X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Adventures of Big Red?

I found this odd toyline in a spiegel's 1974 Christmas catalogue recently. I was first caught by his resemblance to Dr. Quest but then I started to recognize the pieces. Big Red is actually better known as "Mr. Action," a G.I. Joe wannabe produced by LJN that we all probably have pieces of in our toyboxes and didn't even know it. I still have that flightsuit.

Pieces from this line appeared in several G.I. Joe catalogue pages and the dolls themselves were sold worldwide, just under many different names and aliases. You can't fool me Big Red if indeed that is your real name......
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

HEY!

I remember that zipline! Always thought it was GI Joe.

About six years ago I saw 12" cheapie figures at the dollar store wearing those army uniforms, so someone's still recycling this line.

Don C.

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

GIJoe had that zipline as well. I've never even heard of Big Red. Was this only available in Canada? I wonder if I could supplement my GIJoe collection w/ this stuff from Ebay? Hmmmmm.....
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• DocDrako
        Formerly Doc Drako
        • Nov 11, 2004

That's weird. I was suddenly reminded of Big Red by this post although I don't know why I remember him. Must be a very early memory for me. But he's obviously in my subconscious. I don't know if that's good or bad.

I'd have played with him. All "dudes" were allowed in our adventures back then no matter where they came from. I'm sure GI Joe would have "owned" him in a fight, though. He must be Ken's older brother that joined the military.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
          Museum Super Collector
          • May 18, 2007

I can honestly say this is the first reference I have seen to Big Red since my childhood. My mom was a big catalog shopper and loved Spiegel. I have a photo from one of my birthday's where I got Big Red and the System Control Headquarters at the bottom. Red was not a red headed variation on Mister Action. He actually had a better head sculpt in my opinion. A lot of the stuff on that page is from the LJN Mister Action line but the jeep was made by Empire or Imperial Toys and the Headquarters is from Multiple Plastics. This catalog page a true piece of G.I. Joe knock off gold!
          - Sweep

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎