X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supercrazy
    Banned
    • Oct 3, 2006

Scarcity check on Mailer Box Robin

I have a Robin Mint in Mailer Box. Now the same type of Robin can be seen in Ben's book on page 39 in the middle. What I was wondering is how rare is this and is there any type of production numbers on these.
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

If anyone knows it would be Ben, so hopefully he can help. He seems to have more knowledge of mailer boxed WGSH than anyone else. He's the one that told me my mailer box JC Penny's Falcon is the only one known to exist. I had no idea.

Comment

• supercrazy
      Banned
      • Oct 3, 2006

Hopefully he can also tell us how many of those aquaman's that are in the mailer boxes from JC Penney that were really for dorothy and tinman there are. I have one but wasn't sure if it was legit until I read the book that a stockpile of them were found. Not sure either if there is any value to these.

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

In my experience, a mint mailer boxed figure, one that's still sealed in the baggie, generally sells for the same as a dead mint loose figure (which usually goes for a good premium over a normal loose complete figure), plus maybe around 20-30% more? (this can obviously vary, depending on which way the wind is blowing on ebay that day). Not nearly as much as a mint regular boxed figure, because the mailer boxes are less graphically interesting, and less people collect them, so less demand. But someone who does collect them will pay that bit extra over a loose figure.

Comment

• supercrazy
          Banned
          • Oct 3, 2006

Ok thanks. That is good to know.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

I for one love the mailer boxes
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by toys2cool
              I for one love the mailer boxes
              Me too. I only have 2 - Robin and Superman. I'd love to get more, especially a T1 Robin.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• imp
                Mego Book Author
                • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by supercrazy
                Hopefully he can also tell us how many of those aquaman's that are in the mailer boxes from JC Penney that were really for dorothy and tinman there are. I have one but wasn't sure if it was legit until I read the book that a stockpile of them were found. Not sure either if there is any value to these.
                The Mailer Boxed JC Penney Falcon = CRAZY RARE (conversely, the Mailer Boxed Generic Mego Falcon = VERY COMMON).

Same goes for the Mailer Boxed Iron Man that recently sold on eBay (under my considerably large "Mailer Box" nose, I might add... I lost my breath when I saw the "completed" auction!). Just INSANELY RARE. I have never heard of either specimen -- in any collection -- ever before.

Rick, RE: the Mailer Box Robin you have, is it a generic brown box with "M51302" printed on it? If so, that particular Mailer Box is (next to the Generic Mego Falcon) the most common of all legitimate Mego Mailer Boxes. The rush of Type 2 Aquaman figures in Wizard of Oz Mailer Boxes in the past few years notwithstanding... I never trusted those WoOz Aquaman figures.

One of these days, I need to start a "Scarcity Index" for Mailer Boxed figures, much like the amazing Dan Crandall did for otherwise-packaged Mego figures. As mentioned earlier by someone else, there isn't a whole lot of interest in Mailer Boxed Mego figures, but I think it would be worth documenting.

-b
                Last edited by imp; Jan 30, '09, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by imp

One of these days, I need to start a "Scarcity Index" for Mailer Boxed figures, much like the amazing Dan Crandall did for otherwise-packaged Mego figures. As mentioned earlier by someone else, there isn't a whole lot of interest in Mailer Boxed Mego figures, but I think it would be worth documenting.

-b
                  I agree that it would be worth documenting, and I for one would be very interested in seeing such an index. Go for it.

How much did that mailer box IM sell for, Ben?
                  Last edited by cjefferys; Jan 30, '09, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• imp
                    Mego Book Author
                    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by cjefferys
                    I agree that it would be worth documenting, and I for one would be very interested in seeing such an index. Go for it.

How much did that mailer box IM sell for, Ben?
                    Guhh! Honestly?! I put the final price out of my mind (simply to avoid going to the loony bin!).

it was crazy cheap. Rob? Mike? Did one of you make a note of the ending price? As I recall, it was only a couple of hundred bucks.

As a hardcore Mailer Box collector, I would think US$1,500.00 for that authentic, Mailer Boxed Iron Man would be very reasonable.

> sigh <

-b

Comment

• imp
                      Mego Book Author
                      • Apr 20, 2003

I'd like to add a very important, factual tidbit to the subject of the Mailer Boxed Iron Man. Some of you may be sitting back, thinking, "Oh, come on. Really? $1,500 for a stupid Mailer Box? Really."

Well, consider this:

By all rights, that Mego package should NOT EXIST.

Yep. That's what I'm talking about. Seriously.

Mego's Iron Man NEVER ONCE appeared in any major U.S./Canada retail Christmas catalog. That list of retailers includes:
                      • SEARS
                      • SEARS TOYS
                      • SEARS CANADA
                      • SIMPSON'S
                      • EATON'S
                      • J.C. PENNEY
                      • ALDENS
                      • SPIEGEL
                      • MONTGOMERY WARD

So, you dig?! If none of those major retailers ever offered Iron Man... why on earth would Mego produce figures in a Mailer Box?!

So you're thinking, "Well, for Heroes World (mail order catalog house), of course!"

I agree with you, but as we have learned in the past year: Heroes World definitely shipped figures in every version of graphical Mego packaging (Boxes, 1st and 2nd Issue Cards).

Does that mean they NEVER shipped figures in Mailer Boxes?

NO.

Is Heroes World the retailer that I, Benjamin Holcomb, believe was the recipient of this one-of-a-kind Mailer Boxed Iron Man specimen?

YES.

Is the Mailer Boxed Iron Man one of the rarest and scarcest of all Mailer Boxed Mego toys ever, in the history of the world?

YES. Emphatically, YES.

-B

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Sorry to open the wound!

Would you pay $1500? Wow, you are hardcore!

Do you know what catalog number appeared on that auction IM box? If so, was it consistent to other Heroes World WGSH mailer boxes?
                        Last edited by cjefferys; Jan 30, '09, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• vulcan2074
                          Live Long and Prosper
                          • Mar 23, 2008

You have Now Succesfully got my Attention on Mailer Boxes. I have a Robin with the mailer Box and I think it's really cool. I would definately like to see a scarcity index. I think that would be fantastic
                          Sammy

Comment

• supercrazy
                            Banned
                            • Oct 3, 2006

You know Ben is correct on the aquamans. It is so easy for someone just to have a mint type 2 aquaman and put him in a Dorothy baggie and mailer box and pose him off as the real thing. I never knew about the aquaman in the mailer box or even if they were real until I read Ben's book. Anyway I still think it looks cool but the value would probably be that of a loose figure. Robin on the other hand would be a little more value than a loose figure but probably not by much. Yes that is the Robin I have. Ben thanks for the help on these and it would be nice to see pics of all the different mailer boxes.I know that about 11 years ago in Toy Shop there was a page and the person was selling a bunch of megos in mailer boxes. The prices at that time were not bad at all.

Comment

• imp
                              Mego Book Author
                              • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by cjefferys
                              Sorry to open the wound!

Would you pay $1500? Wow, you are hardcore!

Do you know what catalog number appeared on that auction IM box? If so, was it consistent to other Heroes World WGSH mailer boxes?
                              Drat. I'm doing a terrible job at differentiating Mailer Boxes. My apologies. There is no such thing as a "Heroes World Mailer Box." In fact, we have no proof that "Heroes World" ever distributed them! Most collectors assume they did, but a recent set of auctions proved that HW definitely distributed graphical Mego packaging!

Back to Mailer Boxes, perhaps this will help: As a collector, here's how I define the two different Mailer Boxes:

Mailer Boxes
                              Plain, brown and printed with black ink, these boxes were available through Major U.S. and Canadian Mail Order houses during the 1970s and early 1980s. These boxes' Item Codes DO NOT match Mego's Item Codes (e.g. J.C. Penney Penguin is "923-0889" in 1975).

"Generic Mego" Mailer Boxes
                              Plain and brown, the Item Code is printed with black ink. These boxes DO NOT have applied stickers. The printed Item Code MATCHES the Mego Item Code for that particular product (e.g. Superman is "1300" or "51300").

Brian Heiler and I share a collection of Christmas catalogs from every Major U.S. and Canadian Catalog House - from every year that Mego produced WGSH - so perhaps he and I should get together and compile the Ultimate Scarcity Index on the subject. Whaddaya say, B?

-b

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎