Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

If a South-African white person emigrates to the US, is he then an African-American?

If I emigrate to the US, am I then a Belgo-American?
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Ask a Haitian who emigrates to the States how much he enjoys being called African-American.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
        That's idiotic...he's ousted from the award because he happens to be a white Mexican?

Idiots.

Probably because it's not good for promo of the award.

Just being practical.

Looking white would raise too many questions?

Who cares.

This thread is really only about the hot chick pictures....

....and imagining what a White Mexican (drink) would taste like.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
          If a South-African white person emigrates to the US, is he then an African-American?

If I emigrate to the US, am I then a Belgo-American?
          I think it's only if you were born in America but your parents are from somewhere else,Like me.I'm Cuban-American,both my parents were born over there
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Interesting thread! But I'll admit to being be a bit confused...are white Mexicans 100% Mexican...or do they have one Parent that's a W.A.S.P.??
            sigpic

Comment

• megoat
              A Therefore Experience
              • Jun 10, 2003

Originally posted by The Bat
              Interesting thread! But I'll admit to being be a bit confused...are white Mexicans 100% Mexican...or do they have one Parent that's a W.A.S.P.??
              You're confused because you don't understand that "Mexican" is a nationality--NOT a race or ethnicity.

Comment

• Vortigern99
                Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                • Jul 2, 2006

Well, they can be 100% Mexican and still be/look "white". The Spaniards, after all, who colonized Mexico, were a Germanic people before the influx of the Moors during the Middle Ages. Our common American perception of Mexicans as "little brown people" is of the indigenous peoples of the country, who are actually Native Americans and are the majority population of Mexico.

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Vortigern99
                  Well, they can be 100% Mexican and still be/look "white". The Spaniards, after all, who colonized Mexico, were a Germanic people before the influx of the Moors during the Middle Ages. Our common American perception of Mexicans as "little brown people" is of the indigenous peoples of the country, who are actually Native Americans and are the majority population of Mexico.
                  Boy, those Moors got around, didn't they?

Insightful post, man.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Hotfoot
                    Dazed and Confused
                    • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by theantiquetiger
                    I thought this was a thread about an alcoholic drink, like a white russian but with tequila instead of vodka!!!
                    Tequila, Coffee Liqueur and Cream =
                    Too many toys. Not enough space!

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Vortigern99

Ah...I get now, thanks!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Vortigern99
                        Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                        • Jul 2, 2006

It's especially odd because on some questionnaires, at least here in Texas, Hispanics are considered "white" and grouped together in the same race/ethnicity. But the majority of New World Hispanics (Mexican, Puerto Ricans, the various South American countries) have Native American ancestry, and little to no Spanish blood.

Then again, all these "races" are just inventions anyway, a convenient but misleading form of categorization, since we're all 99.99% genetically similar, and as megoat came close to explaining, above, ethnicity is determined by one's cultural heritage, not one's bloodline. Nationality is another confusing factor, since an inner city person, for example, has an entirely distinct culture from a rural person or a suburban person, even though they may share the same "race" and nationality.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Comment

• Cosmicman
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 12, 2005

Southern Wisconsin has a serious infestation of "white/black kids"

They are all over. White kids acting like they are black. It is amusing seeing some of these kids.
                          These kids are even more amusing to see and how they talk and carry themselves.
                          More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• Joe90
                            Most Special Agent
                            • Feb 23, 2008

Yes, the term Hispanic identifies people of the ancient Roman province Hispania, a region inhabited by Celto-Germanic groups like the Iberians and Lusitanians. Somehow it has morphed into a descriptor for people of mixed (but predominantly Indian) heritage in Latin America. I have actually been "corrected" when I asserted that Hispanic is a descriptor for European inhabitants of the Iberian peninsula. Compare Mexico to Canada: Canada was invaded/settled by Europeans. The Native population is small, the mixed ancestry population -- the metis -- is larger, and the European population is largest. Now historically Mexico has the same groups but different ratios: a large population of Natives, a larger population of mixed blood -- mestizo -- and a small population of European immigrants.

The late Ricardo Montalban, a Mexican, was 100% European background, even though his family had lived in Mexico for generations. In this photo the girl in the middle has the classic looks of a Castilian. Actually, if I had to guess, I'd say she was from Portugal. And I'd put money on the other two having roots in the Spanish province of Galicia. They look more Scots/Irish. Galica = Gaul = Celts = Scots/Irish. But they may be descendants of Scots/Irish immigrants who chose to side with Mexico when Texas decided to "secede".

90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• toys2cool
                              Ultimate Mego Warrior
                              • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Wrathdemon
                              Southern Wisconsin has a serious infestation of "white/black kids"

They are all over. White kids acting like they are black. It is amusing seeing some of these kids.
                              These kids are even more amusing to see and how they talk and carry themselves.
                              http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...s/whigger3.jpg
                              lmao! I see this every single day of my life here in Miami

It's even funnier when they open theirs mouths and speak

It's probably cause you're so close to Chicago Cat
                              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Vortigern99
                                Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                                • Jul 2, 2006

Good post, Joe90. You've expanded on my generalizations with a much more educated explanation. Anyone looking to understand this "white Mexican" phenom need only read your above post to understand it.

The only statement of yours I would take issue with is that "Galicia = Gaul = Celts = Scots/Irish". Celticism is and was an ethnicity, not a bloodline, and in fact the indigenous peoples of France/Gaul and Ireland/Scotland at the time of Julius Caesar were a broad mixture of "races", rather than a homogenous stock of red-haired, blue- or green-eyed "white people". The Welsh, for example, and the so-called "Black Irish" are thought to represent the more ancient population of Britain and the Iberian peninsula: short, dark peoples who are probably synonymous with the Bell Beaker or proto-Celtic culture of Bronze Age Europe.

But that rather muddies the waters of this discussion, so I'll leave it at that!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎