X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

Custom Parts Buying Tips From Museum Members

John Farley suggested this based on the current issues some have had. He suggested we put together some tips for buying and stick them at the top of the forum in an attempt to help those new to the game, and help prevent future problems. I thought it was a good idea, we all have suggestions that can help, so here are the ones John started...

Tips For Safe Custom Commerce:
    While nothing is fool proof,
    Here are a few common sense ideas to help a transaction go safely and smoothly.

1. Research the seller by asking questions here
    before you buy.
    2. Insist on delivery confirmation

Please post your suggestions and we'll make a master list of all the serious and well thought out tips.

I'll add one..

As about delivery timelines up front.
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

I suggest paying with PayPal if at all possible...in case you do need to make a claim it's probably easier (quicker) than it would be with a money order.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
      Formerly known as Del
      • Dec 12, 2004

If they have an eBay id, check out their feedback as a seller there too.
      If the seller doesn't have a website, as to see additional samples of their work. I know this sounds dumb, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about items showing up and being poorly made.
      Ask if the seller allows some kind of partial payment, such as a deposit, with the rest being transferred to them once the buyer has a picture of completed work. This mainly applies to full customs and larger pieces.
      Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
      https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
      http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
        Stuck in a laundry shoot.
        • Oct 8, 2007

I guess these are mine in no particular order of importance. Hope they are useful.

1.) When people post a custom on the forum they often list the various parts they used and who they got it from. If you like what you see, it will point you in the right direction for parts. Contact the seller and find out their turn around time.

2.) There are many styles of heads out there for a particular figure, if one person doesn't have it, another one might, so always shop around and see who has what you want. You may be inspired by something you hadn't thought of before.

3.) I usually make a list of the parts I need for 2 or 3 figures I want to work on. Then I find out who sells what and how I can best order those parts to take advantage of shipping costs. It's cheaper to order a few heads or accessories all at once from a store.

4.)Ask questions and read the fine print. Are you buying a pre-ordered item that isn't in stock yet?? They are often delayed for reasons the seller can't control, so don't be PO'd when it doesn't arrive right away.
        "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

Never spend more than you can afford to loose in case a deal goes south.
          I keep it a $20-$40.

Never place a another order until you receive your first one.
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ And make sure he is not just here posting to sell. A little involvement in the rest of the board goes a long way.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

If you are not happy with the product, complain to the seller... If you do not get any satisfaction from him, let the community know.
              Even if he's a "great guy" people still need to be told and warned.

Comment

• D-McMEGO
                • Oct 30, 2008

I suggest paying with PayPal if at all possible...in case you do need to make a claim it\'s probably easier (quicker) than it would be with a money order.
                make sure the seller is an active poster on the megomuseum. An active presence on this site shows the person is still available, has tie to this community and thus a vested interest in keeping it that way. It also makes it possible for YOU THE BUYER, to have questions about the sellers products and personal character answered here.

While these are GREAT tips,I\'ve ordered from a couple of Customizers NOT here on the Forum and they\'ve been Great as far as service ,communication and timely deliveries!
                There are a few that aren\'t members yet do great work ,Remember it wasn\'t til recently that Mr Lietner (sp) joined as a member here and he has FANTASTIC suits !
                Just something to keep in mind .

Comment

• megocrazy
                  Museum Trouble Maker
                  • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Type3Toys
                  As a buyer...
                  1. make sure the seller is an active poster on the megomuseum.
                  This is something I wish could be controlled. The marketplace should be limited to members that have been here for a stated amount of time. Many show up and sell stuff then disappear entirely. They're using it like a free ebay without ever contributing to the actual purpose of the site, which is being a contributing member of the community.
                  It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by megocrazy
                    This is something I wish could be controlled. The marketplace should be limited to members that have been here for a stated amount of time. Many show up and sell stuff then disappear entirely. They're using it like a free ebay without ever contributing to the actual purpose of the site, which is being a contributing member of the community.
                    I get what you are saying,... But last yr when May19Whatever.., Showed up with 10 RC Batman's all Orgional, & Sold me one for 100 Bucks,.. That was one of My coolest Moments here,.. & is Now one of my most Prized Figures in my collection.

BTW..., He also sold me a Type1 All Origional Robin Minty, Mint for 30 Bucks...

It was like Christmas for me,... & The Man sold a Ton of Fantastic Stuff here, to alot of other Folks too.
                    Last edited by BlackKnight; Feb 10, '09, 4:27 PM.
                    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• GUYx1
                      FORMER MEGO COLLECTOR
                      • Apr 20, 2005

When it comes to customizing, never keep all your eggs in one basket.
                      Order small and have a backup plan.
                      Sooner or later, the Custom seller is going to have so much work that the gears break down. The best thing to do is think of the person doing the work and order responsibly.
                      That way if something tragic were to happen, you are only out $20 and we don't have any Suicidal Resin pourers out there who got in way over their head.
                      Last edited by GUYx1; Feb 11, '09, 6:51 PM.
                      Cheers,
                      Guyx1

Comment

• stuart
                        Hi-Yo Silver Away!
                        • Jun 18, 2007

The thing that has been most helpful to me is just reading the forums. If a seller is or has been an issue, it doesn't take long to show up in the threads. The community here is great. I am proud to be a part of it.

Comment

• saildog
                          Permanent Member
                          • Apr 9, 2006

I've been very happy with all of my transactions and I think the formula has been reading the forums and if there is any question about "Provider-A's" Service, quietly PM someone who has had previous dealings and politely inquire about their experience.

The Custom Forum is full of posts where someone has put together something awesome and they cite "head by (fill in the blank), suit by (fill in the blank), accessories from (fill in the blank), and box by (fill in the blank). Read enough of those and see the results and a pattern will emerge as to who does awesome work and provides reliable service.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                            One eyed, wonder
                            • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by stuart
                            The thing that has been most helpful to me is just reading the forums. If a seller is or has been an issue, it doesn't take long to show up in the threads. The community here is great. I am proud to be a part of it.
                            Thank you. This forum provides great ways to hook up with talented people. This community has shown great effort to allow someone the chance to build (good or bad) their own reputation.
                            Last edited by dr_cyclops; Sep 13, '12, 9:57 AM.

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

If you interested in a Custom Figure or head, PM the Customizer personally...you never know if "Big Brother" might be watching.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎