First up is a pair of Tomland figures, the Yeti and the Cyclops:

The Cyclops is missing his jacket and scarf, but I got a great price on the pair. I never owned any Tomlands as a child, but I do distinctly remember seeing the original four Tomland Famous Monsters of Legend hanging on the pegs at a drugstore in Indianapolis circa 1976. I really wanted them, but never had any until I got my first computer and started buying online. At one point I owned a large collection of Tomland figures, but sold them off several years ago. I've been finding myself watching Tomland auctions alot lately, which is a sure sign that I'll probably be actively seeking them out more in the future.
      Next up is an old friend that I finally managed to repurchase, the Ben Cooper Frankenstein jiggler:

I bought one of these around thirty years ago at the old Five and Dime in Tompkinsville, KY. Tompkinsville is a tiny farming community not far from the Tennessee border, and it's the town where my grandparents lived for most of their adult lives. I believe it was on a visit to their home that I got my jiggler. The Five and Dime used to be a wonderland of jiggler dump tables and shelves filled with Aurora Glow models, and I have many happy memories of browsing the shelves there as a kid. Sadly, my childhood Frankenstein suffered a tragic injury within an hour of my buying him: my dumb cousin bit off one of his hands! I kept him for years afterward, but the missing hand always bugged me.
      Grandma Ramsey died earlier this year. She was my last living grandparent, and the one I miss the most. Somehow tracking down this goofy ol' Frankenstein jiggler reminds me of those years when she'd humor me by pretending to be scared of my rubber monsters. It's kinda like having a little moment frozen in time, when I was young and had grandparents who loved me and humored my affection for monsters.
      George

Comment

• Orion
        Museum Night Watchman
        • Mar 11, 2008

Those are awesome pick-ups and a great story to go along with them. I just love that Frankenstein jiggler. Congrats on tracking him down again!!!

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Nice pick ups George. I had a Yeti but sold him a few years ago, and I regret doing so now. The only one I had as a kid was the Cyclops. I'll have to get one again someday.

And nice story about the jiggler. "Little moments frozen in time". I like that, that's what a lot of my stuff mean to me as well. Maybe that's why a lot of us love collecting all these silly things.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by ramsey37
            I picked up a few sentimental favorites recently. First up is a pair of Tomland figures, the Yeti and the Cyclops:

The Cyclops is missing his jacket and scarf, but I got a great price on the pair. I never owned any Tomlands as a child, but I do distinctly remember seeing the original four Tomland Famous Monsters of Legend hanging on the pegs at a drugstore in Indianapolis circa 1976. I really wanted them, but never had any until I got my first computer and started buying online. At one point I owned a large collection of Tomland figures, but sold them off several years ago. I've been finding myself watching Tomland auctions alot lately, which is a sure sign that I'll probably be actively seeking them out more in the future.
            Next up is an old friend that I finally managed to repurchase, the Ben Cooper Frankenstein jiggler:

I bought one of these around thirty years ago at the old Five and Dime in Tompkinsville, KY. Tompkinsville is a tiny farming community not far from the Tennessee border, and it's the town where my grandparents lived for most of their adult lives. I believe it was on a visit to their home that I got my jiggler. The Five and Dime used to be a wonderland of jiggler dump tables and shelves filled with Aurora Glow models, and I have many happy memories of browsing the shelves there as a kid. Sadly, my childhood Frankenstein suffered a tragic injury within an hour of my buying him: my dumb cousin bit off one of his hands! I kept him for years afterward, but the missing hand always bugged me.
            Grandma Ramsey died earlier this year. She was my last living grandparent, and the one I miss the most. Somehow tracking down this goofy ol' Frankenstein jiggler reminds me of those years when she'd humor me by pretending to be scared of my rubber monsters. It's kinda like having a little moment frozen in time, when I was young and had grandparents who loved me and humored my affection for monsters.
            George
            I've always loved that cyclops
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I love the painstaking care the factory took in painting that Jiggler, what craftmanship! Actually it pretty much sums up why I like that sort of thing.

Great story and toy George, I think all of us can relate to that.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Great pick ups George, nice Frankenstein story
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I saw this on Ebay and bid out of curiosity, it's HUGE and the headsculpt is amazing, looks just like a Mike Sekowsky drawing.

Comment

• Orion
                    Museum Night Watchman
                    • Mar 11, 2008

That is a very cool looking Joker. Is it just a toy or is it actually a stapler? Only reason I ask is I saw the words "Zap, Staple, Pow." And "staple" seemed a little odd.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

It's from a desk set, you're supposed to put a stapler underneath it but that was missing. I assumed it was tiny but it's gigantic.

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/images/jokerstapler.jpg

I saw this on Ebay and bid out of curiosity, it's HUGE and the headsculpt is amazing, looks just like a Mike Sekowsky drawing.
                        that's so cool, one of the best Jokers ever

Comment

• MegoSteve
                          Superman's Pal
                          • Jun 17, 2005

Got these on eBay a week or two ago:

I don't think they're super-valuable or anything, but I haven't seen them come up for sale in the original package very often.

Comment

• toys2cool
                            Ultimate Mego Warrior
                            • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                            Got these on eBay a week or two ago:

I don't think they're super-valuable or anything, but I haven't seen them come up for sale in the original package very often.
                            cool, I've never seen those

Comment

• Sowth
                              Career Member
                              • Mar 14, 2006

Love the updates!

That Joker stapler is crazy, the catalog picture really manages to undersell the scale doesn't it?

Steve those Supers are fantastic! Chemtoy is an underated toy company IMO, they were responsible for the Groovie Ghoulies PVCs (see my Avatar) amongst other things.

Cheers,
                              Will
                              Last edited by Sowth; Nov 17, '09, 8:49 AM.
                              Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

• MegoSteve
                                Superman's Pal
                                • Jun 17, 2005

I love that they reused the same card art for their Superman items. I have a pair of scissors on the exact same Superman card.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎