Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else seen Star Wars in theatre in 1977 ? --- and how many times did you see it ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I mentioned this before on the Museum, but i'll say it again incase any newer people are reading ...

When I first seen Star Wars in the theatre in '77 on opening day, after they sold out for the first show - they had "standing room only".

We all got seats because we came early, but the theatre actually charged people coming in late HALF PRICE to sit on the floor in the isles.
    Can you believe that ?

That would NEVER happen today.
    It's gotta be illegal nowadays.

The entire theatre was one big sea of people.
    If you had to go to the bathroom, FORGET IT.

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

I saw it in '77 when I was 13. I only saw it once in the theatre.

I remember going to see Empire and being ticked it ended in a cliff hanger.
      Last edited by ScottA; Feb 11, '09, 5:16 PM.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by type1kirk
        Question -1
        Did you see Star Wars back in 1977 in the theatre ?

Question - 2
        How old were you ?

Question - 3
        How many times did you see it in the theatre back in '77 ?

m
        -------------------------------------------------------
        My answers .......
        1. -- I never saw it on the big screen. If it does show up on the big screen here I would like to check it out. I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies from beginning to end.
        2. -- 11
        3. -- Not applicable
        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah I saw it in late '77 or early '78. Can't remember which. I was 7 or 8 at the time and sadly I spent most of the time in the bathroom. I did that with most movies anyways. I just couldn't sit through any movie without doing so.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

I recall my one year younger cousin going on and on about this Star Wars movie I had to see. That it was the coolest thing ever and he just could not believe I didn't know anything about it. This is probably in June of '77 or so.

All I could think of when I heard the name 'Star Wars' was the things they did on tv all the time at the time. The 'Battle of the Network Stars'. And I thought - why the hell would anyone want to make a movie about that and for what reason would my normally sensible cousin think I needed to sit through an hour and a half of that kind of nonsense. I suppose I thought there must be some good Farrah bathing suit scene or something, but I reallly didn't figure it out.

Summer vacation time, and my folks went to the Bahamas. My set of spinster
            Great Aunts came down to take care of myself and my older sister. The Aunties are in there 60s, we are not. We spent quite a bit of time going to movies so the old birds could sit a bit and not have to chase us around. They looked up what was good to take kids to and all the news said 'Star Wars'. I recall thinking - oh.. great... and hoping for some good swimsuits. This is late July or early August.

Theater gets dark, the word scroll comes up. I am still thinking OK what kind of TELEVISION style nonsense is this going to be. When the engines of the star destroyer finally came into view, I think my jaw hit the floor and stayed there for the remainder of the movie. I emerged; changed forever.

I saw it again for my birthday that year. No more in '77, but several times in the rereleases before the sequels.

have a good time
            rche

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by jds1911a1
              I saw it in the 78 oscars release (does that count LOL)

Certainly anything before the Christmas 1980 pre empire release is Star Wars in it's own right. Even seeing an Empire or Returns release is still "back in teh day"

SE releases are a whole new deal.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                OH JES!!
                • Jul 21, 2005

I was 12 and saw it twice in one sitting! ah the good old days when they wouldn't throw you out of the theaters

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I saw it at the drivein when I was five in '77. Fell asleep in the back of the car just before the final death star battle. I probably did not see it again until the first re-release
                  saw Empire quite a few times in theaters and Jedi as well. I remember being 11 and waiting in line on opening night for Jedi.

Comment

• saildog
                    Permanent Member
                    • Apr 9, 2006

I had to put pencil to paper and do a time line of known events to determine when I first saw Star Wars. I know I read the novelization in 4th Grade and had read the Marvel Treasury Comic before I saw the movie and I got a TIE Fighter for my 10th Birthday after I saw the movie. That means the first time I saw Star Wars would have been Summer of 1978 when I was between 4th and 5th Grades.

I saw it two more times in the Fall of 1979. (I remember that because I had to wait for Airport 1979 to finish its run before the local theater re-ran Star Wars).

I got to see Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi pretty close to Opening Day.

Comment

• Adam West
                      Museum CPA
                      • Apr 14, 2003

I did see it in '77 and would have been 8 years old. My friend had a birthday party and we all saw it as part of the party.

I only saw it one time in the theaters. I think my parents would have thought it would have been a waste of money to see it multiple times.

I never did see Empire in the theaters but don't remember why.

I also saw Jedi in the theaters but unintentionally. That movie came out in '83 and I would have been about 14 at the time. My friend and I decided we were going to get into a Rated R movie (don't remember which one). We decidedly we would just boldly walk up to the counter and ask for two tickets to the movie. The ticket person asked to see ID's and we said we didn't have them on us. No ID's...no movie. So we opted to see Jedi rather than call the day a bust. Glad I saw it on the big screen and probably better than the movie we were planning to see anyway.
                      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Adam West
                        ... Glad I saw it on the big screen and probably better than the movie we were planning to see anyway.
                        "NAKED LUNCH??? False advertising!"
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• johnnystorm
                          Hot Child in the City
                          • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by huedell
                          That was one of the best STAR WARS-related posts I've ever read johnnys.

AND I could almost use that: "She was appalled when they cut the Tauntaun
                          open for warmth and made us leave." as a sig if I wasn't so attached to
                          showing of muy SUPERMAN III appreciation.
                          I'm glad my mis-adventure brought you joy..it would be a good tag line if it didn't bring up so much adolescent angst!

It was quite disappointing back then...not only did I not get to see the movie, there was no comfort to be had after leaving either.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by type1kirk
                            Question -1
                            Did you see Star Wars back in 1977 in the theatre ?

Question - 2
                            How old were you ?

Question - 3
                            How many times did you see it in the theatre back in '77 ?
                            1. No....I caught it on the re-release in '78. I was some what out of the loop when kids were talking about when we went back to school in Sept of '77

2. I was 11 ('78)

3. I only saw movies once back when I was a kid....wasn't 'til I was actually paying for my own tickets that I'd see movies 2-3 times (winning a LOT of radio contests for movie passes back in the late 80s-early 90s was helpful too)
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• txteach
                              Banned
                              • Jun 17, 2005

I saw it in the theatre in Dec 77.

I was 10 years old.

I must have seen it 10 times in the theatre and 3 times at the drive in.

Comment

• Hotfoot
                                Dazed and Confused
                                • Dec 30, 2007

I saw it opening week.
                                I was 17
                                Went back 5 times that summer
                                Too many toys. Not enough space!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰