Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else seen Star Wars in theatre in 1977 ? --- and how many times did you see it ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by darklord1967
    Good one!!

Say Hud, I'm not sure if you ever noticed an interesting aspect of that hangar re-union scene:

See, originally, when Red Leader stops over and chats with Luke and Biggs the dialogue was much more extensive.
    Anyhow that chunk of dialogue (in the middle of the scene) was edited out. The trouble was, that entire scene was played out in a single master shot, so making the edit was no easy task without creating a jump cut. There were no close-ups to cut to.

The solution: They filmed a Rebel Technician walking through the shot, and used him as a "digital wipe" to bridge the beginning and tail end dialogue of that scene... while effectively cutting out Red Leader's dialogue in the middle!

There is one bit of telltale evidence to all this: Watch R2-D2 (on the right of the frame) being loaded into Luke's X-Wing. When the digitally inserted "technician" passes through the frame, R2's previous position suddenly jumps.
    That honestly is incredible insight/trivia----but, again, your eye
    is insanely sharp and discerning!

See, I just studied that part---and I saw what you were talking
    about with R2---but it was SO slight----that I would never
    have considered it a "glitch" without it all being explained to me.

Cool info though (and I hope you caught all my answers to your previous
    questions in my post before the Clinton joke post!)
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
      I apologize for saying that the new trilogy was garbage.

How about putrid sulfuric acid instead?

They made a new trilogy?

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Please God...NO!!!

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by darklord1967
          Sigh... What am I gonna do with you Hector?
          sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

I was really into this thread. Liked all the comments.
            Then someone said the song Jedi Rocks was a cool song.

Then I went to sit in a corner, sobbing and giggling alternatively.
            It's a crazy world.....
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

I was in 7th grade when Star Wars came out and I didn't see the movie initially due to a critics review that has since been REVISED. I'll never forget waking up the first Saturday morning after the film came out and watching Seiskal and Ebert review the film... they HATED IT! I can remember it like it was yesterday. Ebert thought the film was silly and completely missed the mark in originality. He said it was mostly FORGETTABLE and would quickly exit the theaters. That's the God's honest truth folks. I had seen the trailers and I wasn't sure what to think because I had never seen anything like it. My parents had asked if I wanted to go see it and I passed initially because of that review. When word of mouth got around, it was a packed house at the few theaters that were showing it and it took me a couple of weeks before I could get in to see it. Of course Seikal and Ebert soon feel into line and changed their review. A good lesson to remember too about critics. 1) Don't ever listen to them; 2) Don't think they won't change their reviews to jump on a bandwagon. I especially laugh when I see one of Ebert's many books rating the "best" and "worst" films of all time. I just snicker to myself and think, "hypocrite". I do have a piece of historical immortality from "Empire" though. Me and my buddy got interviewed by our local newspaper when we walked out of the theater during that first weekend and our review was printed in the weekend edition the following weekend. An original copy resides in my collector room.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

It's not so much that I think Jedi Rocks was a great song ......
                Actually, I think it's a bit annoying ......

The point is, Lucas removed (by taking out JR) a HUGE part of the entire trilogy and replacing it.
                Tinkering with the inside of the movie is bad enough, but removing JR effectively changed the feel of the entire movie series.

The star was trilogy (especially Jedi) was geered toward a younger audience.
                It did it's job by becoming the legend it is today.

Now, suddenly the juvenile Jedi Rocks is no longer acceptable because all the younger fans have grown up --- or the new audience of youngsters are more sophisticated.

Regardless, JR was fine for the last 20+ years ......
                It did it's job.
                Today it's not good enough

What else wont be good enough the next time the trilogy comes under the knife ?

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk
                  The star was trilogy (especially Jedi) was geered toward a younger audience.
                  It did it's job by becoming the legend it is today.

Now, suddenly the juvenile Jedi Rocks is no longer acceptable because all the younger fans have grown up --- or the new audience of youngsters are more sophisticated.

Regardless, JR was fine for the last 20+ years ......
                  It did it's job.
                  Today it's not good enough

What else wont be good enough the next time the trilogy comes under the knife ?
                  Well, considering that's not the reason Lucas removed
                  the song...I can't really think your post is making any kind
                  of cohesive argument.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

We're talking about the Ewok song at the end, right ?

I have no idea what these songs are called.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk
                      We're talking about the Ewok song at the end, right ?

I have no idea what these songs are called.
                      Yeah--I don't really know the exact names of these SW songs either
                      ---but---yeah--that's the one we're discussing.

My point is...how you came to the conclusion that the song was removed
                      because Lucas found it more juvenile doesn't sound remotely accurate.

The song---I believe---was changed---primarily----because the
                      "new footage" was this grand universe-wide celebration stuff
                      and not some rinky-dink Ewok/Rebel force Endor party stuff.

The music had to be changed to reflect that.

Personally---I would've wanted both songs---the "Ewok party" first and
                      THEN melding into the universe-wide celebration---
                      with the music reflecting that
                      but---I guess that would've been too drawn out.

Comment

• Goblin19
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 2, 2002

I think I saw it in 77, but I was very little at the time. I may not have seen it until 78.

Comment

• Vortigern99
                          Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                          • Jul 2, 2006

The Ewok music at the end of the original version of Return of the Jedi was called the "Yub-Nub Song" (for the Ewokese lyrics).

The music that replaced it is called "Celebration".

The song that Jabba's band plays in the original version is called "Lapti Nek".

The song that replaced it is called "Jedi Rocks".

Hope that helps.

Comment

• darklord1967
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by huedell
                            Yeah--I don't really know the exact names of these SW songs either
                            ---but---yeah--that's the one we're discussing.
                            Just so we're clear:

The new song performed by Jabba The Hutt's palace band is titled "Jedi Rocks". That musical number replaces the original Palace song "Lapti Nek".

Love both songs, and wish they would have kept them both.

Now, the music at the end of Return of the Jedi Special Edition is called "Victory Celebration / End Credits". That music replaces the original music called "Ewok Celebration / End Credits".

Never really cared for the "yub-yub" Ewok Celebration song, but LOVE the replacement "Victory Celebration" music.

EDIT: Whoops! Looks like Vort beat me to the clarification of musical identification.

Originally posted by huedell
                            Personally---I would've wanted both songs---the "Ewok party" first and THEN melding into the universe-wide celebration---
                            with the music reflecting that but---I guess that would've been too drawn out.
                            Well... they did come up with a happy medium, I think: When the celebration begins (In the Ewok Village) the NEW music is actually rhythmically synched-up to the footage of Ewoks banging on their drums and the trophy Imperial helmets.

It's almost like the JOY and HOPE of the Rebel and Ewok victory party originates from Endor and spreads quickly throughout the entire galaxy.
                            I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• Vortigern99
                              Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                              • Jul 2, 2006

Yes, I think the new Celebration music packs a much more emotional punch, and adds a galactic scope missing from the provincial and silly "Yub Nub Song". As a drummer, I find the rhythm is quite pronounced in the new music, and I'm surprised to read that someone finds it arhythmic. The new version even corrects the sloppy helmet-percussion of the original version, which was not on-beat and looked and sounded absurd. Overall, I think the Celebration music is a much more fitting end to the Saga, or even to the Original Trilogy, than the Ewok Music.

Comment

• saildog
                                Permanent Member
                                • Apr 9, 2006

This is my favorite version.

YouTube - CRACKERJACK JUNCTION sings THE EWOK CELEBRATION SONG

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎