• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobub
    Ghost of a Dead Indian
    • Jun 18, 2001

Zee Toys Metal Man

This brings back Christmas Memories.
    I had this set under the tree around 1976.
    Seems a little high but it is mint in the original mailer box from JC Penney.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZEE-TOYS-ZYLMEX-...em260322673699

All that survived my original set was a yellowing ship and an astronaut head.

I did manage to get another NASA ship (in excellent condition) and two astronauts to suffice my memory.

Questions though:
    Is there anyone out there who has an extra astronaut body with no head? I'd love to get one and add the head I have.

Plus, I need a top clear plastic piece to the NASA ship. Is that a hopeless venture?

Also, is there any way to get the yellowed plastic back to white on the NASA ship?
    Last edited by hobub; Feb 19, '09, 7:05 AM.
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I loved these when I was a kid. I found the metal bodies appealing (one of the reasons the Glider is my fav micronaut).

I had forgotten about them until someone here mentioned them a few years back. I wouldn't mind getting that spaceship again.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I try to get the ships and some of the bigger sets when they pop up but there is a hardcore contingent who always pants me on this stuff. I have precious little Metal Man stuff.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

That's a sweet set
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Drain
          megos are yummy
          • Jun 10, 2007

I still have my Corporal Chrome with raft, paddle and bundle of TNT accs.. I agree with brian about the hard core base of collector that drives the prices up. I'va been lucky to find a couple of them are a good price. The seller didn't know what they were and listed them as Metal Soldier or Metal Robot.
          Mego Nudists Fish Nude Show Off your Rod.

Comment

• hobub
            Ghost of a Dead Indian
            • Jun 18, 2001

That's how I got the NASA ship and the two astronauts. It wasn't ebay though, just local /Western PA collectible shops and they didn't know what they were. The replacement ship I acquired is nice. My original looks like it took a rough re-entry to Earth's atmosphere. I'd still like to restore it though. The plastic has yellowed and it needs new clear dome.
            Last edited by hobub; Feb 20, '09, 9:56 AM.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
              MeGoing
              • May 14, 2003

I think they are awesome.

Comment

• geotroid
                Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
                • Mar 23, 2006

Yep, that JC Penney set over in the UK has been on eBay for a while now. Those sets go high, but not THAT high ;-)

The seller is above the stratosphere with that price. In my observations, Sears & JC Penney Metal Man sets have commanded between $125 - $200. And those auctions had toys & the brown shipping boxes in WAY better condition.

While I never received any MM for Christmas, I agree with your sentiment, Hobub. I always felt they were a very cool, coveted non-mainstream toy back in the late 70's. I was amazed to learn about the Microman Gakeen and Super Joe Shield connections later on.

I could never find Metal Man toys in our small town stores, but a trip to the big city in 1982 yielded a Metal Man spinner rack at a Kay-Bee toy store chock full of MOC figures. I only bought a Questar with a wing pack, and I have serious buyer's regret for not snatching every figure there. AND the spinner rack!

Yes again, there is a very tight and competitive contingent of Metal Man bidders on eBay who watch for the rare stuff. Sets with multiple pieces (medic/stretcher set, raft set), vehicles, and catalogue sets always fetch a premium.

I'm a bottom-feeder myself who usually doesn't go over-board with bidding. I'm just happy to get them on the cheap whenever I can.

Finding them on eBay is an adventure because of the plethora of incorrect spelling variations. And that's *IF* the seller knows what they are! Like Drain indicated, you'll infrequently find them listed as "Metal Robot" or soldier, figure, etc.

I actually found an undocumented Metal Man figure (!) in its package and two samples of an undocumented alternate color variation for another. They're now in the collection of a friend because my own collection is too humble to have something that cool ;-)

I'll let him know about this thread. Maybe he'll jump in & join and share some amazing pics of his Metal Man stuff.

Lastly, Hobub:

1. I might have a headless Astronaut figure. I'll check.
                2. Finding a loose NASA canopy is pretty hopeless ;-) I'd love to find somebody who could maybe cast one in clear resin someday. I'd cough up the sample. BTW, they're almost always missing one of the plastic hinge "nubs" that secure them in place. Same with the UFO saucers.
                3. I don't think you can turn the yellow back to white. You'll notice that the darkest yellowing occurs between the fuselage seams and is actually caused by the glue used to bond the two halve together. Some folks have mentioned using denture cleaner on white Force Commanders with limited success, although I've never tried it myself.

-geotroid
                Chris Farley: "Mother of Mercy, I don't speak Japanese!!!"

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

I remembered when a friend of mine turned me onto these. I think we were about 5 years old. It seems that I got most of mine at Kay-Bee Toys.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• hobub
                    Ghost of a Dead Indian
                    • Jun 18, 2001

Thanks for your comments geotroid! Please let me know about the headless astronaut. If that canopy can be reproed, that would be excellent. I figured that it would pretty much be a long shot. But sad as it is (looking like wreckage from the POTA and all), I still cannot bring myself to dispose of it. It does look as though it could be restored with a lot of tlc.

Len
                    Last edited by hobub; Feb 21, '09, 3:44 AM.

Comment

• Drain
                      megos are yummy
                      • Jun 10, 2007

A lot of the hardcore collecter do buy them as upgrades to their collection because of Metal Men are prone to paint lose/chips.
                      Mego Nudists Fish Nude Show Off your Rod.

Comment

• geotroid
                        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
                        • Mar 23, 2006

Oh, yeah. I've acquired an army of blue Radon figures and very, very few of them have what I'd call "minimal" chipping. Orange torso Rotons are pretty hard to find loose with no chipping, too.

Still haven't gone through my MM stuff yet - hopefully sometime this week.

-geotroid
                        Last edited by geotroid; May 2, '09, 9:56 PM.
                        Chris Farley: "Mother of Mercy, I don't speak Japanese!!!"

Comment

• starbeanie
                          • Feb 21, 2009

Geotroid asked me to post some pics of my collection. He has been quite helpful in helping me track down pieces.
                          Still missing a few carded variations, boxed NASA ship, boxed/loose Police Helicopter, boxed JC Penny set, a loose grenade belt,
                          loose gray phaser, loose gray laser rifle, loose Mercury visor, loose or boxed Rescueman (mine has a broken arm ).

Small cards came first(just Radon,Silver,Chrome,Mercury available), then large cards, then the generic cards with the large triangle in the middle.

Radon

Sergeant Silver
                          Bears a disturbing resemblance to the police in THX 1138. The Sergeant Silver on the right has a different body mold and paint scheme.
                          He is pictured in one of the later Zee Toys catalogs. I've only seen him boxed not carded. He also has a separately attached plastic holster

Corporal Chrome
                          The Corporal Chrome on the right has a separately attached plastic holster, instead of the typical molded on metal holster.
                          I've only seen this version boxed.

Major Mercury
                          Note the early version of Major Mercury has White boots

Questar(gold body) and Roton(orange body)
                          Questar and Roton's bodies are copies of Microman Gakeen. Roton's head is scaled down from the 8" Super Joe's "The Shield".
                          Questar's head is double sided with the back being different.
                          The black bodied Questar was found in Italy. Never seen a packaged one but the paint job is definitely factory applied.

Foreign
                          Foreign versions including an Italian Questar and a German carded Questar. The boxed ones also vary in advertising on the back, from photo's to a printed list.
                          The yellow/blue figure is Rescueman, he has the body mold of the unreleased Captain Hackett.

Gift Sets
                          First Sears set. The tissue paper is original. Note the oval name stickers on them.

Second Sears set

Bret

Comment

• vulcan2074
                            Live Long and Prosper
                            • Mar 23, 2008

Wow! I Never seen these Figures Before. There Awesome. You have a Great Collection. Also Welcome to The Museum
                            Sammy

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

I'll say! That's the best looking Metal Man collection that I've seen, as well!

Welcome!

- Ian
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎