Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else seen Star Wars in theatre in 1977 ? --- and how many times did you see it ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
    Apes don't fly X-wings

The other thing that I will remember was my friend telling me that they changed the movie from when he saw it in '77 and they cut an entire scene from the beginning of the movie about how Luke and Biggs were shown to be childhood friends and Luke saw the ship battle with his binoculars. I've since seen that scene on youtube, but usually I hear it referenced as un-used footage that was never released. They must have released it somewhere in Maryland in 1977
    This scene was NEVER shown in a theatre. It was in the book The Story of StarWars Including a picture from it. it was in the Novel. I think it was in the comic also.

Comment

• Type3Toys
      Home Of The Type3 Body
      • Jan 18, 2005

Yup, I was 13 and we sat through it twice. Never saw it again and I have never seen any of the other ones which followed.
      LOOK
      Action Figure Design & Prototypes
      For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
      To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Out of the 7 times I seen it new in the theatre, one of the times I seen it with my brother and his wife.

After the movie was over, she said "that movie sucked !!!"

I had to smile ....
        After hearing only great reviews about Star Wars, it was nice to hear at least one person in the world didn't like it.

Comment

• Marvelmania
          A Ray of Sunshine
          • Jun 17, 2001

Saw it like 6-7 times and loved it as a kid. When I got a little older I never really liked it or the other Star Wars movies that much. Haven't even seen the last 2.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
            Removed.
            • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by darklord1967
            Now, claims of STAR WARS' original 1977 crawl NOT including the "Episode IV: A NEW HOPE" headline are absolutely TRUE. The new Episode headline title was not added until the film's 1978 re-release.
            Now I did not realize that they added that crap so early on. It still irks me to this day that the original SW is Episode IV now!
            Rich

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

It still irks me to this day that the original SW is Episode IV now!

Me too.

Our generation will always call THAT MOVIE "Star Wars", which it was/is.

It bugs me when people keep refering the Phantom as "the first Star Wars movie"

In the same vain, it would be like saying the first Star Trek TV series was Enterprise.

It's like -- shut up

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally Posted by darklord1967 View Post
                Now, claims of STAR WARS' original 1977 crawl NOT including the "Episode IV: A NEW HOPE" headline are absolutely TRUE. The new Episode headline title was not added until the film's 1978 re-release.
                Now I did not realize that they added that crap so early on. It still irks me to this day that the original SW is Episode IV now!
                Rich
                True (though I am not sure that the Episode IV was added in 78. not until it's pre empire release in 1980) and I totally agree with you Rich.
                I have a DVD that was created -i believe- from the original laser disc version and it has no episode iv in the scrwal. it also has no fake jabba, no han shoots first , no nonsense - just a perfect picture the way I saw it in 77.

Empire was a great movie (albeit a cliff hanger) though it already started down the path of destruction of the franchise -(spoiler alert) Darth is Lukes Dad????

I'm fine with Empire and Return SE and re releases becasue that were done better and weren't pure to start with. Changing star wars is akin to alter sacred texts.

And if Star Wars is episode 4 does that mean that they will eventually make episodes 1, 2 and 3?

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Brue
                  And if Star Wars is episode 4 does that mean that they will eventually make episodes 1, 2 and 3?
                  Greatest. Purist. Line. Ever.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                    Removed.
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by Brue
                    You know? I remember when I was a kid that there was supposed to be 12 Star Wars movies total. Then that got reduced to 9. Now do we just get the 6? Why can't they make 7, 8 & 9 set 30 years later with Luke, Leia, Han & Chewie and the droids? Gotta be more stories they can tell?

Rich

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                      Why can't they make 7, 8 & 9 set 30 years later with Luke, Leia, Han & Chewie and the droids? Gotta be more stories they can tell?
                      I don't care what Lucas says. (I don't entirely trust his---"there's gonna
                      be no more movies" bit)

I don't care what the purists say.

I don't care what ANY fan or enemy of the franchise has to say.

If they don't make an EPISODE SEVEN with at least CAMEOS
                      of FORD, FISHER and HAMILL----I'm gonna be real angry.
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by type1kirk
                        It still irks me to this day that the original SW is Episode IV now!

Me too.

Our generation will always call THAT MOVIE "Star Wars", which it was/is.

It bugs me when people keep refering the Phantom as "the first Star Wars movie"

In the same vain, it would be like saying the first Star Trek TV series was Enterprise.

It's like -- shut up
                        Or now when they call it "A New Hope". WRONG! It's STAR WARS!! I didn't wanna see the "special edition" when I saw that scene w/ Han Solo talking to Jabba (SPOILER). the CGI Jabba was the same height as Han. In ROTJ, Jabba was HUGE!! I knew then it wasn't going to be as good as the original.
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                          Or now when they call it "A New Hope". WRONG! It's STAR WARS!! .
                          Calling it "A New Hope" (or more coldly "Episode 4") is for all intents
                          and purposes necessary in many discussions of the movies as it
                          helps easily differentiate it from the 5 (or 6) other movies.

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                          I didn't wanna see the "special edition" when I saw that scene w/ Han Solo talking to Jabba (SPOILER). the CGI Jabba was the same height as Han. In ROTJ, Jabba was HUGE!! I knew then it wasn't going to be as good as the original.
                          Personally I loved the special editions---each and every addition---
                          EVERYTHING except the "Greedo shooting first" thing---that just totally
                          changes the Han character introduction and I don't like it.

Interestingly Lucas changed Jabba from his first SE appearance for
                          subsequent releases of the SE movie---he's not that much bigger
                          but he looks a lot more like the Jabba from ROTJ than the
                          first SE take on him.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 1, 2005

I did see it in the theater, I was four years old. I believe I saw it that year at least twice. Obviously my memory isn't too clear due to my young age but I can think of two times for sure that I saw it. I know I went to see it several more times but that was during re-releases later in 1978 and so on.

My mom likes to tell the story of when we first saw the film in '77, every time I saw Luke running to do something or other I would quietly ask, "What's Star Wars gonna do now mom?" Apparently I thought Luke's name was "Star Wars", LOL. I was 4, what can I say?

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              Alan Scott is the best GL
                              • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by huedell
                              Calling it "A New Hope" (or more coldly "Episode 4") is for all intents
                              and purposes necessary in many discussions of the movies as it
                              helps easily differentiate it from the 5 (or 6) other movies.

Personally I loved the special editions---each and every addition---
                              EVERYTHING except the "Greedo shooting first" thing---that just totally
                              changes the Han character introduction and I don't like it.

Interestingly Lucas changed Jabba from his first SE appearance for
                              subsequent releases of the SE movie---he's not that much bigger
                              but he looks a lot more like the Jabba from ROTJ than the
                              first SE take on him.
                              Alot of the SE material was tweaked in the DVD release from it's original 98 release (I have the SE on laserdisc and the dvd version) some big (ie Temoa Morrison replacing the voice of Jeremy Bulloch) to smaller like Jabba's improved rendering. I could forgive Jabba's size (maybe he just gets fatter over the next 6 years before ROTJ) I agree I Like a Han SOlo who is enough a rogue to never give Greedo a chance

Comment

• BlackKnight
                                The DarkSide Customizer
                                • Apr 16, 2005

I was 2 in 77. So,.. no... never scene it in theaters..
                                In the 90's or whatever,.. when they re-released them in theaters with the extended footage,.. I did see it in theaters..
                                I think the Only OSWT I saw in theaters was Jedi.
                                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎